ADVERTISEMENT

****Friday Night Lights 8/23 ****

Status
Not open for further replies.

Josh Low

Gamecock Central Analyst
Jun 12, 2012
I took in a battle of the Carolinas tonight with Mallard Creek and Dillon doing battle in Dillon. Mallard Creek came into the game as huge favorites but it ended up being a really good, close game. Mallard Creek won 27-21 in what was a back and forth game all night.

Gamecock fullback/linebacker commit Joe Blue was the leader of the Dillon defense tonight. He started the game with his hand down at defensive end but played most of the game at outside linebacker. He made his share of plays from both spots. He finished the night with over 10 tackles, around 4 for loss, and two sacks. He was also in on the play that forced Mallard Creek's turnover.

Blue also played a little bit at running back. When he was put in the game on offense it was mostly to carry the ball in short yardage situations. He probably had around 30 yards rushing in the game.

The interesting thing about Blue at South Carolina will be which position he will play. I left the game thinking he could play either fullback or middle linebacker. I think he could be that bruiser fullback that can make some plays with the ball in his hands. I also think he can be a physical middle linebacker against the run and can rush the passer off the edge.

The biggest difference for Blue is that he has lost a good bit of weight and looks like he did when he was a sophomore. If he can stay where he is weight wise, then I believe he can play defense in the SEC.

I came into the game really high on 2016 quarterback Avery McCall and I left the game even higher on him. I think he was the best prospect on the field tonight and that is saying a lot when the other team is Mallard Creek. He finished with over 200 yards passing, two touchdowns, and an interception. It was a very good performance from the 15-year old considering it was only his sixth start and it was against a very good defense.

McCall was running for his life the whole night but still managed to make plays. The most impressive play he scrambled to his right and threw off his back foot over 50 yards down field and found an open receiver. He has a cannon for an arm and showed it off a lot tonight. His footwork in the pocket is really good. He has a knack for escaping pressure in the pocket and always has his eyes downfield. He is more of a passer but did make some plays with his feet when he had to.

He did miss some throws tonight that he should have made but that will come with more experience. The only knock I can think of on McCall is his height. He is around 6-foot right now but I'm not concerned with that. He is a player and I think he is the real deal.

Here are some stats I've been able to gather on the 2014 commits:

Bryson Allen-Williams: Cedar Grove lost their season opener to Tucker 51-12. Allen-Williams said he had 13 tackles and one sack in the loss.

Joe Blue: Dillon lost their opener to Mallard Creek 27-21. Blue had over 10 tackles, four for loss, and two sacks in the loss. He also had over 30 yards rushing.

K.C. Crosby: Bamberg-Ehrhardt lost their opener to Orangeburg-Wilkinson 34-7. Crosby played a lot of quarterback in the game and had two interceptions. He did catch a pass for eight yards.

Shaq Davidson: Gaffney lost their opener to Northwestern 51-19. Davidson did not play in the game because of a thumb injury. He could return to action any week.

Terry Googer: Woodward Academy lost their opener to Lovett 21-14. Googer had a 6-yard touchdown run in the loss.

Wesley Green: ML King doesn't open their season until next Saturday against Blanche Ely (Fla.).

Al Harris Jr.: St. Thomas Aquinas won their opener against Dillard 21-10 Thursday night. Harris played cornerback the whole game and finished with two tackles.

Abu Lamin: Fort Scott opens their season Saturday.

Kalan Ritchie: Goose Creek won a scrimmage game over Berkeley 34-20. Ritchie played only tight end and was only targeted one time in the game. He said he did good job blocking.

Darin Smalls: Summerville won a scrimmage game 17-0. Smalls said he had a couple tackles in the win.

Taylor Stallworth: Murphy opens their season next Friday night.

Jhaustin Thomas: Trinity Valley Community College opens their season Saturday.

Malik Young: Woodmont opens their season next Friday night against Wren.

2015 Commits:

Shameik Blackshear: Bluffton beat Whale Branch 44-0 in their opener. Blackshear didn't play the second half because of a tender right shoulder and collarbone. He will get an X-Ray. Not sure what he did in the first half.

Arden Key: ML King doesn't open their season until next Saturday against Blanche Ely (Fla.).

Chauncey Rivers: Stephenson doesn't open their season until next Saturday.

Sherrod Pittman: First Coast lost 17-9 in a scrimmage game. Pittman had over 15 tackles, forced fumble, and a sack. He is playing middle linebacker.

2014, 2015, and 2016 Targets:

2014 Quarterback Bo Baldwin (Aiken, S.C./South Aiken) was 4-of-9 passing for 96 yards and two touchdowns in a 40-12 win. He also had 31 yards rushing on six carries and a touchdown.

2014 Running back Derrell Scott (Havelock, N.C.) had two rushing touchdowns (38 yards and 10 yards) in a 28-6 win.

2014 Receiver Braxton Berrios (Raleigh, N.C./Leesville Road) had 206 yards rushing on eight carries and four touchdowns in a blowout win. He only played the first half.

2014 Offensive lineman Donell Stanley (Latta, S.C.) may have dislocated his pinky finger during their game tonight. He finished the game with the injury.

2015 Running back Bryce Love (Wake Forest, N.C./Wake Forest-Rolesville) had over 100 yards rushing and two touchdowns in a win.

2015 Defensive tackle Albert Huggins (Orangeburg, S.C.) had five tackles in a win tonight.

2015 Defensive end Darian Roseboro (Lincolnton, N.C.) had 15 tackles and four sacks tonight.

2015 Linebacker John Sutton (Swansea, S.C.) had two touchdown runs tonight. He also had around 10 tackles on defense.

2016 Receiver Bryan Edwards (Conway, S.C.) had 17 catches for 180 yards and a touchdown tonight.

2015 Receiver Michael Bowman (Havelock, N.C.) had a 62 yard touchdown reception in a 28-6 win.

This post was edited on 8/24 4:11 AM by Josh Low

This post was edited on 8/26 10:03 PM by Chris Clark

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News