ADVERTISEMENT

Instant Analysis (UGA)

Josh Low

Gamecock Central Analyst
Jun 12, 2012
I thought this was a measuring stick type of game for South Carolina going into it and I thought the Gamecocks probably played a little better than most thought they would. This was a very difficult game for South Carolina. It was on the road against a really good team. South Carolina got two breaks early in the game and didn’t take advantage of either. They had great field position after the onside kick and couldn’t do anything with it. They got a turnover from Georgia and couldn’t get a first down after it.

The offense was one-dimensional. The running game wasn’t good. I think A.J. Turner had two decent runs and other than that, it was very tough for South Carolina’s running game. I don’t think anyone expected much from the running game coming into this game, but to win games like this the running game has to improve. I think that is the obvious takeaway after watching this game.

I thought Jake Bentley played tough. He did have two interceptions but one of them was tipped and the other was in garbage time when he was trying to make something happen. He wasn’t perfect but he did make some big plays. I thought he was pretty good in the first half on third downs. The offense really struggled in the second half on third downs.

I also thought several receivers had good games. Bryan Edwards and Hayden Hurst had grown man type of games for South Carolina today. Edwards made some huge grabs in big situations. OrTre Smith also had some tough catches over the middle. The offense does need more weapons.

The defense really struggled on third downs. They had chances to get off the field and couldn’t do it. They had a big holding call on third and long on Georgia’s first touchdown drive that really hurt. They had a lot of missed tackles that led to Georgia converting on third downs. The missed tackles really stand out right now. The defense was obviously given out late in the game. Georgia definitely got away with a few holding penalties as well. I don’t think Georgia had a single holding penalty called on them the entire game.

I thought Jake Fromm played well but he also completed a lot of high percentage passes. The hitch/stop routes were killing South Carolina in the first half. Jamarcus King played that route better as the game went along and almost intercepted a couple balls. I thought King made a couple nice plays in this game.

The bottom line is that Georgia is a better football team right now. South Carolina needs more players and more depth. They are only going to do that through recruiting and development. The running game also has to improve if South Carolina is going to win games like this on the road.

South Carolina has to forget this game as quick as possible. They have a Florida team coming to Columbia next weekend that is in a complete free fall right now. They can’t let this game today beat them twice. They have a golden opportunity to be at eight wins going into the Clemson game. That would be progress in Will Muschamp’s second year.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News