ADVERTISEMENT

It’s Ashlynn Watkins commitment day

This a nationally ranked player I'm assuming? Awesome she's right in our backyard

Gotta' admit that I'm nervous.

I think she was the July birdie but Dawn is not Dabo and does not demand that "commits" stop visiting others. I think Ashlyn is really torn between the two Universities of Carolina. Hopefully, the very public nature of the announcement in Columbia - from one of Dozier's players - indicates that the hometown fans won't be disappointed.

I hope, I hope, I hope.

Reactions: winloseortie
Depending on the service ranking, shes from about 9 to 15 nationally ranked.

FWIW, she has dunked in many games.
Honestly I think Ashlynn and Talaysia are not ranked high enough. Two years ago ESPN Women said she might be the best athlete in a three year window. Was recruited nationally for volleyball also.
For Ashlynn she has Amihere’s athleticism but a little shorter but stronger. And much more developed as basketball player.

Honestly I think Ashlynn and Talaysia are not ranked high enough. Two years ago ESPN Women said she might be the best athlete in a three year window. Was recruited nationally for volleyball also.
For Ashlynn she has Amihere’s athleticism but a little shorter but stronger. And much more developed as basketball player.
Columbia gal Fulwiley took a drop in HG's last 2023 class rating to #7 that I thought was undeserved. ( I know YOU know) Joyce Edwards is still ranked #1 nationally for 2024.

Really posting for the casual followers.

Reactions: winloseortie
This video feed was horrible. I only assumed she picked us because I could vaguely see a black hat on her head. But excited she chose us.

Reactions: sgacock
She is so soft spoken, I couldn't hear her. I assumed it was us from the crowd reaction but thanks for confirming.

I got the feeling that this whole announcement thing was orchestrated by other and she would have chosen to quietly make her decision without fanfare.
Yes, that's what I've been told about her. She's soft-spoken, team-oriented, doesn't crave the spotlight. Perfect fit for Carolina since she's probably going to have to play behind several elite post players for at least a year. Great to have a home town girl on the roster once again.

Reactions: nikolas22
So the million dollar question is, is this the former unannounced birdie or a different birdie

She hashtagged her instagram photos of her visit to UNC #notcommitted. I took that to mean she hadn't committed to any school at that point, which was after Dawn's tweet.
Good point it's still bothering me that we don't know. I thought it was going to be Emma Risch but she committed to Notre Dame so perhaps it could be KK Arnold but her releasing at top 12 after that tweet makes me question if it's her either.

Reactions: DarkCock
Good point it's still bothering me that we don't know. I thought it was going to be Emma Risch but she committed to Notre Dame so perhaps it could be KK Arnold but her releasing at top 12 after that tweet makes me question if it's her either.
I'm assuming it was Watkins. Prospect Nation has listed Watkins as a Carolina commit for a while now. I'll be pleasantly surprised if we learn it was another player.

This is a big one...college ready from the get go and highly skilled with elite size and strength.

Excellent! Hopefully she just happens to show at tonight's game and we can give her a nice ovation.

I had no doubt that she would stay in her back yard - great get! Looking forward to seeing her and Cooper gel.

Last edited:
Reactions: RoosterBooster1
I believe some people said that Rivers dunked during the layup line at NC State game.
Maybe so, but Ashlyn has done it numerous times IN GAMES. To my knowledge, she is the only 2022 recruit who haas dunked in a game. Stanford and UConn have signed “practice dunkers.”

I knew it was a done deal when mama invited the public to attend. You don't do that in Columbia and then sign with UNCarolina unless you want chairs to be thrown.

Reactions: coolcock2001
Have read that she is one of the best players ever in this state? those who have saw her play is she better than aja?

Have read that she is one of the best players ever in this state? those who have saw her play is she better than aja?
She clearly has athletic tools that are among the best to ever play in the state. That is a great start, but will only take you so far. Good luck to her as she moves into her college years and beyond.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT