ADVERTISEMENT

Glad the NCAA continues to get hammered for inequities in mens and womens sports

USC2USC

Aug 6, 2001
Glad to see the media continue to shine a light on how differently the NCAA treats women's and men's championships. This article is interesting because it highlights how close in popularity (tv ratings, attendance, etc) the softball CWS is to the baseball CWS....which is the defenders favorite argument. Hard not to see that the way the NCAA treats this is actually stunting the possible growth in popularity of women's college sports. I hope our coaches (mens and womens and the AD) continue to speak out on this. NCAA talks a good game here, but simply does not walk the walk.

Good morning. With a popular softball tournament underway, we look at the differences between men’s and women’s college sports.​
-pdkj1Y5pbZ-jfCdHjAYkvnrF6tmXn2Qd73Om1LfywXswSULCclzD1-aoOF1yxSa-WEhOy21TRxZsy7RK6__UOO8WF4IJezri-ASesEbaQaRsYXo0TLENmmn9HLtgIu27KseiRlAB-y8noOkVcvx7yz1oabFmSdhCx6dhrOpYfPUjXtL=s0-d-e1-ft
James Madison celebrating a win over Oklahoma yesterday.Sarah Phipps/The Oklahoman, via Associated Press​

Massages vs. doubleheaders​

The Women’s College World Series, which began yesterday, is one of the most popular events in college sports.​
It is an eight-team softball tournament held every year in Oklahoma City, and the games frequently sell out. The television audience on ESPN is substantial, too. In the most recent previous tournament, 1.8 million people watched the final game, substantially more than have watched recent championship games of college soccer, hockey or lacrosse — men’s or women’s.​
The popularity of softball makes it a telling study in the different ways that the N.C.A.A. treats female and male athletes. In terms of fan interest, softball ranks near the top of college sports. It is well behind football and basketball, but ahead of almost every other sport.​
Yet the N.C.A.A. treats softball as a second-class sport, many athletes and coaches say.​
The stadium that hosts the championship tournament has no showers; players and coaches must instead shower at their hotels. Off days between games are rare, and some teams have to play twice on the same day, increasing injury risk. The N.C.A.A. prefers the condensed schedule to hold down hotel and meal costs, coaches have told Jenni Carlson of The Oklahoman.​
The men’s version of the College World Series — an eight-team baseball tournament held each year in Omaha — treats the players better. They have off days, as well as a golf outing, a free massage day and a celebratory dinner for coaches, players and dozens of guests, Molly Hensley-Clancy of The Washington Post reported.​
The Oklahoma City softball stadium is also too small to hold all the fans who would like to attend, and many games sell out quickly. It has a capacity of about 13,000 (recently expanded from 9,000), compared with 24,000 for the baseball stadium in Omaha. “I think we could easily get 20,000, just like the men,” one longtime coach told The Post. “But we won’t get that chance.”​

Similar ratings, different treatment​

Gender equality in sports has been the subject of growing debate in recent years, partly because of protests from the U.S. women’s soccer team over its treatment. The new attention on college sports was prompted by a video that Sedona Prince, a University of Oregon basketball star, posted on social media in March. In it, she contrasted the sprawling weight room for the men’s tournament with a single small rack of weights for the women’s tournament.​
“If you’re aren’t upset about this problem, then you are a part of it,” she said. (Gillian Brassil has profiled Prince in The Times, focusing on her recovery from a life-threatening leg injury.)​
The video received tens of millions of views and led athletes, coaches and parents in other sports to scrutinize other college tournaments, Alan Blinder, a Times sports reporter, told me. “It’s an issue that has wide resonance on social media, where student-athletes can make their views and experiences known without as much interference from a university gatekeeper,” Alan said. Women’s volleyball players, for example, documented that their practice court consisted of a mat atop a cement floor.​
Equity in sports can be a complicated topic, because men’s sports often draw larger crowds and television audiences. Officials who defend the differential treatment of female and male athletes — as executives at U.S. Soccer have — cite the revenue differences.​
But the softball situation shows how incomplete those explanations are. The average television audience for the most recent softball World Series (1.05 million) was similar to that of the most recent college baseball World Series (1.13 million). And yet one sport’s players get showers, off days, massages and a festive dinner, while the others get doubleheaders and sweaty bus rides back to a hotel.​
Jacquie Joseph, the longtime softball coach at Michigan State, has said that softball players are treated worse than women’s basketball players, who are in turn treated worse than men’s basketball players. “They’re the chosen ones,” Joseph said, referring to women’s basketball teams, “and they’re treated like afterthoughts. What’s lower than an afterthought? That’s us.”​
I asked N.C.A.A. officials for a response, and they did not address any of the specific differences between the baseball and softball tournaments. In an emailed statement, Joni Comstock, the senior vice president of championships, said the N.C.A.A. was looking forward to “another exciting championship series.”​
In yesterday’s opening game, James Madison — appearing in its first World Series — upset top-seeded Oklahoma, 4-3. Today, James Madison plays Oklahoma State, and Alabama plays U.C.L.A.​
For more:​
  • The N.C.A.A. forbids women’s basketball from using the term “March Madness,” The Wall Street Journal has explained. But that may soon change.
  • In the Division One N.C.A.A. lacrosse tournaments, all men’s games are televised and staggered so fans can watch every one. Most women’s games are available only online, and many overlap. “What a joke,” Taylor Cummings, a former University of Maryland player, tweeted.
  • On the latest “Sway” podcast, Cathy Engelbert, the commissioner of the W.N.B.A., says the success of women’s tennis should be a model for team sports. “We still have an enormous amount of work to do,” Engelbert told Kara Swisher.

