ADVERTISEMENT

For those wanting Tanmer fired,what would you do different?

Kmart84

Gold Member
May 23, 2013
1) No AD in the country is going to put a formal offer on the table without a face to face meeting, especially for 4-5M. If rumors are true there was a tentative offer to Herman thru his agent that Herman was interested in. Something changed on the Herman side and he backed off. Same could have happened with Kirby.

2) No coach was going to accept an offer before coming here to look around. No coach was going to do that until their regular season ended.

3) The regular season just ended this past Saturday for most. However, our top 2 targets both extended their season a week with championship games.

4) If things had progressed enough with Herman that word coming back was he was very interested and planning to visit once his season was over, you have no choice but to wait if he is your guy. If Kirby had been the guy nothing would have gone any further than it did with Herman. Therefore, the Georgia job would have still opened up while waiting on him to come look at USC and Kirby could tell us I'm going to see if Georgia offers before I accept. Then what?

So tell us how you would have locked up a coach before now. Until a contract is signed nothing is final, I.e. Bobby Cremins. The openings that have been filled were not done until the regular season ended. It seems none of you have a clue how this works and think Tanner has just been sitting around doing nothing.

Another thing... I do think it will be a young coach who is a head coach somewhere who can bring excitement and can relate to HS players...

But, we need to copy Clemson's Google recruiting room with our finger on the social media....

NCAA hasn't regulated that and may not...

Reactions: nikolas22
I would go offer Saban 17.5467 repeating million to come here. And get Urban Meyer to run the O and offer 13.389 million. Plus Gary Patterson to run the D for around 11. 1234 million . Duh?

In three years at the helm, what has Tanner done? The Spurrier debacle over not retiring last year/quitting halfway through the season is enough for me to decide that he needs to go. South Carolina needs a real athletic director, not some washed up baseball coach looking for a cushy retirement gig.

Getting facilities built is definitely part of the job, which he has accomplished, but that is only a third of the job. We need someone who can put the full picture together, and Tanner clearly can't do that. It's time to clean house, and taking out the trash would be a great start. I dread to see who we end up hiring after all of this. If you were to tell me Va Tech would grab a big name coach before us, well I would've laughed in your face three years ago. Now, we're getting laughed at.

Bottom line? Tanner needs to go. Nothing good will come from keeping him.

1) No AD in the country is going to put a formal offer on the table without a face to face meeting, especially for 4-5M. If rumors are true there was a tentative offer to Herman thru his agent that Herman was interested in. Something changed on the Herman side and he backed off. Same could have happened with Kirby.

2) No coach was going to accept an offer before coming here to look around. No coach was going to do that until their regular season ended.

3) The regular season just ended this past Saturday for most. However, our top 2 targets both extended their season a week with championship games.

4) If things had progressed enough with Herman that word coming back was he was very interested and planning to visit once his season was over, you have no choice but to wait if he is your guy. If Kirby had been the guy nothing would have gone any further than it did with Herman. Therefore, the Georgia job would have still opened up while waiting on him to come look at USC and Kirby could tell us I'm going to see if Georgia offers before I accept. Then what?

So tell us how you would have locked up a coach before now. Until a contract is signed nothing is final, I.e. Bobby Cremins. The openings that have been filled were not done until the regular season ended. It seems none of you have a clue how this works and think Tanner has just been sitting around doing nothing.

There are always certain things that can end up biting you in a negotiation. One is to be too set on acquiring anything. It can cause you to lose control quickly. You control the price and the timeframe for the offer to be accepted. If you feel you are close to making a deal you might give a little on the time...but not so much that it can cause you to be put in a bad situation if a deal is not reached.

This is where Tanner seems to have stumbled. He allowed this to drag out for weeks and then have it fall through at the last moment. We are only talking about one week between the deal potentially being struck and the fallout. That means that four weeks went by dicking around with Herman That is too much time in negotiations with one guy. He either wanted to be here or he did not. It should have been much easier than that if he wanted the job.

The next problem was the leak. If you have a leak on a sensitive matter such as this....then too many people knew. Also what is it with all the cryptic updates and such. Those just intensifies the speculation. It is amateurish to do that. You should keep everything in the dark and let people speculate with no real definitive answers about anything. Hell....we did not know about FM until the deal was done and he was practically out the door at K-State.

Without knowing all the ins and outs....which I fully admit nobody but a select few know. It is obvious that there were certain negotiation principals that if they had been better followed would have us farther along than we are now. It has been sloppily done and if the truth is known the fact it leaked probably indicated to Herman he was dealing with an amateur outfit here.

Last edited:
Reactions: robertfootball
In three years at the helm, what has Tanner done? The Spurrier debacle over not retiring last year/quitting halfway through the season is enough for me to decide that he needs to go. South Carolina needs a real athletic director, not some washed up baseball coach looking for a cushy retirement gig.

Getting facilities built is definitely part of the job, which he has accomplished, but that is only a third of the job. We need someone who can put the full picture together, and Tanner clearly can't do that. It's time to clean house, and taking out the trash would be a great start. I dread to see who we end up hiring after all of this. If you were to tell me Va Tech would grab a big name coach before us, well I would've laughed in your face three years ago. Now, we're getting laughed at.

