ADVERTISEMENT

Heres why NIL is gonna be especially brutal on USC

Yes and, it does. A look at my handle should tell you I'm a stock market investor and believe in the free market. Are you old enough to remember 1973 and the college football landscape pre-1973? I am. It was not pretty nor competitive for schools like South Carolina. Prior to that, football scholarships that schools could offer was unlimited. The richer a school was, the more scholarships they could offer. Free market capitalism at work. The NCAA schools' Presidents and Athletic Directors pushed through a limit of 105 scholarships per school, in 1973. Additional reductions were made in 1978 to 95 scholarships, and again in 1992 to the current number of 85. If history is any indication, I would be VERY surprised if the NCAA does not have constitutional lawyers working on a plan that would survive any legal challenge. As I previously said, it would be for the good of the college football game, to cut out that cancer, so we don't go back in time to the pre-1973 era. As the old adage goes: History might not repeat itself. But, it can rhyme.

I was quite young in the 70's, but I recall the scholarship restrictions coming down the pipe.

They really did do a good job of spreading out the talent. I sometimes wonder if we should drop the number even lower, but I think when we break away from the NCAA, the new super league will allow more than 86, not less.

I was quite young in the 70's, but I recall the scholarship restrictions coming down the pipe.

They really did do a good job of spreading out the talent. I sometimes wonder if we should drop the number even lower, but I think when we break away from the NCAA, the new super league will allow more than 86, not less.
Let's hope we are not assigned to the pee wee football league while Clemson is in the Super League. If that happens, we will be at a disadvantage. Beamer better win NOW, tough schedule or not, to get us respect. I've no desire to be looked at as another "Vanderbilt", football-wise. And, if as it's looking, he keeps the current staff as is, he better be right.

Let's hope we are not assigned to the pee wee football league while Clemson is in the Super League. If that happens, we will be at a disadvantage. Beamer better win NOW, tough schedule or not, to get us respect. I've no desire to be looked at as another "Vanderbilt", football-wise. And, if as it's looking, he keeps the current staff as is, he better be right.

Clemson doesn't have the money to compete. But if they do get the money, it just means their fans wanted it more and were willing to ante up to compete. I don't like it anymore than most, but that's just the reality of the situation.

In other news, I haven't seen an email recently from the Garnet Trust about progress matching that $1 million. But the match amount from their email on the 8th was substantially higher than the one from less than a week earlier. Hopefully we can take full advantage of that opportunity.

From some of the financial reports I've seen (on message boards, so fwiw), we are remarkably close to clemson, and would probably both be left out unless the super conference stretches out to the 80's or so. (Number of teams)

Seeing where “we” fans are falling way short on giving our $$ to Garnet Trust to keep players from leaving. Well here is why USC is gonna be hit especially hard by this NIL/portal nightmare: Because we are so loyal.

USC fans sell out 85,000 seats during 0-22 streak. We had the best atmosphere in CFB on Kentucky night for a 3-6 (at the time) team.

But then, we are hit with players who wont show that loyalty back. 50% of portal entries dont ever play again. And they’re willing to risk that to try to force more $$ from fans. And they are willing to give up what we would all consider a DREAM of a lifetime, a chance to be a Gamecocks football player.

Its just off putting, in particular for fan bases like South Carolina, Nebraska, and orhers who will sell out the stadium no matter the record of the team, but then have scholarship players bail on the dream if we dont pay even more. Our fans just arent gonna do it in mass numbers
Is gonna? I think it has already been brutal...

Clemson doesn't have the money to compete. But if they do get the money, it just means their fans wanted it more and were willing to ante up to compete. I don't like it anymore than most, but that's just the reality of the situation.

In other news, I haven't seen an email recently from the Garnet Trust about progress matching that $1 million. But the match amount from their email on the 8th was substantially higher than the one from less than a week earlier. Hopefully we can take full advantage of that opportunity.
Looks like Clemsucks has done pretty well on their less funds. Just saying.

Same here. The thrill of college football is just about gone. The allure was that they were our guys. Us against y’all. We’d follow recruiting, see our young guys come in, and watch them grow.

The first problem for me was when guys started sitting out bowl games. Deebo sitting out, standing on the sidelines, watching Virginia beat us 28-0, opened my eyes.

Players demanded that they have the right to earn NIL money. That right was granted.

They cannot demand our respect.

