ADVERTISEMENT

Inside the commitment: Tanner Bailey

W

Wes Mitchell

Gordo (Ala.) class of 2022 four-star QB Tanner Bailey went public with a commitment to South Carolina Saturday, one day after he gave the staff his pledge and went ahead and quietly signed with the program.

Yes, Bailey was indeed Shane Beamer's #WelcomeHome from Friday.

Interestingly enough, Bailey was actually the first 2022 quarterback to land an offer from Beamer at South Carolina (back in February) after the decommitment of Gunner Stockton and there was a short period of time where the Gamecocks actually thought Bailey would be their QB in the class.

Bailey, of course, ended up committing to Oregon in March but reopened his recruitment on Dec. 6 with the news that Mario Cristobal was headed to Miami. A few days after that (and before the addition of Spencer Rattler), Bailey and the Gamecocks were back in touch and they've remained in touch over the last two weeks leading up to Friday's commitment and signing.

South Carolina has always planned to consider taking two quarterbacks if it could land the right two and with Bailey they get a player with a much different style than fellow signee Braden Davis.

Bailey's stock/ranking has been hurt by the fact that he doesn't have prototypical size (6-1, 195) or the elite arm strength that comes with a high four-star or five-star ranking, but he makes up for that with his excellent accuracy and touch as a passer. Even without the elite size or arm strength, the fact that Bailey is still a Rivals250 player, the No. 222 overall prospect and No. 12 pro-style quarterback in the class speaks volumes about good of an overall player he is.

Bailey appears to have a great understanding of the game for a player his age with the ability to scan the field and go through progressions. He's extremely accurate on short and intermediate passes with a smooth release.

He's not going to be confused for a dual-threat quarterback but he's also got sneaky athleticism and the ability to extend plays and step up in the pocket when needed.

One of the common sentiments I've seen on Twitter already is, why not a wide receiver or offensive lineman and to that my answer is, why not all of the above? I expect South Carolina to be extremely active in the transfer portal, especially at those two positions, and I don't think this program is at the point where it can turn down a really talented quarterback prospect. I expect the transfer portal targets to become more clear after more players hit the portal after bowl games.

Bailey completed 131-of-217 passes for 2,401 yards and 33 touchdowns with nine interceptions as a senior.

Bailey at one point was going to be an early enrollee but he's decided to play his final season of baseball with all of his high school buddies. He'll take an official visit to South Carolina in January.

Last edited by a moderator:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News