ADVERTISEMENT

Just wondering how everyone feels about the Transfer Portal now, compared to 2 months ago?

Southern Fried Chicken

Gold Member
Sep 6, 2022
Personally, not a fan of it, never was and really don't see how I ever could be.

The Portal, N.I.L and the CFP have ended what I loved about the college game. BUT, many love it and see it has the best chance to reach respectability.

Reactions: Cola G'Cock
I hate it and NIL and always will. I played FCS ball in the late 90s and my view of college football will always be that it should look like 1990s college football. That was peak college football (not for the Gamecocks at the time obviously haha).

Personally, not a fan of it, never was and really don't see how I ever could be.

The Portal, N.I.L and the CFP have ended what I loved about the college game. BUT, many love it and see it has the best chance to reach respectability.
It is an unmitigated disaster. There are no rules. It is the wild west and no one seems to want to set any guidelines. This is absolute free agency and there are a number of players who are going to get burned. Entering the portal does not guarantee a position for everyone who enters and you can't really return, so you are without a chair when the music stops. I have no issue with NIL with some rules and regs, which currently don't exist. NIL in my opinion is a far better situation than the portal and NIL is pretty bad. The portal is chaos and if nothing changes, college football will die. It is currently in the throes of death.

Do most players know what’s best for them?

Probably better than adults that have a huge bias promoting their own interests.

Plus, college players are adults, not children.

In a country that has a fair number of folks that say they value liberty and freedom to make your own decisions and rise and/or fall on your own, it would be quite strange to say a certain group of adults don't have that freedom or liberty.

• Love
I’m not liking it since we lost several good ones. But I am hoping that we can use the system to our advantage. If I had a vote I would have voted for things to stay the same. I really hope the people who were for nil are donating to the NIL funds to buy players. I doubt they are. Welcome to the circus.

Last edited:
Hope the new OC brings his TE . Looks like a solid 4 star .
Btw. If they don’t want to be a Gamecock or teammate with the other 100 guys. Then I’m all for them leaving. Better than staying and being a cancer. -

Reactions: hillstosea
It show there's a ceiling for success here. The offensive production we've lost won't be replaced before next season. We're a mid teir SEC program. Llyod going to Georgia shows they can miss the first time it doesn't matter. Eight wins is good as it gets, ever for us with the NIL and Tranfer Portal. Bowl Game will be trash every year, any good players we got will get poached like this year.

I'm for the players deciding to do what is best for them. Everyone else can adjust.
You are right. No sense in wanting things to return to college football as we have always known it. The portal and NIL is a new era. Coaches who accept it and learn how to work it in their favor will succeed. Adapt to the new era, and evolve with it, or become the doormat of the conference.

I hate the portal. If players can be paid now, they shouldn't be able to transfer without having to sit out
Agree. NIL + portal makes for chaos. Its not sustainable at all. No professional league would survive 100% of players being free agents at all times.

Probably better than adults that have a huge bias promoting their own interests.

In a country that has a fair number of folks that say they value liberty and freedom to make your own decisions and rise and/or fall on your own, it would be quite strange to say a certain group of adults don't have that freedom or liberty.

A few years ago the players of FBS demanded, and won, a guaranteed 4 year commitment. That schools couldnt pull their scholarship for ANY athletic related purpose. Thats now the rule for the P5 and Notre Dame.

Is it now wrong to want them to live up to the very same commitment that they demanded from their school? Remember these are public schools, tax funded, so every South Carolina resident is basically a 1/5,000,000th part owner of these teams. Our roads are garbage while our taxes pay for new scoreboards and facilities.

A few years ago the players of FBS demanded, and won, a guaranteed 4 year commitment. That schools couldnt pull their scholarship for ANY athletic related purpose. Thats now the rule for the P5 and Notre Dame.

Is it now wrong to want them to live up to the very same commitment that they demanded from their school? Remember these are public schools, tax funded, so every South Carolina resident is basically a 1/5,000,000th part owner of these teams. Our roads are garbage while our taxes pay for new scoreboards and facilities.
Tax dollars don’t fund the athletic programs

Transfer portal is fine but they should have a waiting period. Many teenagers today have zero attention span and half are on ADHD drugs (thanks technology). Determination and perseverance are what builds character.

The portal helped us beat Clemson because the portal gave us Rattler and his nerves of steel. Spurrier preached that we needed to view the Clemson game as just another game. Rattler had that attitude. For that reason alone I am ok with the portal. Beamer is a very good portal recruiter.

Reactions: uscwatson21
The portal giveth and the portal taketh away. I have no issues with it. We would not have had the season we had without the transfers we got. We may end up with better players coming in than the ones that left.

Yep- but many players look at this as a business- not school related.

This ^^^^ troubles me very much. It looks and sounds like chaos has gripped college football. If it continues and the 'academics' decide they have had enough, the next sound you might hear in college football is its death rattle.

It show there's a ceiling for success here. The offensive production we've lost won't be replaced before next season. We're a mid teir SEC program. Llyod going to Georgia shows they can miss the first time it doesn't matter. Eight wins is good as it gets, ever for us with the NIL and Tranfer Portal. Bowl Game will be trash every year, any good players we got will get poached like this year.

We will be mid tier as long as we hire lower tier coaches.

I’m sure they do value Liberty and freedom, but that wasn’t the question. It has been reported here that 60% of those that enter the portal end up losing out and not being on a team the next year. So, are they getting bad advice?, or if they are using the freedom and liberty that is theirs and making their decisions on their own, either way, it ain’t working for most of them.

Freedom and liberty are great if you get good advice and are smart about it. If not, it could be like a pen-raised quail. Give it freedom and it won’t survive but a day or two.

I’m sure they do value Liberty and freedom, but that wasn’t the question. It has been reported here that 60% of those that enter the portal end up losing out and not being on a team the next year. So, are they getting bad advice?, or if they are using the freedom and liberty that is theirs and making their decisions on their own, either way, it ain’t working for most of them.

Freedom and liberty are great if you get good advice and are smart about it. If not, it could be like a pen-raised quail. Give it freedom and it won’t survive but a day or two.

The reality is no one cares about those 60%. The problem is really the 10% that really matter.

I’m not liking it since we lost several good ones. But I am hoping that we can use the system to our advantage. If I had a vote I would have voted for things to stay the same. I really hope the people who were for nil are donating to the NIL funds to buy players. I doubt they are. Welcome to the circus.
I am one who started donating right away. I did so because most of our rivals were secretly paying players to enroll and stay at their schools. The NIL pathway allows us to compete in an immediate way that is important to the players. We beat Clemson because we secured Rattler. He is the most confident Gamecock QB ever. We will use the system to our advantage, and schools who relied on tradition and secret funds will find themselves all caught up by the new found sophistication of our beloved USC.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT