ADVERTISEMENT

Keep EllIiot!

Sucks we lost but we are playing much better. If he clears house on defensive staff and brings in some good recruiters I would be ok with giving him a shot

Reactions: elcid83 and bmull08
I said before the vandy game, he would have to beat clemsux, get us to a bowl, and win it. So, that would be 5-2 with the bowl win. He can still get there, but I just don't know. He does seem like a good guy who loves THE UNIVERSITY OF SOUT CAROLINA. I wish him the best, with whatever happens.

The question here is- do we want a HC who can recruit the kind of mediocre/ ACC level talent we have always had here and eek out 5, 6, and maaaaybee even 7 wins every season with a couple powerful moral victories(AKA CLOSE LOSES) sprinkled in? Because that is what we get with Elliott. Personally I'd rather go all in on finding a guy who can bring some excitement, and some TALENT to our program and who can give us a chance to compete with SEC teams. That is why we ARE going to hire someone else... Because our athletic department feels the same way.

Reactions: GCock47
We are playing better, but if you have been a Carolina fan for a long time you know if Eliot gets the job we will be in another coaching search in 4 years.

Reactions: GCock47
Sucks we lost but we are playing much better. If he clears house on defensive staff and brings in some good recruiters I would be ok with giving him a shot
Disagree. We look exactly like th USC of the 1970s. Close, but no cigar. There were countless games just like yesterday. In the end, we lost. That's all that matters. I want a winner. In fact, a strong argument can be made that his OL lost the game. They were pathetic in the first half, and they were guilty of penalties in the 4th quarter.

I'm confident Elliott is a great guy and bleeds garnet and black, but no thanks. This is the SEC. Somehow Dabo overcame West Virginia. But, I don't want to take that type of a chance.

You guys realize that Elliott was a key part of our three 11 win seasons right? He had the team in positions to win at TAMU and TENN. Those are tough SEC road venues of over 100k people. I think he is doing great.

If Adams does not fumble the ball then we likely win that game. How the hell can you guys not see that. This is a game mind you where we were 17 point underdogs. He has the team believing and playing light years better than they have all year. They look like a TEAM. The negativity of people here blows my mind.

You can say what you want about Dabo but he is all in and look at the results. Elliott is all in for South Carolina. If we get any of the other guys this is just a pit stop for them if they do well. Or a pit stop for them if they fail. Elliott could be here for 20 years. People want to focus on 2 star this or that. They are not looking at the play on the field. It is MUCH better. I see good coaching going on right now.

I think Elliott would make a good HC, but somewhere else to learn how to be the HC.

I think someone like Memphis type of school will hire him after this year...

You guys realize that Elliott was a key part of our three 11 win seasons right? He had the team in positions to win at TAMU and TENN. Those are tough SEC road venues of over 100k people. I think he is doing great.

If Adams does not fumble the ball then we likely win that game. How the hell can you guys not see that. This is a game mind you where we were 17 point underdogs. He has the team believing and playing light years better than they have all year. They look like a TEAM. The negativity of people here blows my mind.

You can say what you want about Dabo but he is all in and look at the results. Elliott is all in for South Carolina. If we get any of the other guys this is just a pit stop for them if they do well. Or a pit stop for them if they fail. Elliott could be here for 20 years. People want to focus on 2 star this or that. They are not looking at the play on the field. It is MUCH better. I see good coaching going on right now.
We lost. That's unacceptable. #NewCarolina

And when Elliot wins somewhere else which he will, then why would he want to come back to this dump where fans don't even support the players and coaches when there given there all and still in the fight. What got us the 11 win seasons is not walking out when the going gets tough it was getting some consistency in the coaching staff and supporting the team no matter what. I don't recognize this new breed of complaining fans.

And when Elliot wins somewhere else which he will, then why would he want to come back to this dump where fans don't even support the players and coaches when there given there all and still in the fight. What got us the 11 win seasons is not walking out when the going gets tough it was getting some consistency in the coaching staff and supporting the team no matter what. I don't recognize this new breed of complaining fans.
Because should that come to pass he'd be offered $5MM/year. SE would come back for that as anyone would. The fact is the amount of money involved these days supersedes all other issues.

1) You see more of these #NewCarolina fans due to the advent of the internet. We're still the same fan base overall with fans on both sides of every issue. You see more complaining and negativity here than you will in a diner, at church or at a Gamecock Club meeting...as I imagine it is with most fan bases.
2) The coaches that helped us the most in the 11 wins seasons have long since left and the current group is the reason we've sank to the level we are now. If you were around and watching then you know our OL was average and that Shaw's (and even Thompson's) legs bailed us out in many games. Our offense sputtered as it always did under Spurrier, multiple false starts, trouble getting plays in and getting the ball snapped, etc. Those problems with the offense didn't just start occurring the past 2 seasons. With the exception of Sands all of the coaches still running the offense were a part of that sputtering unit that managed to do enough to win, and mainly because their defense was solid and kept them in games. If you don't see that I don't know what else to tell you.
3) We all have differing opinions, and no ones is totally right or totally wrong. But we are all still fans.
4) Just mho, but I hope your reference "this dump" is to this board and not our university. That would be very un-fan like...don't you think?

not referring to the university by no means, but to the negative fans. I get tired of the negativity when the team is mostly trying to be positive. I also don't want us to make the wrong decisions because were angry.

An you trust Herman or the Memphis coach to compete in the sec like we already are? I predict if we change coaches we will be in very long cycle of losing, but if we stay on a consistent path we will be more successful. I trust Elliott with our team more than a outsider.
I get more & more confused with each passing game. We competed well in the last two games & that was quite impressive. I'm not sure if keeping Elliott will be the best idea because we still don't have a great OL & his last two recruits aren't great lineman. He may very well be a better HC than position coach & that's weird.

From what I'm seeing we lost. Elliott is 1-2. He's going to be 2-4 at best. I want a winner. We're watching Old Carolina right now.
To be fair I would say that Elliott is proving that he can do more with less right now. Let's face it, yes we lost the past two games (which nobody expected us to win) BUT we also were very competitive in a way that nobody thought as well. Elliott could be a solid HC but I believe a new guy is needed in order for us to clean house on the defensive side. I would take Elliott more seriously if he made Hoke change up his defense & be more aggressive.

To be fair I would say that Elliott is proving that he can do more with less right now. Let's face it, yes we lost the past two games (which nobody expected us to win) BUT we also were very competitive in a way that nobody thought as well. Elliott could be a solid HC but I believe a new guy is needed in order for us to clean house on the defensive side. I would take Elliott more seriously if he made Hoke change up his defense & be more aggressive.
Looked to me like Hoke did change his defense, corners weren't 15 yards off the ball, and based on what we did against LSU and Texas A&M I gave us virtually no chance of stopping Hurd or Dobbs. The defense played well the last three quarters and I think they will continue to improve.

I was a fan during many coaches at South Carolina and trust me...this is the same breed of fans that trashed..Morrison, Bell, Scott, Woods, Holtz's and all the other coaches. I think Elliott knows he's a longshot and if he's successful somewhere else he would jump at the chance to come back if it was a better job than the one he had. Tanner gave him a shot....that was a big favor to him. He could have just as easily picked Mangus.....if anything he owes Tanner for letting him show others what he can do.....not the other way around.

Keep Elliott? Are there any other average offensive line coaches we can interview? Is it simply because he is already on staff and Ray can pay half as much as for a legitimate deserving candidate? Maybe we can hire Robbie Caldwell as head coach. If Elliott is the coach I will not be in my seats next year. Go ahead and post the "Tombstone" meme..well bye". This staff is a sh#$ storm and destroyed what was built. If you support Elliott then you condone absolute laziness and complacency that has existed for 3 years now.

People wanting to keep Elliot are content with mediocrity and putting out great efforts but ultimately losing.

We go for the best guy, and if it fails (which I doubt), we can say we put forth our entire effort, instead of hiring a mediocre coach who happens to be a USC fan

Reactions: Atlanta Cock
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT