ADVERTISEMENT

Fundamental baseball

Cocky4SC

Dec 2, 2014
Spartanburg SC
Do we still wonder why everyone is complaining about Holbrook??? You have the tying run standing on second with NO OUTS!!! We don't try to move it over WHY? Another lost to an instate team who is sub .500 on the year. Yeah, how does that series win over Vandy look now once the garnet glasses are taken off??? We do not belong in the tournament as we stand. We have won what less than ten midweek games all year?!?! Smh.

From David Cloniger

@DCTheState: The Gamecocks got four hits, three against a Furman pitcher who entered the game with a 6.15 ERA. Walked once and struck out seven times.

Hey now, midweek games don't matter. So at least that's what gets posted on here by many with garnet glasses.

On a night where we struggled to hit, why oh why do you not bunt??? It is freaking baseball 101 in that situation, especially with the way our hitting had gone.

I'm probably madder about this game than the past few losses. It is textbook baseball. You learn that growing up, especially if you are down in the 9th. You have your best hitter up in Martin with one out and runner on third if you bunt. Heck, a wild pitch would score then run at that point, not to mention putting more pressure on the defense... Way to go Chad. Your recruiting skills don't equal automatic wins. You still have to coach!

I want Holbrook gone as much as anyone, but I don't blame the non bunt on the loss. All Schrock had to do was hit a weak ground ball to 2B and get the runner over. Plus, he can't bunt. (Ex: 1st inning at Clemturd) I just think we were going for the win and not the tie. Anyways, next 2 K'd so it wouldnt have mattered.

I want Holbrook gone as much as anyone, but I don't blame the non bunt on the loss. All Schrock had to do was hit a weak ground ball to 2B and get the runner over. Plus, he can't bunt. (Ex: 1st inning at Clemturd) I just think we were going for the win and not the tie. Anyways, next 2 K'd so it wouldnt have mattered.

I highly doubt Martin k's if Arendas is at third with 1 out. His whole approach at the plate would have been different. Rather than swinging away for a hit, he would have been protective with the bat and determined to get the bat on the ball. Plus, there would be a whole lot more pressure on the pitcher and defense. Also, we would have had the option to let Martin lay down a surprise bunt for the squeeze play as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: PersonallyFowl
I highly doubt Martin k's if Arendas is at third with 1 out. His whole approach at the plate would have been different. Rather than swinging away for a hit, he would have been protective with the bat and determined to get the bat on the ball. Plus, there would be a whole lot more pressure on the pitcher and defense. Also, we would have had the option to let Martin lay down a surprise bunt for the squeeze play as well.
I highly doubt Martin k's also if Max bunts. Furman would have probably would have walked him and then your best hitter never gets an opportunity to swing the bat.

Do we still wonder why everyone is complaining about Holbrook??? You have the tying run standing on second with NO OUTS!!! We don't try to move it over WHY? Another lost to an instate team who is sub .500 on the year. Yeah, how does that series win over Vandy look now once the garnet glasses are taken off??? We do not belong in the tournament as we stand. We have won what less than ten midweek games all year?!?! Smh.
Totally disagree. The 2 lefty that were up Shrock and K - mart both hit the ball to the right 90% of the time.

Totally disagree. The 2 lefty that were up Shrock and K - mart both hit the ball to the right 90% of the time.
Jeff, I usually agree with you, but I don't think that because of what they do most of the time changes statistically how you should play that situation. We had four hits all game. I think we would have been better off bunting. It changes the whole flow of that inning. The pitcher gained more and more confidence after the first strikeout of the ninth. I think we all can agree that Holbrook has a lot of questions to answer.

Jeff, I usually agree with you, but I don't think that because of what they do most of the time changes statistically how you should play that situation. We had four hits all game. I think we would have been better off bunting. It changes the whole flow of that inning. The pitcher gained more and more confidence after the first strikeout of the ninth. I think we all can agree that Holbrook has a lot of questions to answer.

It's not a no-brainer though. This is something that different coaches would handle different ways.

You have to bunt there considering how we've been swinging the bat. Especially with us hitting so many flyballs. We had 3 hits the whole game, so you've got to get the tying run 90ft from home. It opens up so many more ways that run can score without needing a hit.

Yes they would've walked Martin to setup a potential double play, but the odds would've been more in our favor of getting that run home than hitting into a dbl play.

We could've scored with a passed ball, error, sac fly, fielder's choice, balk or base hit. That run only scores from 2nd with an error or base hit (maybe), on a night where we couldn't buy a hit.

It's baseball 101 or should've been at least.

Reactions: PersonallyFowl

2015 USC Baseball and "Fundament15als" is oxymoronic and doesn't below in the same sentence.

This is the worse we have looked and played in a long time. This not "just baseball" as some guys with garnet glasses on here want you to believe. This is a team with limited skills, poorly coached, and one without leadership.
It is hard to believe we have lost so much talent and replaced it with this bunch who cannot hit, cannot field and certainly has little baseball sense.

It is not going to get any better next year either.... We simply do not have the players coming that can step in and help us catch up. Chad has his work cut out for him as he now has to rebuild the program. I hope he makes the right decisions when he starts back on this challenge.

This is the worse we have looked and played in a long time. This not "just baseball" as some guys with garnet glasses on here want you to believe. This is a team with limited skills, poorly coached, and one without leadership.
It is hard to believe we have lost so much talent and replaced it with this bunch who cannot hit, cannot field and certainly has little baseball sense.

It is not going to get any better next year either.... We simply do not have the players coming that can step in and help us catch up. Chad has his work cut out for him as he now has to rebuild the program. I hope he makes the right decisions when he starts back on this challenge.

I guess since the disgruntled fans on here say we have nothing coming in next year to help the team, Baseball America and Perfect Game will have to redo their baseball recruiting rankings. Baseball America has our incoming class ranked 5th, Perfect Game 7th. We currently have 6 pitchers committed that have fastballs that have been clocked in the 90's. Have you even looked at the incoming class and the one following? We also have two 6'4" catchers. Both sites also talk about the plus bats that our position players coming in have.

Agree-We certainly hit enough fly outs, seem like we could hit one when we really could use one!! o_O

I thought Holbrook did the right thing. 2 left handed batters who hit the ball to the right side of the field most of the time.

Jeff, regardless of whether they were lefties or not, you still bunt. Swinging doesn't guarantee moving the runner over. If you bunt, you have a better chance.

All of you are assuming Max could get a bunt down. I've seen Max try to bunt twice this year, both times were pretty ugly, and neither were successful. There was a better chance of him hitting something to the 1st base side to move DC over than a bunt. I'm sure that factored in the decision

In addition, from baseball 101 coaching guidelines the strategy is to play to win on the road and tie the game at home. That is what Holbrook did. Guess some of you aren't quite as smart as you thought you were..

Last edited:
Dude I play a lot of ball. You don't know what you're talking about.But it's over time to move on.

You're sad . .
th

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT