ADVERTISEMENT

Insider Report - December 9 (Northeast notes, FL commits updates)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris Clark

Football/Recruiting Insider
Jan 3, 2005
Football Recruiting

South Carolina quarterbacks coach G.A. Mangus was in New Jersey Wednesday and met with QB target Tanner McEvoy in the morning. The pair finalized plans for McEvoy's upcoming official visit which will come this weekend. The three-star prospect will arrive in Columbia on Friday. While you can't ever rule it out, I would say it's highly unlikely McEvoy leaves his official as a USC commitment; from what I've heard he's planning on making his visits. I do feel like USC has a good shot here, and they can help their chances tremendously with a good official.

Mangus also stopped in at Union City (NJ) to check in on OL target Josue Matias. Matias had an official visit scheduled this weekend to Gainesville, but I'm told that will no longer happen. He and his coach were calling to cancel that visit this afternoon. The visit with Mangus went well, and I was told on both Tuesday and Wednesday that it looks like Matias will most likely take an official to South Carolina at some point, as well as FSU who also dropped by the school recently. No dates are set for those, but I may have one in the next couple of days.

Mangus is also set to see DB target Sheldon Royster later on Wednesday. Royster will officially visit Rutgers this weekend.

I know a lot of you have questions about which Florida commitments USC may or may not go after given the news about Urban Meyer. The following are players USC offered during the recruiting process who subsequently committed to the Gators.

Mike Blakely
Chris Johnson
A.C. Leonard
De'Ante Saunders
Ryan Shazier
Trip Thurman
Nick Waisome

I haven't heard a whole lot yet on many of these guys, but I will offer up some thoughts and what I have heard. Of course, I'll keep tracking these situations as they need to be tracked and if anything else comes up I'll post it.

Blakely, USC was in the final three for, but it was a distant third behind Auburn and Florida. If he were to look around, the Tigers would probably get the first look there.

Johnson, showed a lot of interest in USC (had them in the lead/lead group for most of the process), but always wanted to go to Florida. Once he got the official offer he was in the boat there. The Gamecock staff had him on the board as a CB. I'm not sure I can see USC pursuing given the overall numbers and still having Royster on the board, and I think as long as he's satisfied with the coaching hire he's likely to stick anyways.

Leonard, I just spoke to a source on Wednesday afternoon. From what I hear, he's already been in contact with his Florida recruiter. Other than that, I don't have much feedback on his thinking there. If he were to look around some (which could happen, because I'm told Meyer played a big role in his decision), he would likely look at Alabama first.

Thurman, I'm not sure I see USC pursuing because of their overall numbers and still having oversign Josue Matias left on the board.

Potentially the most interesting one is Jordan Montgomery. Coincidentally, Gamecock recruiter Jeep Hunter was by South Lake today checking in on Montgomery. I spoke to one source who told me that Waisome's family was planning on meeting with the coaching staff at South Lake this evening and that it's likely they will discuss this situation.

I can also tell you that USC is well-aware of this as it pertains to Waisome, and it's highly likely they try to get him to visit South Carolina officially.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News