ADVERTISEMENT

I know ... I know , but humor me anyways .........

Gbocock

Gold Member
Sep 22, 2002
Hickory NC
I think this might be the year we have a good & solid OL. I know it's a bit like spring coming every year. It coincides with my hopes that this will be the year our OL turns the corner. But here's why:

- every starter returns. Douglas, Gwynn, Lee, Wannamaker & Moore/Nichols. We have subs who have played quite a bit in Wonnum and others. Because they have played together and been in the system for a full year. Experience playing together in the same system is always a huge factor in OL's playing well.

- Rattler is a mobile QB with a great arm. He's experienced and has played at the very highest level and been very successful. That'll be a huge help in knowing where to go with the ball, reading defenses and helping with protection calls. Not to mention he has a powerful arm and can make all the required throws with no problem.

- Help at the WR position. Vann is back. The kid from James Madison is excellent. A-Brown had a very good bowl game. Leggette is a nice possession receiver. Sampson is a young stud who will learn quickly. He's got speed, runs great routes and catches everything near him. Blake is a kid that looks like a playmaker. Powers has the size and redshirted last year to learn the system. He has the tools. All these things conspire with Rattler to give us a real shot at having a much better receiving corps. I didn't mention DAK simply because I am not sure if he'll be more a WR or a QB. He was a revelation against UNC.

- TE looks strong. Stogner was excellent for Okla. No reason he won't be for us. Bell is a budding star. He'll play TE, RB, Slot, etc. He's a guy we need to get the ball to. Kenion looked very solid the 2nd half of the year. Good solid blocker who catches the ball. The kid from Alabama has been having trouble gaining weight. He may well end up moving to WR or another spot. maybe LB as he was really good there in HS.

- RB should be good. Not sure if we are done yet or not. Beal-Smith was a great p/u. He's got some speed and run tough with very good field vision. Lloyd should be showing why he was a 5-star coming out of HS. He'll be 2 yrs past his ACL surgery. He should be 100%. I suspect he was 80%+ last year. He's the guy who should give us a lot of the "explosion" Z-White gave us. Juju is a great change-of-pace back. Great quickness and excellent speed. Too small to be every down back but used properly, he's excellent. Amos is a big bruiser. 6'2'' 225. He'll give us a bit of what we lose with Harris going to the NFL. I'd kind of like to see us add the RB from Columbia. 5'9'' 185 with sub 4.3 speed. Speed kills and you cannot have enough of it. This has all the appearances of an excellent room with real talent.

All in all, it'll come down to execution. If Satt can have them on the same page & executing well, this can be an excellent offense. There are playmakers and the talent is most definitely SEC caliber. Come Sept. all will be revealed. I pray this is not simply another case of me looking thru "garnet" glasses.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News