ADVERTISEMENT

Insider Report - August 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris Clark

Football/Recruiting Insider
Jan 3, 2005
Team Notes

Several of you have asked about the status of USC's signees/current players as it relates to the start of fall practice. Keep in mind that these situations can fluctuate, and really there's not a concrete answer to exactly when each player will be coming in. Regardless, here's the latest I've been hearing from sources...

Signee Leon Mackey's hold-up is still with the NCAA Clearinghouse (Eligibility Center, whatever you would like to call it) and nothing definite is known on him yet. As I've said before, I don't anticipate any problems in him ultimately clearing the NCAA, but they (the NCAA) just want to make sure everything is in order. As for his status reporting, I'm not overly optimistic about him being there on the first day of practice as things stand.

On Steven Singleton and Kevious Watkins, they still have some final coursework to complete this week, but I anticipate that they might be able to make it towards the end of the week.

I hear that Ben Axon will not report for practice Tuesday. As far as a time frame for him, I'm not sure but I hear the coaching staff is hopeful he can report later this coming week. He's just being held up by paperwork and things like that.

C.C. Whitlock's status is also not completely certain for practice on Tuesday. At this point he's still eligible, but classes for Summer II at USC do not even end until later this week and his eligibility will be determined after that. It's possible that he will be allowed to practice but that's not a definite or anything. I'm sure we will be hearing something Monday or Tuesday.

I talked to a couple of sources on NEW GIVENS UPDATE HERE)[/B]

Football Recruiting

Obviously, the news about Marcus Lattimore should be seen as encouraging to South Carolina fans because one of the biggest contenders (FSU) is absent from the list. And even though Lattimore was never really high on Clemson (I recall him naming the Tigers his leader for less than 24 hours after a visit there a while back), they did not make the cut either after surviving the cut to eight. Since they are an in-state program and other factors, you could never count them completely out, that is until they are out. Here's a quick breakdown of all of the programs on the list.

Oregon: Lattimore wants to go out west to check out the program. They have some things that intrigue him such as the success of Jonathan Stewart and LeGarrette Blount, but ultimately this is just not a school that Marcus is going to end up going to in the end.

Auburn: Lattimore named the Tigers his public leader for a while after having a good visit there, and he likes the way that they would utilize him there. It's also SEC ball and a place that is close to home.

Penn State: He is very interested in the combination of the football and academics that PSU offers. He had a good time on his visit out there, but again, this is not a place I see him going.

North Carolina: Perhaps the biggest challenge to South Carolina. Lattimore has a good relationship with the coaching staff there, really likes the area and the type of offense that the Heels run.

South Carolina: Lattimore grew up a fan, calls Columbia "home", he has the family connection in his sister, loves the coaching staff and is encouraged by USC's newfound dedication to the run game. Right now, the best shot to land the five-star back.

Cherry Hill (NJ) Camden Catholic TE Sherard Cadogan is focusing on "five or six" schools right now. He has some places in mind for official visits including South Carolina, West Virginia, Wisconsin, and Penn State. USC is looking at him as a tight end or on defense as a linebacker/end. I hear that USC's coaching staff believes his best side of the ball could be defense. Pittsburgh is his leader right now but he admits that is because he has been there a couple of times. He is a guy that I believe USC can be a factor for should he have a good official visit. I'll have a full story up later.

I talked to Ocala (FL) Trinity Catholic WR Kadron Boone about his recent cut and he says that Texas Tech, Oklahoma, Georgia and possibly Miami are in his final group. He said the cut was not easy and that he liked South Carolina but the others were just stronger. Texas Tech is the definite leader for him right now and he said that they were sitting pretty well right now.

Panama City (FL) Arnold DE Eddie Williams will in all likelihood be one of the top prospects overall in the Class of 2012, and I have heard great things about him from multiple sources. FSU, Florida, Alabama, Clemson, South Carolina, UCLA, and Texas are among the schools showing early interest in him. Right now his leaders are Florida and Alabama; it's still early in the process and he will likely have a ton of offers. South Carolina thinks he is a very good player and he's a guy that is a great candidate for an offer down the road.

Briefly caught up with Hyattville (MD) Dematha OL Arie Kouandjio and the big man is planning on trimming his list to around 15 schools very soon. Once we get the schools, we will let you know but I would be surprised if South Carolina did not make the cut.

Cayce (SC) Brookland-Cayce WR Jonathan Rumph has camped at South Carolina and Florida this summer and besides those two, is also garnering interest from Kentucky and North Carolina. He also plays basketball and says he is hearing from Auburn and Air Force for hoops. He would rather play football at the next level, however. He said that South Carolina is his leader and always has been, citing the fact that he loves the stadium, weight room and coaches there. He plans on attending several home games this season in Columbia and will commit when the timing feels right. He's a prospect that has a lot of upside.
This post was edited on 8/3 11:48 AM by Brian Shoemaker
This post was edited on 8/3 11:49 AM by Brian Shoemaker

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News