It seems like Softball gets way more national TV coverage than baseball does. Thankfully we have WatchESPN or we would never be able to watch a Gamecock baseball game.

I think because Baseball is slower paced, today's generation can't wait for anything therefore the fast pace of softball appeals more to them, even though the quality is terrible.

There is not a single women's sport that doesn't lose millions in revenue, these arguments for "equal pay" are arguments for equality of outcome, not equality of opportunity.

Female sports have all the chances to showcase their talents on national TV, it's just that nobody watches and not many outside of relatives of players care. There is not a big enough demand to warrant equal pay to men's sports that generate billions.

The only reason that women's sports still exists is because of Title IX, and men's sports leagues like the NBA bailing out failed women's leagues like the WNBA.

I'll cherry-pick, some data. The women's college basketball championship netted 4.1 million viewers. The men's: 16.9 million.

The CFP games averaged 18.8 million viewers. This years championship game brought in 18.65 million viewers (bama fatigue). Last year's brought in 25.46 million (Burrow mania). But the author can only point to some data from games that netted a little over a million viewers.

The previous poster is absolutely correct. Football and men's basketball are the juggernauts that make the entire thing go. And this isn't just at the amateur level.

The WNBA is an absolute money pit. They survive only b/c they are deeply financially subsidized by the NBA's deep pockets. Take the NBA money away, and the WNBA wouldn't have made it past Season 1.

Well, correct. I'm not really sure I get the author's point. He's comparing two sports, collegiate softball and baseball, that are really irrelevant on the national scene.
Well if they're both "leeches" to their respective schools and draw a similar audience, then you would assume they would get treated the same. Which I believe is a fair point.
Also it appears the men's baseball teams is getting treated better than women's basketball whose viewership seems to outpace them in their respective tournaments.

Well if they're both "leeches" to their respective schools and draw a similar audience, then you would assume they would get treated the same. Which I believe is a fair point.
Also it appears the men's baseball teams is getting treated better than women's basketball whose viewership seems to outpace them in their respective tournaments.

Well, if the girls feel like they are being treated unfairly then go do something else. Nobody's forcing them to play college softball. Same goes for any athlete of any gender in any sport who feels they are being treated unfairly. Participation is 100% voluntary.

Reactions: Cola G'Cock
Glad to see the media continue to shine a light on how differently the NCAA treats women's and men's championships. This article is interesting because it highlights how close in popularity (tv ratings, attendance, etc) the softball CWS is to the baseball CWS....which is the defenders favorite argument. Hard not to see that the way the NCAA treats this is actually stunting the possible growth in popularity of women's college sports. I hope our coaches (mens and womens and the AD) continue to speak out on this. NCAA talks a good game here, but simply does not walk the walk.

Good morning. With a popular softball tournament underway, we look at the differences between men’s and women’s college sports.​
-pdkj1Y5pbZ-jfCdHjAYkvnrF6tmXn2Qd73Om1LfywXswSULCclzD1-aoOF1yxSa-WEhOy21TRxZsy7RK6__UOO8WF4IJezri-ASesEbaQaRsYXo0TLENmmn9HLtgIu27KseiRlAB-y8noOkVcvx7yz1oabFmSdhCx6dhrOpYfPUjXtL=s0-d-e1-ft
James Madison celebrating a win over Oklahoma yesterday.Sarah Phipps/The Oklahoman, via Associated Press​

The Women’s College World Series, which began yesterday, is one of the most popular events in college sports.​
It is an eight-team softball tournament held every year in Oklahoma City, and the games frequently sell out. The television audience on ESPN is substantial, too. In the most recent previous tournament, 1.8 million people watched the final game, substantially more than have watched recent championship games of college soccer, hockey or lacrosse — men’s or women’s.​
The popularity of softball makes it a telling study in the different ways that the N.C.A.A. treats female and male athletes. In terms of fan interest, softball ranks near the top of college sports. It is well behind football and basketball, but ahead of almost every other sport.​
Yet the N.C.A.A. treats softball as a second-class sport, many athletes and coaches say.​
The stadium that hosts the championship tournament has no showers; players and coaches must instead shower at their hotels. Off days between games are rare, and some teams have to play twice on the same day, increasing injury risk. The N.C.A.A. prefers the condensed schedule to hold down hotel and meal costs, coaches have told Jenni Carlson of The Oklahoman.​
The men’s version of the College World Series — an eight-team baseball tournament held each year in Omaha — treats the players better. They have off days, as well as a golf outing, a free massage day and a celebratory dinner for coaches, players and dozens of guests, Molly Hensley-Clancy of The Washington Post reported.​
The Oklahoma City softball stadium is also too small to hold all the fans who would like to attend, and many games sell out quickly. It has a capacity of about 13,000 (recently expanded from 9,000), compared with 24,000 for the baseball stadium in Omaha. “I think we could easily get 20,000, just like the men,” one longtime coach told The Post. “But we won’t get that chance.”​

Gender equality in sports has been the subject of growing debate in recent years, partly because of protests from the U.S. women’s soccer team over its treatment. The new attention on college sports was prompted by a video that Sedona Prince, a University of Oregon basketball star, posted on social media in March. In it, she contrasted the sprawling weight room for the men’s tournament with a single small rack of weights for the women’s tournament.​
“If you’re aren’t upset about this problem, then you are a part of it,” she said. (Gillian Brassil has profiled Prince in The Times, focusing on her recovery from a life-threatening leg injury.)​
The video received tens of millions of views and led athletes, coaches and parents in other sports to scrutinize other college tournaments, Alan Blinder, a Times sports reporter, told me. “It’s an issue that has wide resonance on social media, where student-athletes can make their views and experiences known without as much interference from a university gatekeeper,” Alan said. Women’s volleyball players, for example, documented that their practice court consisted of a mat atop a cement floor.​
Equity in sports can be a complicated topic, because men’s sports often draw larger crowds and television audiences. Officials who defend the differential treatment of female and male athletes — as executives at U.S. Soccer have — cite the revenue differences.​
But the softball situation shows how incomplete those explanations are. The average television audience for the most recent softball World Series (1.05 million) was similar to that of the most recent college baseball World Series (1.13 million). And yet one sport’s players get showers, off days, massages and a festive dinner, while the others get doubleheaders and sweaty bus rides back to a hotel.​
Jacquie Joseph, the longtime softball coach at Michigan State, has said that softball players are treated worse than women’s basketball players, who are in turn treated worse than men’s basketball players. “They’re the chosen ones,” Joseph said, referring to women’s basketball teams, “and they’re treated like afterthoughts. What’s lower than an afterthought? That’s us.”​
I asked N.C.A.A. officials for a response, and they did not address any of the specific differences between the baseball and softball tournaments. In an emailed statement, Joni Comstock, the senior vice president of championships, said the N.C.A.A. was looking forward to “another exciting championship series.”​
In yesterday’s opening game, James Madison — appearing in its first World Series — upset top-seeded Oklahoma, 4-3. Today, James Madison plays Oklahoma State, and Alabama plays U.C.L.A.​
  • The N.C.A.A. forbids women’s basketball from using the term “March Madness,” The Wall Street Journal has explained. But that may soon change.
  • In the Division One N.C.A.A. lacrosse tournaments, all men’s games are televised and staggered so fans can watch every one. Most women’s games are available only online, and many overlap. “What a joke,” Taylor Cummings, a former University of Maryland player, tweeted.
  • On the latest “Sway” podcast, Cathy Engelbert, the commissioner of the W.N.B.A., says the success of women’s tennis should be a model for team sports. “We still have an enormous amount of work to do,” Engelbert told Kara Swisher.

sounds like the author is menopausol.

Its quite appropriate to support non-revenue and women's sports with the more profitable men's sports. No need to denigrate them.

To be fair, the only time women's sports even enters my mind is when people try to tell me I have some obligation to like it as much as I do men's sports. It's only then that I bother to discuss women's sports.

Well, if the girls feel like they are being treated unfairly then go do something else. Nobody's forcing them to play college softball. Same goes for any athlete of any gender in any sport who feels they are being treated unfairly. Participation is 100% voluntary.
That's a very poor mindset. If you put in the work then you should push for what you're worth. If you and your coworker are putting in similar work then you should get similar pay. People here claim all the time that women's sport don't deserve no love because it's not revenue producing, well college baseball isn't overwhelmingly not revenue producing and as such they should be treated similar to the other non-revenue producing sports if we're going to be consistent.

Doesn't USA Softball own the stadium? Sounds like they need to update or build a new stadium.

That's a very poor mindset. If you put in the work then you should push for what you're worth. If you and your coworker are putting in similar work then you should get similar pay. People here claim all the time that women's sport don't deserve no love because it's not revenue producing, well college baseball isn't overwhelmingly not revenue producing and as such they should be treated similar to the other non-revenue producing sports if we're going to be consistent.
Do you have the financials to compare the losses of USC baseball and USC softball?

Well, correct. I'm not really sure I get the author's point. He's comparing two sports, collegiate softball and baseball, that are really irrelevant on the national scene.
And you dont get the point? The author is comparing treatment of players in the softball CWS directly with players in the baseball CWS. And both sports are largely not profitable. So if neither are really making money, why are they treated differently???

To be fair, the only time women's sports even enters my mind is when people try to tell me I have some obligation to like it as much as I do men's sports. It's only then that I bother to discuss women's sports.
Also, if it doesn't enter your mind and you simply don't care, maybe no reason to respond to a post about women's sports.

Reactions: Gamekem
Then don't bother. Go watch a football game.

then people should quit posting about falsely perceived inequities with women's sports. while i don't give a rip about women's sports, i do care to push back on implications/accusations that are made by some simply b/c women's sports are unpopular.

Reactions: BlueCord86
And you dont get the point? The author is comparing treatment of players in the softball CWS directly with players in the baseball CWS. And both sports are largely not profitable. So if neither are really making money, why are they treated differently???

What's the TV contract of the CWS and the Softball CWS?

If no one thinks this won't be a major issue when likeness and image contracts come into existence, they are fooling themselves. The firm that represented the Clemson women's track & field team has to be licking their chops. The end of semi-professional "college" sports is upon us.

Acctually from a womens and mens standpoint from the NCAA ( i hate being the defender of the NCAA) Scholarship allotment is pretty equitable and even leans more in favor of women's sports. As an example Baseball gets 11.5 scholarships and softball gets 12. I know a half of a scholarship dosn't sound like that big of a deal, but depending on the school that is alot of money.

Reactions: king ward
Frankly, I'm of the mindset that each sport should have their own budget. If you can make enough to keep yourself afloat, so be it. If not, so be it.
From a strictly financial standpoint, your mindset makes sense. But limiting varsity sports to those which make a profit has a negative impact on the school overall, i.e., goodwill. Hence the plethora of Olympic sports.

Last edited:
From a strictly financial standpoint, your assertion makes sense. But limiting varsity sports to those which makes a profit has a negative impact on the school overall, i.e., goodwill. Hence the plethora of olympic sports.
How many teams actually make a profit? We'd probably end up with football and basketball.

Frankly, I'm of the mindset that each sport should have their own budget. If you can make enough to keep yourself afloat, so be it. If not, so be it.
Doesn’t that sort of go against the spirit of collegiate athletics? Would you run your family that way? “Well, here’s the new rule kids. If you bring in enough money to pay for your food and shelter, so be it. If you don’t, so be it. We will not continue to keep the children who don’t support themselves.”

I say do immediately what will solve the equity problem with certainty: drop all intercollegiate sports. Send everyone back to school and award all scholarships exclusively for academic achievement.

Doesn’t that sort of go against the spirit of collegiate athletics? Would you run your family that way? “Well, here’s the new rule kids. If you bring in enough money to pay for your food and shelter, so be it. If you don’t, so be it. We will not continue to keep the children who don’t support themselves.”
There comes a time when that is exactly the way you should do it. I reached that point with one of mine. But these student-athletes, if that's what they are, aren't the wards of the colleges, either. There the analogy breaks down.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT