ADVERTISEMENT

Insider Report - Wednesday, Oct. 1, 2008

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tony Morrell

Jun 1, 1998
Insider Report - October 1st

With the start of a new football season, GamecockCentral.com is happy to announce a new feature: The Insider Report. Check back each weekday during the season for a new edition.

For continuity reasons, if you have question regarding this report, please use today’s “Ask Tony" thread on The Insiders Forum.

Recruiting tidbits

Despite his rave reviews of his Michigan official visit, I am still hearing very positive things where four-star offensive lineman Quinton Washington is concerned. I’ve maintained all along that Carolina was the team to beat, and I still feel that way after talking with multiple sources close to him.

There is a very good chance Stephon Gilmore’s visit to Alabama will be his last and a decision could come shortly after that trip. Heading into that visit, I think the Gamecocks are in a very good position. This could also be one of the few scenarios where high gas prices are a good thing for Gamecock fans. His family wants to see him play every weekend, and driving to Tuscaloosa and Alabama’s away games isn’t very feasible with gas prices as they are.

Another thing I’ll add is his interest in Clemson did not start waning when they lost to Alabama. It started months before that, and anyone that was saying Clemson was a big factor heading into the season simply had bad information. Back in early June, I was told by someone as close to Gilmore as it gets that Clemson was out. Their staff pressures recruits to commit early, and that strategy pays off big at times, but it’s a gamble. In the case of Gilmore and to a lesser extent, Sam Montgomery, it backfired.

Team Information

Despite what was said in the press conference yesterday, Captain Munnerlyn has not had any issues missing classes. He did, however, miss a special teams meeting and was late to another after having his car towed. He also missed a weightlifting sessions after oversleeping. The bottom line, though, is he hasn't played to his capabilities this year and the coaches need him to step it up. So they are contemplating not starting him this week for motivation purposes. He would still play quite a bit.

For a while now, I’ve been of the opinion that wide receiver Joe Hills had a bigger upside than fellow receiver Jason Barnes. After watching the two in action against UAB, I’m not so sure I’m right in that thinking. Barnes really impressed me and looks to be further along than Hills. It’s going to be very interesting to see how he performs against Ole Miss, as he will be making another start against the Rebels.

After watching some of the Ole Miss-Florida game last weekend, the aspect of the Rebels’ team that really stood out to me was their defensive line, especially Greg Hardy. Carolina’s offensive line and tight ends are going to have their hands full this week and really need to step up and play a good game.

Of course, Jevan Snead has also helped breath life into their offense and Houston Nutt has installed the “Wild Rebel” formation. I think Carolina’s defense will be in a much better position to defend it this year than they were last year. While Ole Miss’ running backs are solid, they have nobody along the lines of Darren McFadden nor Felix Jones.
This post was edited on 10/1 7:18 AM by Tony Morrell
This post was edited on 10/2 7:20 PM by Brian Shoemaker

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News