ADVERTISEMENT

Instant Analysis: Missouri

Josh Low

Gamecock Central Analyst
Jun 12, 2012
I thought South Carolina looked like they lacked energy and were unprepared to start the game. I think it continued throughout the game. Missouri is not a good football team and I don’t think they played all that well today. South Carolina was just bad.

I don’t think it is time to give up on Lorenzo Nunez at quarterback. Assuming he is healthy, I still think you have to stick with him. He didn’t have a good day throwing the ball. He still needs to get better at when to put touch on the ball and when to throw it with velocity. He is better when he throws the ball with zip right now. I was surprised with the play calling to start the game. It seemed like they wanted him to throw the deep ball when I thought they should look for some easy passes to get him comfortable.

Nunez also looked to run way too early at times. Missouri blitzed more than I thought they would and when South Carolina did pick it up, Nunez wasn’t patient enough in the pocket.

With all that said, Nunez has very little help around him on offense. The offense was basically put on his shoulders today and he had to do everything. Pharoh Cooper and Jerell Adams are the only two players on offense that can really help him. I do think they could have made Adams a bigger part of the gameplan today.

I don’t understand what is going on at receiver. I believe they should play the younger players more than they are. They have two former walk-ons that are getting the majority of the snaps right now.

I said before the game that I didn’t expect South Carolina to run the ball well against Missouri’s front so I wasn’t surprised with the lack of running game from the Gamecocks. I don’t think the offensive line has performed well in several weeks and they really miss Brandon Wilds at running back. David Williams did have a couple decent runs and broke a couple tackles.

The defense didn’t play awful but it isn’t like Missouri is this great offense. Missouri also played it very conservative in the second half.

Missouri ran the ball better than I expected and I think it was because South Carolina’s defensive line didn’t play as well as I expected them too. Similar to receiver, I don’t think South Carolina is playing their best players enough along the defensive line. I think they rotate too much and they don’t need to go six deep at defensive tackle. It is easy to see who the best players are on the defensive line and they need to play the majority of the game. Also, I wonder why Kelsey Griffin doesn’t get much playing time anymore. Missouri’s offensive line is average at best.

The secondary wasn’t awful but they also weren’t tested much. I’m certainly not saying they played well. Chris Lammons is the best cornerback on the team and I didn’t see much of him today either.

The talent level overall is down at South Carolina but I do think they have enough talent to play with Missouri and not get beat the way they did today. This isn’t a great team talent wise but it is clear that the coaching staff isn’t getting the best out of the players.

I can’t predict the future but things look ugly right now. A bowl game is looking unlikely. It is probably going to be an interesting December.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News