ADVERTISEMENT

Inside the commitment: Transfer portal DE Terrell Dawkins

W

Wes Mitchell

I spoke with a non-South Carolina college assistant who is familiar with new South Carolina transfer commit Terrell Dawkins and was told that he's a twitchy edge rusher who should fit right in along the Gamecocks two returning experienced pass-rushers in Jordan Burch and Jordan Strachan.

Some have wondered aloud if Carolina needed a portal defensive end, but when you look at the loss of JJ Enagbare and Aaron Sterling, and the lack of proven players behind the two Jordans, there's a definite need for someone who can come in and play in 2022.

The 6-foot-4, 245-pound Dawkins will either push Burch and Strachan and possibly become a starter or in my opinion, at the least, could be the next guy on the field behind those two. Looking even more big picture, '22 is Strachan's last season and Burch will be draft eligible, so adding someone like Dawkins, with three years of eligibility, helps space out the classes at that position as well.

Dawkins had a big redshirt freshman season when he led all ACC freshmen with 4.5 sacks. Then he dealt with an injury and a scheme change in 2021. I'm told that Dawkins profiles as a true EDGE guy in a four-man front scheme, which is what he was playing in 2020 when he had such a big season and what he'll be playing in Columbia.

This past season, N.C. State went to a three-man front that featured him in more of a 4-technique role where he was asked to take on double teams and be a bit more of a run-stopper.

Clayton White's scheme should be a nice fit for Dawkins, who was also receiving high interest from Florida State.

There had been rumors earlier in the week that Dawkins was going to end up at South Carolina but his visit at the end of the week seemed to lock it up. He loved White and Shane Beamer and also told me the nutrition aspect (shoutout Kristin Coggins) of the program stood out.

The Concord, N.C. native is set to arrive in Columbia to move in at some point during the next two weeks and will go through spring practice with the Gamecocks.

Never a bad thing to add pass-rushers and never a bad thing for the Gamecocks to keep chipping away at that wall around the state of North Carolina.

Last edited by a moderator:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News