Bottom line? Tanner needs to go. Nothing good will come from keeping him.

Who's laughing at you (other than me)? Even our rivals have pity on us for the mess Steve Spurrier left us in. You can't blame the AD. We are just two years removed from being 11-2.

Reactions: nikolas22
There are always certain things that can end up biting you in a negotiation. One is to be too set on acquiring anything. It can cause you to lose control quickly. You control the price and the timeframe for the offer to be accepted. If you feel you are close to making a deal you might give a little on the time...but not so much that it can cause you to be put in a bad situation if a deal is not reached.

This is where Tanner seems to have stumbled. He allowed this to drag out for weeks and then have it fall through at the last moment. We are only talking about one week between the deal potentially being struck and the fallout. That means that four weeks went by dicking around with Herman That is too much time in negotiations with one guy. He either wanted to be here or he did not. It should have been much easier than that if he wanted the job.

The next problem was the leak. If you have a leak on a sensitive matter such as this....then too many people knew. Also what is it with all the cryptic updates and such. Those just intensifies the speculation. It is amateurish to do that. You should keep everything in the dark and let people speculate with no real definitive answers about anything. Hell....we did not know about FM until the deal was done and he was practically out the door at K-State.

Without knowing all the ins and outs....which I fully admit nobody but a select few know. It is obvious that there were certain negotiation principals that if they had been better followed would have us farther along than we are now. It has been sloppily done and if the truth is known the fact it leaked probably indicated to Herman he was dealing with an amateur outfit here.

If what I am told is true, we thought we had a handshake deal with Herman. Probably something like the "agreement in principle" that Herman has now with UH with enough caveats to make it easy for him to walk away. I think Tanner trusted him and it came back to bite him. Nothing is closed until it is closed. That said,I would not be surprised if Herman ends up here. And I think he is the best of the bunch.

Bottom line is no one on this board knows what is going on and to say differently is a lie. All you calling for Tanner to be fired do not have a clue to what is going on and to say he has screwed this up is making a statement without knowing facts.

Tanner is a professional and will get the job done. Just because he asks does not mean a coach will come. All he can do is have his pecking order and start at top and if top doesn't workout you go to Plan B. If he hired someone earlier you would have been screaming he should have waited. He is in a no win with fans especially in age of Internet when everyone has a source. He has said from day 1 that next week would be the week, do you think he was lying? Geez!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: kick# and nikolas22
That said,I would not be surprised if Herman ends up here. And I think he is the best of the bunch.
Please just stop. Please. If you are right, seek me out and I will apologize, but for now, stop with this nonsense.

He had to know Spurrier was going to screw us. Hell the baby threatened it several times during his time here. Once the old staff left, then you saw what Spurrier had left. How this comes as a surprises to anyone surprises me. The whole "he's giving us an early start" made most fans clap and chant his name. I never bought it.

Reactions: cocky4
I would have contacted Willie Fritz and Bob Stitt.

Whether he leaves Georgia Southern this year, next, or never, I do not know. But Willie Fritz would be successful here.

Also would talk to Bob Stitt. Herman just thinks he is an offensive genius. Daddy is up in Montana. But so many unknowns with Stitt. Is he a "natural" westerner, ie wouldn't want to come south? Could he recruit down here? Could he put together a staff that could?

Tend to think yes. But it's guaranteed we would score points in bunches, no matter how it turned out.

Both of those guys are coaches I don't think we are considering, and frankly our fanbase would probably view more negatively than Muschamp.

But Fritz is as close to a can't miss guy as I can imagine. Only real negative is he is already 54 (man has paid some dues). It wouldn't surprise me if he sticks it at out at Southern, now they are FBS. Rabid fan support, the players are there for him in Georgia. Only negative is it would be almost impossible to make the playoff.

Always entertaining to hear people with no background in athletics critique an accomplished coach and AD on how he should handle hiring a coach. Nothing Ray has done so far is either surprising or wrong. You target some names. You make overtures. When you receive a no (and we always receive some at SC), you move on to the next guy.

Herman was a good guy to go after, but Houston has $$$$, and he has eyes on Texas job. Kirby Smart would be another candidate but sorry, Georgia is a better job. Now is where it gets interesting. We'll get someone who is good (and not 70!!!). Everything will be good.

BTW, Mike McGee hired our two most successful coaches in program history (Tanner, Spurrier). But he kept Lou too long. He couldn't hold on to Cremmins. He pissed off Fogler. He then missed on 5 basketball coaches before he hired Dave Odom. That search was an embarrassment. Hyman was determined to hired a minority before he missed on Capel (who wasn't good anyway), then chose Darrin 'the debacle' Horn.

It's not an exact science. You don't always get who you want. Ray is doing fine, but he's in a tough spot. Whoever takes over is inheriting a mess. Georgia is a much more attractive job. It will work out in the end though.

Get out of here with that logic stuff. We prefer to hyperventilate and freak out. :)

Only negative is it would be almost impossible to make the playoff.

I don't think it will be impossible.

A good mid major could be in the mix, especially when they bump it to six teams (which I have to imagine won't be far from now). Hell UCF was playing in a BCS bowl not too long ago. As was Cincy. It can happen, especially if a team like GSU goes undefeated, beats UGA and GT in a season. They would be considered with six teams for sure.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT