ADVERTISEMENT

Louisiana State -7.5 over South Carolina

FCB 2013 treble

Dec 14, 2016
I am guessing the home crowd should not be a factor. Hoping South Carolina stays with the aggression like they did in second half against Vanderbilt

We won... wth
A miracle
Considering that Carter did not make the trip and Captain Caveman fouled out of the game, and Eli Sparkman actually getting playing time, so yes it was a minor miracle. Also very surprising that South Carolina was 17 out of 18 from the free throw line.

Two things I have concerns about is first South Carolina is giving opponents third and fourth chances to score.

Second, Davis will eventually become an important player at South Carolina so he needs to quit hitting opponents players in the face. That is is the second time this season.

Two things I have concerns about is first South Carolina is giving opponents third and fourth chances to score.

Second, Davis will eventually become an important player at South Carolina so he needs to quit hitting opponents players in the face. That is is the second time this season.

Well thank God there are only 4 more games to suffer.
Can't rebound if you turn and run with every shot on both ends of the floor.

When Meechie takes good shots and has an efficient game, the teams shows that it can be competitive. However, there are too many moments that our shot selection is poor. Also, a couple of our post players must go to the same psychologist as Ben Simmons. They are frightened to even look at the basket. Maybe, they should encouraged to look at playing on a lower level.

Reactions: Cybercock
Didn’t you want us to pick McMahon over Paris. Looks like he is going to be DFL in the SEC with much better talent.

Didn’t you want us to pick McMahon over Paris. Looks like he is going to be DFL in the SEC with much better talent.
I like accountability. I searched McMahon based on what I posted and here’s what we had from March 2022:

ESPN potential replacement list:
Dennis Gates
Matt McMahon
Lamont Paris
BJ Mckie
Mike Boynton

If that’s the list (which I’m aware it’s not necessarily the list) we might as well go with McKie. There is no home run hire in that list. None.

Gamecockstock was the one that defined McMahon “far and away the best.” I replied that he was “the most accomplished but I’m not sure how that would translate here.” In fact you were probably more complimentary of McMahon than me in this thread stating that “at least he would check the B gym and not miss the next Ja Morant”

It's just amazing the difference in attitude this fanbase gives Paris versus Beamer.
No one else probably will admit it but I’m man enough to admit I was wrong about Beamer. Given the fact of the dumpster fire that Muschamp left us in I wasn’t sure a TE coach from Oklahoma was the right move. It was risky. What I did not and could not account for was Shane Beamers ability to recruit through the transfer portal and NIL era. Beamer has always had recruiting ability but NIL didn’t exist prior and the transfer portal was pretty new.

Having said that, there were promising steps in year one under Beamer. We’re playing better recently in men’s basketball but the only team we are guaranteed to finish ahead of is LSU….and they have a serious NCAA cloud hanging over their program thanks to Will Wade.

Last edited:

You always have to be careful of coaches from schools like Murray State. Going all the way back to Steve Newton - every coach has won big there. 8 of their last 8 coaches went to the tournament (and 6 of their last 8 went to multiple tournaments). The school is a juggernaut, nicely situated in a winnable conference.

However, only 2 of the last 8 coaches had any sustained success once they left Murray State (Mick Cronin and Mark Gottfried). All the coaches get credit for keeping the juggernaut moving while there, but the program itself doesn’t give a realistic view of what kind of coaches they really are.

No one else probably will admit it but I’m man enough to admit I was wrong about Beamer. Given the fact of the dumpster fire that Muschamp left us in I wasn’t sure a TE coach from Oklahoma was the right move. It was risky. What I did not and could not account for was Shane Beamers ability to recruit through the transfer portal and NIL era. Beamer has always had recruiting ability but NIL didn’t exist prior and the transfer portal was pretty new.

Having said that, there were promising steps in year one under Beamer. We’re playing better recently in men’s basketball but the only team we are guaranteed to finish ahead of is LSU….and they have a serious NCAA cloud hanging over their program thanks to Will Wade.

This really just highlights the difference I was talking about. It's probably time to talk about how Muschamp left us in a much better situation than Martin left Paris.

The NCAA should add a 3.5 line or a 4 point line in addition to the three point line for Meechie. The 3.5 line or 4 point line should be 25 feet away from basket.

Vanderbilt should sue Louisiana State as a result of Louisiana State wearing stars on their uniform. The star is Vanderbilt's logo.

