ADVERTISEMENT

I want to eat crow so bad; Today was a good start

If one takes an objective look at Beamer's recruiting and compares it to Spurrier's and Muschamp's, there's not a whole lot of difference. It might even be worse.
Those comps are now highly skewed with all the portal/NIL stuff happening. Right now Shane is dealing with a dynamic that Steve & Will never had. For now, it's just chaos. 😬

The real test of good recruiting is how the players turn out, especially the lower rated guys who may grow into great players. It's easy to forget that Connor was a 3* guy and Dylan Thompson was a 2*.

Those comps are now highly skewed with all the portal/NIL stuff happening. Right now Shane is dealing with a dynamic that Steve & Will never had. For now, it's just chaos. 😬

The real test of good recruiting is how the players turn out, especially the lower rated guys who may grow into great players. It's easy to forget that Connor was a 3* guy and Dylan Thompson was a 2ó

The real test of good recruiting is how the players turn out, especially the lower rated guys who may grow into great players. It's easy to forget that Connor was a 3* guy and Dylan Thompson was a 2*.
What is not skewed is how we compare to other SEC teams. Last I checked, we were not looking good in comparison.

Just looked it up again. We are only beating Mississippi State (which had a coaching change) and Vanderbilt. If that's not a cause for concern, I don't know what would be.

Last edited:
Reactions: Crazy Cock 89
If we can't return to the expectation of players finishing seasons, then college football might as well shut down. Otherwise, first the bowls will lose their value, then conference championship games will be undermined also. Eventually, some players will quit Nov. 1 to prepare for the draft.
Some of that is already happening. Some big time recruits are shutting down their high school senior seasons anticipating going to a big football school. One difference is whether some NFL teams see those folks as quitters. Now we can see the NFL isn't penalizing draft targets for missing some miscellaneous bowl game. But mid-season? Missing a championship game? Those might be different.

Not sure why contracts are ok in the pros but not college. College coaches, like NFL coaches, have contracts. The college game cannot survive as is , imho.
While a contract is okay, a governing body declaring how contracts should be structured, what the maximum pay is, etc is what would violate anti-trust. the NFL can only do that thing as a part of an agreement with a union, which is a special exception to antitrust.

Some of that is already happening. Some big time recruits are shutting down their high school senior seasons anticipating going to a big football school. One difference is whether some NFL teams see those folks as quitters. Now we can see the NFL isn't penalizing draft targets for missing some miscellaneous bowl game. But mid-season? Missing a championship game? Those might be different.
I hope to the Almighty it is different when it comes to that. I still think systemic changes to "encourage" full-season participation are going to be necessary. Basically, if you can't commit to the whole season, we won't be signing you - a nationwide policy. It need not be that bald-faced, but it needs to be definitive, whatever it is.

I hope to the Almighty it is different when it comes to that. I still think systemic changes to "encourage" full-season participation are going to be necessary. Basically, if you can't commit to the whole season, we won't be signing you - a nationwide policy. It need not be that bald-faced, but it needs to be definitive, whatever it is.
The reasoning behind the SCt opinion was that you could not decide these issues as a group, that violated anti-trust. But I don't know why individual contracts with a school's NIL group can't be conditioned on being available for a full year. If the NCAA has a rule against that, it is a self imposed injury.

The reasoning behind the SCt opinion was that you could not decide these issues as a group, that violated anti-trust. But I don't know why individual contracts with a school's NIL group can't be conditioned on being available for a full year. If the NCAA has a rule against that, it is a self imposed injury.
Whatever has to happen to stop this capricious player availability will have to be done. What point is there in going on the way we are going? Sooner or later, it's a cluster for everyone.

The fans will eventually lose interest. If they don’t think players are competing at the highest level to win, they’ll quit watching.

The Orange Bowl should be a good lesson for all the NIL loving fans out there. Imagine donating $100.00 a month to FSU for those players that bolted. I’d burn my FSU gear the next day. Hell, I still haven’t forgiven Deebo for what he pulled on us.

I see fraud right now. The fans are being fleeced. College football is a sham. When the majority of fans come to this conclusion, the sport will crumble.

Ok, I can agree with contracts! If you take NIL money you have to play in a bowl game if you are not injured, so right off the bat I could see a lawsuit there, plus you can't force or know if a kid when required to play is going to give 100%, it's a mess.

Ok, I can agree with contracts! If you take NIL money you have to play in a bowl game if you are not injured, so right off the bat I could see a lawsuit there, plus you can't force or know if a kid when required to play is going to give 100%, it's a mess.
If that becomes the rule and every player understands what the rules are when they join a program, it won't be a problem. Sucks that both fans and alumni have to accept this cluster---- for now.

The fans will eventually lose interest. If they don’t think players are competing at the highest level to win, they’ll quit watching.

The Orange Bowl should be a good lesson for all the NIL loving fans out there. Imagine donating $100.00 a month to FSU for those players that bolted. I’d burn my FSU gear the next day. Hell, I still haven’t forgiven Deebo for what he pulled on us.

I see fraud right now. The fans are being fleeced. College football is a sham. When the majority of fans come to this conclusion, the sport will crumble.

Yep. Gavin Newsom and his crooked Berkeley judge who pushed this through didn't have a clue beyond the woke photo op.

Corporate sponsors of the Orange Bowl can't be too pleased either. That's who needs to suffer in order to create change.

Yep. Gavin Newsom and his crooked Berkeley judge who pushed this through didn't have a clue beyond the woke photo op.

Corporate sponsors of the Orange Bowl can't be too pleased either. That's who needs to suffer in order to create change.
Truth, I barely watched any of it.

I enjoyed the Orange Bowl. I knew what was going to happen but it was pretty fun to watch.

The Cotton Bowl was also pretty good. The ratings were really good too.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT