ADVERTISEMENT

Insider Report - July 12 (Latest Recruiting Scoop)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris Clark

Football/Recruiting Insider
Jan 3, 2005
I have spoken with a couple sources close to Allentown (PA) Central Catholic QB Brendan Nosovitch and was told his decision timeframe is still the same; it should come in the next couple of weeks. As for the potential visit to Oregon, I was told it's still a possibility, but logistically it's going to be tough to work out getting from Allentown to there, plus other things on Nosovitch's agenda. One of those is a national seven-on-seven tournament out in Hoover from the 21st-23rd. With East Coast prospects, Oregon typically wants the prospect to get out there first before they offer, and to that effect I've been told that the Ducks would offer Nosovitch if he made the trip out there. Like I said, doesn't look like that will happen. I think it's very likely Nosovitch does something before Hoover.

Quarterbacks coach G.A. Mangus is very high on Nosovitch as I've covered in the past and USC is in very good shape here to land him in the next couple of weeks.

I've already posted this, but as a reminder Seffner (FL) Armwood OL Cody Waldrop will be visiting South Carolina on Tuesday. The Gamecocks are battling Georgia on the four-star lineman, and stand a good chance to ultimately land him. With an excellent visit, I couldn't rule out a commitment but Waldrop's original plan was to visit Georgia for the USC game for an official and then head to Columbia for the Auburn game in October for another official before rendering a decision. The 6-foot-4, 315-pounder plays with a nasty streak on the interior of the line and is the type of prospect I know OL coach Shawn Elliott would enjoy teaching.

Many of you have asked questions about four-star RB Keith Marshall and USC's running back recruiting over the past couple of weeks. I can tell you that Marshall stays in contact on a very consistent basis with Gamecock running backs coach Jay Graham and from what I hear, the staff believes they are firmly in the mix. I've been told by sources close to Marshall that there is a chance he cuts down his list to a more manageable number before the season, but that is not a guarantee. South Carolina's staff hopes to get him back on campus in the late summer or fall. Marshall is by far the staff's number one priority at the RB position and they believe he would make a great one-two punch with Marcus Lattimore. I do believe Georgia is a major player as well as Marshall has always liked the program and they certainly have an excellent opportunity for early playing time.

It's my understanding that four-star defender Jordan Diggs has recently been in contact with the South Carolina staff, and he is expected to make Columbia one of the stops on his upcoming tour of schools which begins in a few days. It's possible that the 6-foot, 191-pounder will be at the Gamecock Showcase, but either way his visit should be towards the end of his tour. As a Gamecock legacy, Diggs has maintained interest in the program but an actual visit should go a long way towards cementing Carolina inside his group of top schools. Diggs is a talented prospect who could play safety or SPUR in Carolina's defensive scheme.

Here's a quick update on cornerback recruiting:

Like I've already mentioned, USC will host College Park (GA) Banneker four-star Chaz Elder for a visit later this month (July 21); he remains a high priority for the staff. Mainly a USC/Georgia battle there with Vanderbilt also in it (could visit Ole Miss as well). The Gamecocks have pretty good position.

Another guy to continue to watch is McDonough (GA) Henry County's Chris Moody. He's a prospect that I've heard the staff is still interested in having head to Columbia for a visit and they're still recruiting him at corner.

I also mentioned earlier in the summer right after one of Carolina's camp days that Lorenzo Ward had approved Hanahan's Chris Brown for an offer at defensive back after he saw him in camp, and he's still on the list at cornerback as well. He's a tremendous athlete - has a bit of academic work to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News