ADVERTISEMENT

Gamecock athlete who has made the most money from their

Judson1

Jul 31, 2008
professional career? Initially I would say Clowney but there have been others who have been playing longer. Maybe a baseball or basketball player?
Who do you think it is?

It will be Clowney soon. That #1 pick money keeps you out of reach from a lot of really successful guys, even if they play for years longer than you. Right now Clowney is sitting on about $62M in earnings, but John Abraham is at $70M in career earnings. I can't think of anyone else that may be close to them.

Edit: Alshon is up to $62M so far as well.

Edit II: Melvin Ingram up to $81M!!

Last edited:
It will be Clowney soon. That #1 pick money keeps you out of reach from a lot of really successful guys, even if they play for years longer than you. Right now Clowney is sitting on about $62M in earnings, but John Abraham is at $70M in career earnings. I can't think of anyone else that may be close to them.

Edit: Alshon is up to $62M so far as well.
How about Gilmore and Ingram? Seems like they should be in the ballpark of the two mentioned?

Joseph - good call. $85M. The current leader in the clubhouse.

Bradley coming in at a paltry $24M. C'mon JBJ, step up!

Bradley played several years on a contract that didn’t pay much. If he could hit a little better he may have been the leader here.

Reactions: uscnoklahoma2
I think a better indicator would be net worth once their career is over. This would show who was smart with their money, and that is far more valuable than the amount of a contract.
For fun, rank them in order of who you think spent and invested wisely. I am probably way off.

Gilmore
Ingram
A.J.
Clowney
Joseph

Clowney net worth: $13 M
Alshon net worth $3.3 M
Gilmore net worth $30 M
Ingram Net worth $22M
J Joseph Net worth $35 M
From celebrity net worth website. I suppose this includes cash, debt and holdings. Who knows how accurate it is. Taxes, spending habits, money goes fast- Look at Mike Tyson, net worth of around $3 M but his total career earnings was closer to $700M

Clowney net worth: $13 M
Alshon net worth $3.3 M
Gilmore net worth $30 M
Ingram Net worth $22M
J Joseph Net worth $35 M
From celebrity net worth website. I suppose this includes cash, debt and holdings. Who knows how accurate it is. Taxes, spending habits, money goes fast- Look at Mike Tyson, net worth of around $3 M but his total career earnings was closer to $700M
Thanks.
I am not sure i trust the celebrity net worth sites. I looked up Darius Rucker last year and he was around $5M. They now have him at $14M. I have a hard time believing that is all he is worth but who knows, could be correct.

For shits and giggles, I looked at what my wife and I have made through the years and surprisingly it's within $10k of our current net worth.

I was thinking about how we compare to these athletes and if our curve is normal.

Gilmore is in for another Payday just probably not in NE . Clowney will be lucky if he can get a 3rd of what he thinks he is worth . His “prove it” year proved he can’t stay healthy again .

$52M. He's done ok for a guy I'll only remember as the one that dropped the pass at the goal line vs. Auburn.
tenor.gif

For fun, rank them in order of who you think spent and invested wisely. I am probably way off.

Gilmore
Ingram
A.J.
Clowney
Joseph
It seems weird to say about a guy who owns a Bentley but Clowney isn't as frivolous as you'd expect a dude who came up like he did and got money in his 20s. He took care of his mom, has a nice house, a Bentley and a Dodge but beyond that he doesn't dress too flashy, could easily have a fleet of cars and a dozen houses and seems to be satisfied with having some creature comforts but not more than he'd get use out of.

It seems weird to say about a guy who owns a Bentley but Clowney isn't as frivolous as you'd expect a dude who came up like he did and got money in his 20s. He took care of his mom, has a nice house, a Bentley and a Dodge but beyond that he doesn't dress too flashy, could easily have a fleet of cars and a dozen houses and seems to be satisfied with having some creature comforts but not more than he'd get use out of.
Sounds like a real smart guy. What area of the country does he live in now?

Any who have done well in business etc? I know Todd and Tommy are lawyers in Columbia. Ryan Brewer has some kind of business. The NFL guys already listed are probably tops, but curious how profiting off your name/image plays out in other fields

Reactions: SCexpat38
Sounds like a real smart guy. What area of the country does he live in now?
I think his permanent residence is in Texas still, though obviously he just have some sort of accommodations in Tennessee. I could be wrong about everything though, just what I've heard.

Reactions: cocknjax
Any who have done well in business etc? I know Todd and Tommy are lawyers in Columbia. Ryan Brewer has some kind of business. The NFL guys already listed are probably tops, but curious how profiting off your name/image plays out in other fields

I think Sidney Rice took care to look out for his post-NFL future. I saw a couple of articles years ago about that. Just Googled and found a few.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/davidl...thy-investment-in-his-future/?sh=262c6bd88f06

https://www.geekwire.com/2017/forme...as been a,Rice is getting into cryptocurrency.

Reactions: SCexpat38
I think a better indicator would be net worth once their career is over. This would show who was smart with their money, and that is far more valuable than the amount of a contract.
Stewardship matters, as Bernie Kosar and Warren Sapp would attest. Kosar now has an estimated net worth of $100,000. That's tragic, and all because he gave in to his father's pressure to be his financial manager. He was the football equivalent of Rocky's uncle.

For shits and giggles, I looked at what my wife and I have made through the years and surprisingly it's within $10k of our current net worth.

I was thinking about how we compare to these athletes and if our curve is normal.
Vienna, what site did u use for your net worth?

So you are saying your net worth is basically equal to your aggregate income? That would be extremely good for salaried people. Would have to have some great investments to do that. Even harder for an athlete with their high tax rates.

Wanna hear a sad story ... one of my buddy’s went to high school when Trent Richardson and they still keep in touch . Trent and his family came from a very tough neighborhood in Pensacola and when he signed his first contract he got all of his family out . Parents , Grandparents , Aunts , Uncles , cousins , EVERYBODY . Bought them houses , cars , paid off all their debt . My buddy said when Trent was in Cleveland he was still driving the Honda Civic he drove at Bama . 5 years later he’s out of the league . Most of his family still living large and Trent is just getting by . Makes me sad that these kids try to do right by everybody and end up getting screwed , even by their own families .

So you are saying your net worth is basically equal to your aggregate income? That would be extremely good for salaried people. Would have to have some great investments to do that. Even harder for an athlete with their high tax rates.
Agreed. I have some decent investment but have maxed out my 401k for the last 25 years. Also max out my roth IRA (backdoor). My wife does the same. Investments are a big part of it but some penny pinching and saving early got me here.

Last edited:
Wanna hear a sad story ... one of my buddy’s went to high school when Trent Richardson and they still keep in touch . Trent and his family came from a very tough neighborhood in Pensacola and when he signed his first contract he got all of his family out . Parents , Grandparents , Aunts , Uncles , cousins , EVERYBODY . Bought them houses , cars , paid off all their debt . My buddy said when Trent was in Cleveland he was still driving the Honda Civic he drove at Bama . 5 years later he’s out of the league . Most of his family still living large and Trent is just getting by . Makes me sad that these kids try to do right by everybody and end up getting screwed , even by their own families .

His family sounds like a bunch of dirt bags. But, like too many players, aside from being overly generous with his family he spent his money foolishly.

Former NFL Player Trent Richardson Lost Over $1 Million to His Own Family (sportscasting.com)

I’d be curious how Big George is doing? Inspite of his early troubles, I seem to remember he invested in timber.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT