ADVERTISEMENT

HSSR Media Day Insider (with VIDEO, Photos)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris Clark

Football/Recruiting Insider
Jan 3, 2005
VIDEO: Click

PHOTOS: Click

PHOTOS: Click

David, Chris Gillespie, C.J. Driggers, and myself were out at the High School Sports Report Media Day at Williams-Brice Stadium on Sunday afternoon.

Several Gamecock targets were in attendance and here are some quick notes on a few of them. We will have video/interviews up in the next couple of days with some of these guys, as well as picture galleries in the near future.

Mt. Pleasant (SC) Wando defensive end Gimel President told us he is going to be visiting South Carolina on Thursday. Auburn, UNC, and South Carolina are the top three for President and I believe it's primarily a USC/UNC battle. President may decide over the summer, or he may wait until during the season and take a couple of official visits. He's visiting Auburn on Friday.

Aiken (SC) South Aiken DL Josh Brown is a guy I saw during the spring at the Rivals/VTO camp in York back in the spring, and he's a good-looking prospect on the hoof. He could be an interior lineman at the next level or an offensive lineman. Marshall and NC State like him as an offensive lineman. Clemson, Kentucky, Georgia Tech, and some others are also showing interest. He's a prospect the Gamecocks are aware of and have not done a whole lot with to this point, but he is camping in Columbia this Thursday. I'll catch up with Brown or give everyone an update on where things stand after that.

It's also my understanding that Columbia (S.C.) Eau Claire DB Chris Moody also possibly still in there), but Jones is a guy they're going to keep an eye on just in case.

Speaking of Brown, we caught up with him at the media day as well. The Hanahan (S.C.) athlete is either heading to the Gamecock Showcase camp or Florida for a visit (will make a decision sometime this week). South Carolina, Cincinnati, and Virginia Tech are the top three for Brown. The Gamecocks are recruiting him as an athlete as they approved him in camp last month for an offer at either wide receiver or defensive back. I think he's a prospect the Gamecocks have a good chance with going forward; that's what I'm hearing.

Hanahan also has a 2014 RB/OLB named Lyndon Young who made the trip with Brown; he's 6-foot-1, 196-pounds and has heard from Clemson early.
I posted this on the board earlier, but Goose Creek (S.C.) 2013 WR Tramel Terry told me that while he did not really want to discuss his commitment to Georgia in detail, that he was a soft commit to Georgia and still planning on attending the Gamecock Showcase. I've heard that Terry has spoken with the Gamecock staff since the Georgia commitment. I think the door is still open here, just depending on how things shake out. It's a situation we will continue to track.

2014 Goose Creek RB Caleb Kinlaw was in attendance and told me he was hearing from USC, Clemson, Florida, Georgia, NC State, Georgia Tech, Oregon, Nebraska, and Florida already. 2013 LB/DL Gerald Turner is claiming offers from South Carolina and Clemson early in the process. Both should be at the Showcase as well with Terry.

Gaffney (S.C.) WR Quinshad Davis was there and talked about his visit to USC recently; saying he really liked the campus in Columbia. He said he hasn't really talked with Clemson lately, but Carolina was still recruiting him. He also camped at Georgia over the weekend and said the staff in Athens said they would be in contact. Auburn and LSU were a pair of SEC programs he said were also showing interest recently. As far as what I'm hearing here, the Gamecocks have not made a final determination on taking another true WR in the 2012 class. That may be decided (with finality) after camps wrap up this summer. Personally, I believe it would be a tough squeeze given the way the numbers are in the class but we're going to continue to monitor it. They haven't dropped Davis or anything like that at this point.

Davis' teammate at Gaffney, 2012 LB Savon Dukes, is really impressive physically in person. He's around 6-foot-2, 205-210 pounds. He's drawn interest from several schools, but doesn't have his test score yet. I think if/when he gets that score, he should pick up some offers.

We also caught up with the Dillon junior OL duo of Bryce King. Those guys barely say anything, but Park listed nine offers (I heard he may have close to a dozen during the event), and King is hold with Clemson/LSU offers. Again, the Gamecocks still have both under evaluation but both have a lot of interest in USC.

We will have video talks with Duncan (S.C.) Byrnes 2013 WR Kendric Salley as well so I'll reserve their comments until then.

We talked with Ninety Six (S.C.) OL Shaquille Lawson, both Clemson commits. I believe provided the Tigers definitely take him (to make sure his knee he injured last season holds up this year), that he's probably Clemson bound.

I also spoke with an assistant coach at the event who had an opportunity to coach Gamecock freshmen Damiere Byrd and Kadetrix Marcus down at the NUC All-World Bowl down in Charleston during the last recruiting cycle and he was very complimentary of both. In particular, he (not surprisingly) raved about Byrd's speed. He said in practice Byrd took a little hitch route and take off 80 yards untouched on more than one occasion.

Update: Here's the link to the first photo gallery and nine video interviews from earlier today: Video/Photos
This post was edited on 7/17 7:39 PM by Chris Clark
This post was edited on 7/18 9:57 AM by David Cloninger

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News