ADVERTISEMENT

Instant Analysis: Ole Miss (Live Thread Edition)

W

Will Helms

I'm trying something different tonight and doing the Instant Analysis as a live thread. All updates will be in this first post, let's see how this goes.

— First things first, I want to go ahead and reiterate that I don’t quite understand the rationale of starting Collin Hill. I won’t be surprised to see the Gamecocks run the ball a ton in this one to slow the game against Ole Miss' up-tempo offense and bad run defense. They'll need to mix in some timely passes for that to succeed. We shall see.

-- Shi Smith should have some open space as Ole Miss sells out to stop the run. In turn, that should open up some running lanes. It goes without saying, but that touchdown catch was incredible. Good throw too.

-- Ole Miss is going to play FAST. Three plays in 45 seconds with the clock running is an indication of that. That could hurt the Rebel defense if SC can get a stop or two and the offense can go on long, sustained drives.

-- Just a side note here, but Lane Kiffin goes for it often. The analytics say he's right most of the time. Obvious go situation there. Right after, Corral misses Yeboah (One of the top tight ends in the country and the top ypc guy in the SEC) on a wheel route that was WAY open. Mukuamu was beat there.

-- Ole Miss excels at finding and creating mismatches, as well as forcing blown coverages. South Carolina blows a lot of coverages. This doesn't seem like a good combination.

-- Already, I've seen Jaycee Horn give up more receptions than he has in any game this season. Ole Miss has open receivers everywhere. If you we're sure before, now you are: South Carolina needs to score 40 to win this one.

-- Yep, that was a terrible throw on the interception by Collin Hill. Threw it was too far inside and way too high. You're literally begging to be intercepted with that throw against single-high coverage, especially when you stare the receiver down.

-- Ole Miss has so much speed on offense that the only way to stop them is to make every tackle. Missing tackles right at contact makes gang tackling too difficult.

-- Ole Miss has thrown the ball 10 times and I've counted a wide open receiver on nine of them. A lot of that is the Rebels' offense. A lot of that is South Carolina always seeming to leave one guy uncovered.

*Amends previous statement to say South Carolina will need to score 50 to win*

-- End of the first quarter: Kevin Harris is gonna have half a zillion yards and South Carolina will still likely lose by a lot. At least that's what I'm thinking so far.

-- Kevin Harris' best trait (Out of several good ones) is his vision. South Carolina ran a power sweep and as Harris saw the linebackers overpursue, he cut it inside of his blockers instead of staying outside like the play usually calls for him to do. From there, he was gone. His power and speed are good, but these long runs have been mostly due to his ability to find and hit the hole.

-- I'm always impressed with Lane Kiffin's offensive play design. Right now, South Carolina has no idea what's coming, but Ole Miss is just running sweep and read concepts with the occasional hitches thrown in.

-- Is it bad that Ole Miss has it first and goal at the 27 and I'd be shocked if they don't score?

-- Edit: No. No it is not.

-- I will say that South Carolina can do a good job of exploiting other teams' weaknesses. Against LSU, the Gamecocks had receivers open by stretching the field, against Ole Miss, it's that terrible run defense.

-- I've been pretty impressed with Deshaun Fenwick this season. He knows his role as a spell back and plays it well. Collin Hill follows with a great throw to the sideline for Shi Smith. The ball placement there was much better than earlier against the same coverage. He threw it to the boundary so Shi Smith could make the play unimpeded.

-- For the 87th time this season, what is the point of putting Luke Doty in the game if you're just going to run QB power? If that's the only thing you'd run, put Kevin Harris at QB. That's nothing against Doty. In fact, it's the opposite. He's got one of the best arms I've ever seen. He's a fantastic runner. But if the only thing you're going to do with him is run him between the tackles, move him to running back or let him throw it.

-- Kevin Harris bailed out South Carolina with a TD. If he hadn't, it would have been a huge blow to run it between the tackles four times and come away with nothing. I may be in the minority here, but I haven't been impressed with the overall offensive strategy this season. At least the Gamecocks are staying committed to the run tonight against a terrible run defense.

-- Covering Ole Miss is difficult -- Lane Kiffin doesn't give me a lot of time to type before running more plays.

-- Jammie Robinson doesn't get enough credit for his work in the run game. He's not a big guy, but he's one of the best tacklers in the nation (Seriously) and always seems to be in the right place.

-- The overall strategy is to be questioned. Playing a team they quite literally can't stop outside of a stroke of good fortune, the Gamecocks ran twice into the line, threw it (and got lucky to avoid a sack) and then punted on its first and only extra drive of the first half. In all honesty, it shows the coaching staff has little faith in Collin Hill. Taking it one step further, if the staff doesn't trust the guy they've stuck by all season, that's an issue.

-- After the half: Hotty Toddy is still moving the ball, but the defense looks better to start the second half. It starts with pressure on Corral. Ole Miss gets the ball out quickly, but if Corral is rushed a bit, things become easier. Right as a type that, Corral is able to step up on fourth and eight and deliver an accurate pass. South Carolina hasn't been able to string together four straight positive plays on defense. Ole Miss knows it and I can't imagine them punting tonight.

-- There's going to come a point in this game when the Gamecocks can no longer feasibly run the ball. When that happens, the game will be over. That, or when Ole Miss gets a couple of first and second down stops.

-- Jaheim Bell makes a big catch and it reminded me that South Carolina has some good talent, just not enough of it to go around.

-- On third and five, South Carolina went with a power sweep and got some great blocks from the guards. Good play call on third and goal to toss it as well. I was impressed with that drive -- mainly the mixing in of a few passes with a steady does of Kevin Harris.

-- Big stop there on defense led by good plays from Zacch Pickens and Jaycee Horn. This Ole Miss team isn't behind in the chains often and the Rebels don't really mind it unless backed up in their own territory. It goes without saying, but SC needs a touchdown here.

-- Again, this goes without saying, but again, Kevin Harris' vision is so, so good. Two runs, 76 yards and I didn't see the hole on either of them even though both were untouched.

-- South Carolina's defense is flowing better sideline-to-sideline. Well, I type that and an absolute bomb from Corral and one run make it 38-35. That's Ole Miss for you.

-- You have to feel like this is the drive Collin Hill has to do something. I can't imagine Ole Miss is going to let Kevin Harris beat them this drive.

-- E3: Gamecocks have it 3rd and four near midfield. This has to be 2-down territory. It might not be, but it should.

-- It's against the SEC's worst defense, but Mike Bobo's feel for this game has been excellent. He's pulled all the right strings, sticking with the run and pulling out play action just enough to keep Ole Miss honest. Oh, and Kevin Harris is legitimately great.

-- Shilo Sanders got totally fooled by Matt Corral and he left Elijah Moore approximately 60 yards to work. Bad, bad blown coverage there.

-- As soon as I compliment Mike Bobo, he throws a short-field fade to Josh Vann on first down, so there's that.

-- Then three runs and an RPO Pin-and-pull. The sweep was there, but Collin Hill pulled it looking for the screen (that wasn't there). To be fair, on third-and-nine, it's almost impossible for a quarterback to actually choose to hand it off, given the option. I debated reminding people, but he was picked the starter mainly because of his "reads". Not a good look, to be honest.

-- Nope that is not pass interference on Jaycee Horn. Not in a million years.

-- If at any point South Carolina has to throw the ball, it's over. It's that simple. Third-and-long or down late in a game, end of a half, whatever; if it's a "we need to throw the ball" situation, it will fail. It's that simple.

-- Once South Carolina got stopped once, this one was in the books. Hill misread the RPO and South Carolina had to punt. The next drive, the Gamecocks had to throw and it was over.

-- And it's over, 59-42. Lane Kiffin's offenses sure are fun.

Last edited by a moderator:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News