These players are going to kill the very thing that they needed so much, college athletics.
Bingo. It all started with players sitting out of bowl games. These are kids in the end. I know when I was their age, I was immature. Just wanted to do the minimum to get my degree and having fun was my top priority. Fun carried a broad spectrum. Use your imagination. $$$ is being thrown to these kids. Many of them and their families have come from a lower Socioeconomic situations.

Some of us have never had our parents struggle to put food on the table and pay our Electric Bill. Not saying money is bad. I believe God Blesses some of us more than others. Just trying to put things in more perspective.

Reactions: uscwatson21
Looks like Clemsucks has done pretty well on their less funds. Just saying.
Not necessarily by their standards. 4-4 ACC Record 8-4 Season. No Division or Conf Championship, No playoff Opportunity, They took a step back, because Dabo won't use the transfer portal. Wonder how long he will stay committed to avoiding the portal. He still did well in HS Recruiting. But not as well as if he used the portal.

Yes and, it does. A look at my handle should tell you I'm a stock market investor and believe in the free market. Are you old enough to remember 1973 and the college football landscape pre-1973? I am. It was not pretty nor competitive for schools like South Carolina. Prior to that, football scholarships that schools could offer was unlimited. The richer a school was, the more scholarships they could offer. Free market capitalism at work. The NCAA schools' Presidents and Athletic Directors pushed through a limit of 105 scholarships per school, in 1973. Additional reductions were made in 1978 to 95 scholarships, and again in 1992 to the current number of 85. If history is any indication, I would be VERY surprised if the NCAA does not have constitutional lawyers working on a plan that would survive any legal challenge. As I previously said, it would be for the good of the college football game, to cut out that cancer, so we don't go back in time to the pre-1973 era. As the old adage goes: History might not repeat itself. But, it can rhyme.
The cutting of scholarships though was basically forced by Title IX. It wasn't just about money.

Seeing where “we” fans are falling way short on giving our $$ to Garnet Trust to keep players from leaving. Well here is why USC is gonna be hit especially hard by this NIL/portal nightmare: Because we are so loyal.

USC fans sell out 85,000 seats during 0-22 streak. We had the best atmosphere in CFB on Kentucky night for a 3-6 (at the time) team.

But then, we are hit with players who wont show that loyalty back. 50% of portal entries dont ever play again. And they’re willing to risk that to try to force more $$ from fans. And they are willing to give up what we would all consider a DREAM of a lifetime, a chance to be a Gamecocks football player.

Its just off putting, in particular for fan bases like South Carolina, Nebraska, and orhers who will sell out the stadium no matter the record of the team, but then have scholarship players bail on the dream if we dont pay even more. Our fans just arent gonna do it in mass numbers
Nor should they/we

Reactions: bayrooster
All things must come to an end. College athletics, as we’ve known and loved it, is no different.

There’s no Constitutional right for kids to play college football, baseball, basketball, etc.

These kids are going to drive away the fans. Inflation is at an all time high. Families are struggling putting food on the table. They don’t have an extra $50.00 a month to go get some 3 star WR or keep some RB from transferring to Memphis.

All things must come to an end. College athletics, as we’ve known and loved it, is no different.

There’s no Constitutional right for kids to play college football, baseball, basketball, etc.

These kids are going to drive away the fans. Inflation is at an all time high. Families are struggling putting food on the table. They don’t have an extra $50.00 a month to go get some 3 star WR or keep some RB from transferring to Memphis.

People are donating to collectives - collectives are raising millions of dollars.

You might not. The few people on this board might not. But people are donating to them.

People are donating to collectives - collectives are raising millions of dollars.

You might not. The few people on this board might not. But people are donating to them.

The question is will people still be motivated to give if Beamer fails?

Reactions: Patriot321
No, the question is will people give more if Beamer succeeds? And how much success will it take?

Do you honestly think he’s going to be successful at this point?

We just went 5-7 and we are looking at a second losing season without any changes to staff.

Do you honestly think he’s going to be successful at this point?

We just went 5-7 and we are looking at a second losing season without any changes to staff.
It isn't unusual for a Coach rebuilding a Program to have losing seasons. Holtz, Joe Morrison, PJ Fleck Minnesota went 5-7 this year. We are far away from reloading. We need to be patient. We have a great running back and receiver portal class coming in. Something to look forward to. LaNorris Sellers has Mobility and Potential as QB1

It isn't unusual for a Coach rebuilding a Program to have losing seasons. Holtz, Joe Morrison, PJ Fleck Minnesota went 5-7 this year. We are far away from reloading. We need to be patient. We have a great running back and receiver portal class coming in. Something to look forward to. LaNorris Sellers has Mobility and Potential as QB1

Do you expect to have a losing season this upcoming season?

I do, or 6-6 at best.

It will be hard to argue that two straight losing seasons is normal or acceptable for a rebuild.

Maybe if we said those would be the first two seasons, but not 3rd and 4th.

Reactions: uscwatson21
How will the women's program keep up with LSU and Texas who are spending money like a drunken sailor at an Australian seaport.

I am doing like most and hoping for the best. With the brutal schedule we have 2024, It would be a good year if we can go 6-6 and go to a bowl game. However, I realize like many of the rest of us on the FGF, we will probably be underdogs in most of those games. We could have a losing season. But CSB has done well for us in the Portal. We have more hope at RB and WR. Sellars has potential. If he can stay healthy our offense may be unpredictable and fun to watch.

I do, or 6-6 at best.

It will be hard to argue that two straight losing seasons is normal or acceptable for a rebuild.

Maybe if we said those would be the first two seasons, but not 3rd and 4th.
What are you using as a benchmark? We're in unchartered territory with the NIL and the addition of Texas and Oklahoma. Also, have a look at say Missouri's schedule versus ours next season. The variance in SOS profound.

What are you using as a benchmark?

As a benchmark? I would say standard, reasonable expectations for a football program.

I don't think we should be out of bowl contention for two straight years. (If it happens)

I understand the notion that NIL is shaking things up. But if we're saying that makes consecutive losing seasons okay and acceptable? I guess I haven't let my expectations drop that far yet. Maybe I'm just being overly optimistic.

As a benchmark? I would say standard, reasonable expectations for a football program.

I don't think we should be out of bowl contention for two straight years. (If it happens)

I understand the notion that NIL is shaking things up. But if we're saying that makes consecutive losing seasons okay and acceptable? I guess I haven't let my expectations drop that far yet. Maybe I'm just being overly optimistic.
It's possible. Even NIL aside, I think it's fair to say we've never seen schedules like we're playing now throughout the history of our football program.

Reactions: Crazy Cock 89
It's possible. Even NIL aside, I think it's fair to say we've never seen schedules like we're playing now throughout the history of our football program.

Maybe it's just my age, but I've heard the schedule story way too many times.

We do have Vandy and 3 ooc patsies next year. We only need to be 2-6 against the teams with a pulse. I admit it'll be difficult. Honestly, I'm not sure we can do it. (I think that's as much a comment on our program as our schedule.)

But again, I don't remember a time when not qualifying for a bowl (heaven forbid twice in a row) is acceptable and i worry about it becoming just "the way things are now".

Last edited:
How will the women's program keep up with LSU and Texas who are spending money like a drunken sailor at an Australian seaport.
All sports will soon be affected by NIL and the portal, you will see WBB begin bolting after the season as well. $$ is all that matters. In the end it will likely have a negative impact on "student" athlete graduation rates and the number of kids graduating.

All sports will soon be affected by NIL and the portal, you will see WBB begin bolting after the season as well. $$ is all that matters. In the end it will likely have a negative impact on "student" athlete graduation rates and the number of kids graduating.

Our luck is we will spend all our money on WBB and give up on football.

Maybe it's just my age, but I've heard the schedule story way too many times.

We do have Vandy and 3 ooc patsies next year. We only need to be 2-6 against the teams with a pulse. I admit it'll be difficult. Honestly, I'm not sure we can do it. (I think that's as much a comment on our program as our schedule.)

But again, I don't remember a time when not qualifying for a bowl (heaven forbid twice in a row) is acceptable and i worry about it becoming just "the way things are now".
Schedule story? Have you ever seen schedules like 2023 and 2024 before?

Schedule story? Have you ever seen schedules like 2023 and 2024 before?

Yes, the schedule. It is an annual conversation around here. It's basically cliche at this point.

If anyone has been a gamecock fan more than a couple years, they would know this.

Yes, the schedule. It is an annual conversation around here. It's basically cliche at this point.

If anyone has been a gamecock fan more than a couple years, they would know this.
You're ducking the question seasoned vet. Find a schedule in our past that resembles anything like 2024.

You're ducking the question seasoned vet. Find a schedule in our past that resembles anything like 2024.

Ducking the question? I could say the same for you. You're actually pretending we don't talk about tough schedules here on a yearly basis.

You want me to claim its somehow so much worse because Oklahoma is now an SEC and is on our schedule? I want you to acknowledge that it's a yearly redundant story, rehashed every year.

I figure we'll both be disappointed.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT