ADVERTISEMENT

Gamecocks, “we have a problem”

Cockytalk84

Dec 5, 2021
predictions for the rest of the baseball season. Team is fading fast. Are you guys willing to give Kingston another pass this season and chalk it up to injuries???? I say anything short of a super regional and his a## should be gone…………….

Reactions: cockofdawn
The SEC is a grind. The injuries have made it even more so.
Getting to a Super would be a successful season, and Kingston's job would be safe.
Anything less...

I tend to agree with the overall feeling in this thread. Some of this slide is due to injuries, however the starting pitching (Sanders and Mahoney) has been awful and there aren’t a lot of guys Kingston can trust in the bullpen. The pitching woes aren’t due to injuries.

Cocks are below defensively right now. Even when fully healthy id say this team is average on defense, which would be plenty if they keep mashing and get some better starts.

We've been down 3 infield starters who were batting .300 and their replacements are mostly batting sub .200. We've also been playing without our best weekend pitcher. It's amazing we have done as well as we have.

I think Kingston is safe this year. The team exceeded expectations, or at least they were when healthy. Hopefully we can get everyone back and make a post season run.

It’s cool to say win anyway and injuries aren’t an excuse, but when you have to juggle your infield because more than half your starters are banged up and what i consider our #1 out for an extended period, it has to affect your teams performance, I mean there is a reason they are starting! Get well boys! Soon

And here we go again.

giphy.gif

Reactions: lakeworld
It’s cool to say win anyway and injuries aren’t an excuse, but when you have to juggle your infield because more than half your starters are banged up and what i consider our #1 out for an extended period, it has to affect your teams performance, I mean there is a reason they are starting! Get well boys! Soon
I don't have inside information etc, but Hall won't see the mound again.

Game Three, 2 errors and a balk and the inning isn’t over yet. 2-0
Kentucky. Playing like the bad news bears for sure…..

Reactions: Jbouton2
I have made it clear in other threads that I have zero confidence in Kingston. I gave him a chance the first couple years but he just hasn't gotten the job done yet. I will wait and see what this season brings before i call for his job due to the recent success but I agree that a super regional is the bare minimum. Go Cocks.

Reactions: CockFamily6
Becker walks in two unearned runs and no one warming in the bull pen. I guess Kingston has given up in the third inning. 5-2

Last edited:
9-2 Kentucky, I look for them to fall hard in the polls this week after showing no signs of life in all three games.

This is the main problem, Tanner is the AD, he allows a coach to go at least 5 seasons regardless of how we are playing and even then, the fan base has to become very vocal before he decides to fire anyone. Kingston should've been gone 2 seasons ago. Look at Smith, softball team has regressed under her and here we are in her 13th season, look what he did with Muschamp, so it's time for Tanner to go or get rid of the president and get one that will fire people to include ADs for failure to progress

Much like saying the Yardcocks were back when they were up to #3 was premature, so is saying the season is over now that they're in a slump. That said, if at the end of the season the slump continues and there is nothing to show - Kingston and Tanner should be shown the door.

At this point last season Mississippi had a 10-14 conference reckord. but managed to win the College Worls Series. I guess my point is the SEC is a tough league and teams fluctuate during the season.

South Carolina has shown the ability to put big numbers on the scoreboard, so that threat is there. Right now, I just think South Carolina just really need to get the three starting infilders back on the field and get Hall back on the mound. I am concerned abouth the pitching as all three starters had another rough weekend and this series against Kentucky the bullpen was not good.

Reactions: mikeypen
At this point last season Mississippi had a 10-14 conference reckord. but managed to win the College Worls Series. I guess my point is the SEC is a tough league and teams fluctuate during the season.

South Carolina has shown the ability to put big numbers on the scoreboard, so that threat is there. Right now, I just think South Carolina just really need to get the three starting infilders back on the field and get Hall back on the mound. I am concerned abouth the pitching as all three starters had another rough weekend and this series against Kentucky the bullpen was not good.
Hall won't be back IMO. No inside info, just my gut feeling. My concern like yours in reference to our starters. We don't have a true #1 starter. Our #1 and #2 wear a bullpen out due to high pitch counts going 4 or 5 innings.
The offense earlier was hiding their inability to pitch long outings. I'm on record in previous post stating this team will go as far as the bullpen takes it.

This is the main problem, Tanner is the AD, he allows a coach to go at least 5 seasons regardless of how we are playing and even then, the fan base has to become very vocal before he decides to fire anyone. Kingston should've been gone 2 seasons ago. Look at Smith, softball team has regressed under her and here we are in her 13th season, look what he did with Muschamp, so it's time for Tanner to go or get rid of the president and get one that will fire people to include ADs for failure to progress
The team has been a significant improvement over the past years. Injuries have been insane, but the pitchers are definitely taking a nose dive, regardless of Noah's status.

One of my big concerns is recruiting. Kingston has been in the 20-25 range in class rankings the last couple of recruiting cycles, that dog just wont hunt when LSU, Vandy, Arkansas, ect are all in the top 10 every year.

This year looks like it came together with some smoke and mirrors from the transfer portal. Who is stepping up next year when Casas, McGillis, Wimmer, and Brewer leave this summer? Petry and Messina are already having to carry the load and Im not encouraged by the underclassmen being forced into early play time this year.

We're #6 in the country this week in the polls w/ #3 RPI rank. I guess if we lost the last 8 games along with the regional there might be rumblings, but the odds of that happening are next to none.

Last edited:
We're #6 in the country this week in the polls w/ #3 RPI rank. I guess if we lost the last 8 games along with the regional there might be rumblings, but the odds of that happening are next to none.
You need to look at today’s game against North Florida Tech’s mid week starter. This team will be playing in Winston Salem for the regionals is my prediction

Reactions: turncock
Limping into Arkansas is not a good thing. I see us loosing another series if not getting swept again....

If we dont win the series this weekend we are going to drop out of the national seed discussion. If we get swept we might drop out of the regional hosting discussion all together.

Good news is Casas and Lecroy are back and McGillis & Wimmer may be back this weekend. I wish Hall could return soon too.

If we dont win the series this weekend we are going to drop out of the national seed discussion. If we get swept we might drop out of the regional hosting discussion all together.

Good news is Casas and Lecroy are back and McGillis & Wimmer may be back this weekend. I wish Hall could return soon too.
Winning last 2 series along with 3 wins in SEC tournament would get us a national seed. We don't have starting pitching to win that many tournament games. Even then, we would burn up arms for the regional the following week. Just my opinion which means very little.
I'm hoping for the best.

I think the SEC is only going to get 4 national seeds at most. LSU, Arkansas, and Vandy are all fairly comfortable. I think it comes down to us vs Florida to get that last one. We need to snap out of this funk and win the last two series.

I think the SEC is only going to get 4 national seeds at most. LSU, Arkansas, and Vandy are all fairly comfortable. I think it comes down to us vs Florida to get that last one. We need to snap out of this funk and win the last two series.
Yeah, but if you're a concensus top 8 and rpi a top 8 how can they keep you out and that could be more than 4 SEC teams!

Yeah, but if you're a concensus top 8 and rpi a top 8 how can they keep you out and that could be more than 4 SEC teams!
May not be the case after the last two series, if they get swept by Arkansas and lose the Tenn series they will be out of the top 10 for sure. Will travel for a regional.

Reactions: cockofdawn
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT