ADVERTISEMENT

HS Baseball State Championships

JohnnySolo

May 6, 2011
Is anyone in the Summerville area that can help with the ridiculousness that is going on with the last Lower state game. Apparently Summerville won, but violated the pitch count rule. Thereby rewarding Ashley Ridge with the Lower state championship. First game for State is set for tomorrow in Lexington and is a pitching advantage to Lexington. Now I hear they both cheated and they will wait until Monday to decide, which negates the pitching advantage for Lexington. Anyone know?

Is anyone in the Summerville area that can help with the ridiculousness that is going on with the last Lower state game. Apparently Summerville won, but violated the pitch count rule. Thereby rewarding Ashley Ridge with the Lower state championship. First game for State is set for tomorrow in Lexington and is a pitching advantage to Lexington. Now I hear they both cheated and they will wait until Monday to decide, which negates the pitching advantage for Lexington. Anyone know?
First of all, what happened with Summerville isn't what I call cheating, it was a terrible oversight or lack of knowledge by a coach. Do you really believe the coach would have purposely pitched a guy 8 pitches over the count knowing it would cost them the game? I truly don't think the coach knew that pitching 2 pitches the night before would change the maximum pitches allowed the next day from 110 down to 75. That said are you saying Lexington also "cheated" or Ashley Ridge?

The additional cheating claim is unfounded. The bottom line now is Summerville is appealing the ruling. If a pitcher pitches 1-30 pitches on day 1 he is not allowed to pitch more than 75 the next day. He pitched more than 75 and thus forfeited the game. Terrible oversight by the coach but this mistake is compounded by the fact they are appealing the decision. On what grounds do they have an appeal? Take the L and move on. You look pathetic.

I have no problem with it. It is 100% on Summerville. Either Summerville knew they were breaking the rule and did it anyway or the coaching staff was not doing their job and keeping up with those stats. Either way, it is not the job of the AR coaches to remind Summerville coaches of the rule to keep them from breaking it. And I have zero issues with AR turning Summerville in. Even more so if Summerville did it on purpose.

And after reading up on this even more, I feel it was even more deserved and the AR coach is justified in reporting it. The AR pitcher was pitching a great game and AR was winning but since their pitcher was subject to the same rules, they pulled him at 71 pitches. It was not until the relievers came in that AR lost the lead. So AR filled the rules even though it ultimately cost them the lead. I would be pissed if the other coach ignored that rule and left his guy in and no doubt I would have turned him in also.

Reactions: cockn'fyr
Their appeal is live stream today at 10am. I'll try to find it because I have to know what they are appealing. It amazes me how you can do something wrong and ask someone to forget the rule. Anyone blasting AR for calling it out is ignorant. Rules are rules no matter how it seems.

Arguments by Summerville
1. New pitch rule violates the spirit of the game. Basically said AR pitcher threw more in 2 days. Boo hoo. They followed the rule, SHS didn't. - SHS is arguing the rule - Stupid
2. Argued the protest wasn't made at the right time, which was at the end of the 7th inning.
3. Communication of rule - Said the rule wasn't forwarded to Summerville by the right person. Wow she got real fired up for that one. Also said she couldn't find the rule online easily. I found it within 60 seconds.

This is pitiful. SHS looks like a 2 year old.

Reactions: cockofdawn
Oh wow. She also said those additional 8 pitches had no bearing on the outcome of the game. What a waste of time to hear someone make this appeal. She is really stressed and feels a lot of weight today. She is all about kids. Her coach didn't knowingly make this violation. Punish the coaches and AD, not the kids.

Reactions: cockofdawn
SCHSL staff pretty much shot them down and said the rule was communicated thoroughly and described as simple as possible to avoid screw ups. Something I didn't know is they have a planetHS website that pitch counts are entered into that clearly show you how many he is allowed to throw. This dude is not happy that he is here explaining this to them.

Reactions: bucketdad
SCHSL staff pretty much shot them down and said the rule was communicated thoroughly and described as simple as possible to avoid screw ups. Something I didn't know is they have a planetHS website that pitch counts are entered into that clearly show you how many he is allowed to throw. This dude is not happy that he is here explaining this to them.
Unfortunately this is done for a reason to protect these young ARMS. They have to draw a line somewhere, sorry if this coach and associates disagree with the rule.... Sorta like in Football, you need ten yards to get a first down, Not "ALMOST" ten yards or the defense held you to 10-1/2 "almost" 9-1/2 yards so you are still punting..

Pretty much nailed it when they realized there were other rule changes that SHS did follow. The ole "better to ask for forgiveness and not permission" did not work in this situation.

Reactions: hahnenkampf
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT