ADVERTISEMENT

Insider Report - May 11 (Updated with Rock Hill notes)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris Clark

Football/Recruiting Insider
Jan 3, 2005
Football Recruiting

G.A. Mangus was in New Jersey today and dropped by several schools.

Early in the morning, he was by Bergen Catholic checking on ATH Tanner McEvoy. He's a guy that could be a QB, WR, TE, or even something else in college and should be visiting USC over the summer.

USC's quarterbacks coach also stopped by St. Peters Prep in Jersey City, where USC has offered the trio of OL Savon Huggins.

Huggins, who is one of the most highly-touted backs in the country, actually plans on visiting Carolina next weekend with his father, I'm told by multiple sources. He will be getting in late Friday night and RB coach Jay Graham will be spending a lot of time with him on Saturday until Mangus gets off the road and back to Columbia on Saturday.

Mangus also dropped in on Pennsylvania DE Deion Barnes. I hear the Gamecocks still feel good about their position with Barnes, who will be in Columbia again in early June.

He also took a swing through New York to drop by the school of Ishaq Williams. He's a big-timer prospect who I'm told looks very much the part in person, and is another prospect from up north that should be on campus during the summer months.

On Tuesday, Mangus will be by the schools of WR Maika Polamalu.

I also hear Mangus will be checking in on LB prospect Brandon Bennett from Willingboro (NJ) tomorrow.

I've confirmed through a reliable source an offer to New Jersey OL Josue Matias.

Mangus will be in Florida later in the week and Georgia at the end of the week evaluating more prospects. I'll keep you posted on the stops there. Expect him to hit the Tampa area during that portion of his trip.

In case you missed it (I alluded to it a couple of times before it happened), Lorenzo Ward did extend an offer to Atlanta (GA) Washington WR Zach Witchett on Monday night. Georgia is thought to be the leader there, but Witchett did lump Carolina and Maryland in with the Dawgs in his lead group when I interviewed him.

Rock Hill notes

As you saw on the front page earlier, Dave and I traveled to Rock Hill today to check out Jadeveon Clowney. He mentioned that USC, UNC, and Alabama were standing out to him right now but that he “didn’t really have a top group”.

I was told earlier on Monday that around 35 or so Division I schools had already been by to check in on Clowney and Southern Cal’s Ed Orgeron was by on Monday as well. He’s one of the most sought-after prospects in the country and multiple folks I’ve talked to believe he’s the top prospect in the country. We will see how he’s rated by Rivals.com when they release their rankings next month, but regardless he is a beast. He was extremely impressive just in shorts and non-contact drills on Monday. He’s got great size and athleticism and also plays very hard, which is important. Some guys with his talent level tend to coast.

As for Clowney’s recruitment, it’s obviously a bit crazy but one thing that is positive for USC is that they have consistently been up there for him. He likes UNC because of John Blake and the family connections and he’s enamored with Alabama’s tradition and defense, but Carolina is also very strong. I talked in an earlier Insider Report about Stephon Gilmore’s influence on the situation, and I think that is showing as well. It’s going to be a long process, but I’m confident Ellis Johnson and USC will be up there for him every step of the way.

From what I’ve heard, the talk of Clowney and teammate Gerald Dixon has heated up a little bit recently, and that’s another factor that could help Carolina in the long run.

Things are still status quo for Northwestern DT Gerald Dixon with USC leading.

DE Roderick Byers is still tentatively planning on announcing at the Northwestern/South Pointe game later this season, but he has backed off of claiming he has a leader. USC is still in good shape there, however.

Please note: If you have any questions at all about this report, please visit today's AskGamecockCentral.com thread!

This post was edited on 5/10 8:43 PM by Chris Clark

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News