ADVERTISEMENT

Insider Report - August 6 (A look at LB)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris Clark

Football/Recruiting Insider
Jan 3, 2005
One of the positions I believe fans have to feel the best about heading into the 2012 season on either side of the ball is linebacker.

Why? The primary reason is simple - experience. Position coach Kirk Botkin will have four seniors to work with between the MIKE and WILL linebacker spots and has another senior at spur.

Even though defensive coordinator Lorenzo Ward mentioned at Steve Spurrier's media golf outing that Reginald Bowens and Shaq Wilson would open the preseason as the starters at MIKE and WILL and there will certainly be two "starters" when the season rolls around, I'm told the staff plans on rotating the linebackers a lot this season. It's an approach the staff used last year as well. Rotating two in and two out will help to keep the linebackers fresh, and with all of the experience on the roster at the two inside linebacker positions, the staff doesn't believe there will be dropoff between the first and second unit.

Besides experience (and talent), another factor to consider that should make this group a successful one is flexibility. Bowens and Wilson both have experience at both inside linebacker spots. Damario Jeffery has played spur (and could be an option there the first three games that backup Sharrod Golightly has to sit) in his career. While he opened the preseason as a WILL backer (and played there all spring), he also has drawn some reps at MIKE during practice. In that regard, there has been some cross-training and USC also has the luxury of switching some things around should there be any injuries. From a physical standpoint, Jeffery is the most impressive looking linebacker on the roster, with possibly the exception of Bowens.

Physically, redshirt freshman Cedrick Cooper has been one of the more impressive guys from the moment he stepped on campus, but he is still a young player from a mental standpoint. He flashes some brilliance in practice, but then has some not-so-brilliant moments as well. The staff is high on his on-field potential; he just needs more time to continue getting mental and physical reps so he can keep developing.

There have only been three practices and no pads have come on yet, but the staff has liked what they have seen out of true freshman Jordan Diggs. I think he is one of a handful of freshmen who have the best opportunity to play in the 2012 season. He has the size, he's physical, can run and cover, and more than anything is extremely coachable and eager to learn. He has really shown a desire to go deep into USC's scheme and techniques to try to become a better player, and has sought out Botkin's advice during practice to learn more. In fact, I'm told the staff does not even consider him a freshman at this point because he seems so mature. I think he could help out at spur as a backup or on special teams this coming season.

I recall that when he was at USC, former assistant head coach for defense Ellis Johnson called Shaq Wilson possibly the smartest player he had ever coached during his lengthy career. I have heard first-year LB coach Kirk Botkin agrees with that assessment. In fact, Botkin thinks that at his age, Wilson is the most mentally advanced player he has seen for someone his age. I have talked with folks who believe that if he wants, Wilson has a future in coaching after his playing days are finished. His knowledge of where everyone is supposed to be, schemes, and techniques are far ahead of anyone else.

One other note on the linebacker unit: I hear the group has adopted "Punish" as their "motto" for the 2012 season. They break every unit huddle in practice by saying it.

This post was edited on 8/6 7:08 AM by Chris Clark

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News