Last edited:
South Carolina's media showing no interest in the basketball program. I have not yet seen an online post game press conference with Coach Paris regarding the Louisiana State game. Also the post game press conference a week ago at Mississippi only one question was asked. I can remember after the Eastern Michigan game there was only one reporter present and he luckly asked several questions.

When Meechie takes good shots and has an efficient game, the teams shows that it can be competitive. However, there are too many moments that our shot selection is poor. Also, a couple of our post players must go to the same psychologist as Ben Simmons. They are frightened to even look at the basket. Maybe, they should encouraged to look at playing on a lower level.
Meechie deserves to be here as a starter at South Carolina. One day he may end up holding a record at South Carolina and the SEC. who knows, maybe he will have his jersey hanging up at the Colonial Life Arena.

Last edited:
This really just highlights the difference I was talking about. It's probably time to talk about how Muschamp left us in a much better situation than Martin left Paris.
I would agree the football program had a better roster than the basketball team, but on offense South Carolina was in bad shape. Also on defense when Coach Muschamp was release a few of the defensive back quit in the middle of season and Ernest Jones did declare for NFL draft. It was better, but not much better.

Coach Paris is not even playing with the full allotted 13 scholarship players. I think he has only 12 scholarship players. One of the 12 scholarship players has not even played due to an injury last summer (Dibba).

What makes both programs similar
Zeb Noland = Hayden Brown. These two guys may not be the best in the SEC, but they shown they have guts and courage to sacrifice their body for the team.

Last edited:
Well it’s comparing dumpsters and trash cans and which one is nicer.

I might would argue Ray Tanner and some of those that chose to fire Frank didn’t have an accurate pulse on the players inside the program. They may be more responsible for the state of the program than Frank Martin. Certainly Martin could have encouraged guys to leave, but they only would have listened if they valued and trusted Frank….which they obviously did. Firing Frank Martin in an 18 win season was a bad move and many here are going to disagree. But reality is we’re about the 300th best team and we won’t sniff anything close to .500. I doubt next year will be any better.

Beamer did a great job in year one navigating through some disasters. The wheels could have fallen off in the Troy/Vandy/ECU games. I still remember the way we closed that year before under Mike Bozo in the Georgia and Kentucky games. We were brutally bad. Embarrassing.

They were both crap shows. Not sure they need to be debated as to which was worse. Beamer did the heavy lifting, but it’s also proof it shouldn’t take Lamont Paris 4 years either if Shane Beamer can turn it around in a little over a year.

Well it’s comparing dumpsters and trash cans and which one is nicer.

I might would argue Ray Tanner and some of those that chose to fire Frank didn’t have an accurate pulse on the players inside the program. They may be more responsible for the state of the program than Frank Martin. Certainly Martin could have encouraged guys to leave, but they only would have listened if they valued and trusted Frank….which they obviously did. Firing Frank Martin in an 18 win season was a bad move and many here are going to disagree. But reality is we’re about the 300th best team and we won’t sniff anything close to .500. I doubt next year will be any better.

Beamer did a great job in year one navigating through some disasters. The wheels could have fallen off in the Troy/Vandy/ECU games. I still remember the way we closed that year before under Mike Bozo in the Georgia and Kentucky games. We were brutally bad. Embarrassing.

They were both crap shows. Not sure they need to be debated as to which was worse. Beamer did the heavy lifting, but it’s also proof it shouldn’t take Lamont Paris 4 years either if Shane Beamer can turn it around in a little over a year.
18 wins with no post-season is not good IMO. You don’t save your job with that when you have missed the dance 5 years In a row. The problem was that politics forced us to hold onto Martin at least for a year too long. Finally, I believe that part of what turned the fanbase on Martin is his failure to capitalize on the Final Four Run. As a result, you had a segment of the fanbase that wanted 18-22 year old kids to change to fit the temperament of our coach. The other side of the fanbase, which includes me, came to the cold realization that kids changing to fit the mold of older people was never going to happen. When you are losing recruiting battles for in-state kids to Vanderbilt, you have an issue. I know it’s Apples and Oranges, but Martin is only 14-13 in his first Season at UMass. I just didn’t see it as worth it to hang onto a guy that was here for a decade for a couple more wins. I’ve turned the page and look forward to seeing what Coach Paris going to do with the program over the next 2-3 years.

18 wins with no post-season is not good IMO. You don’t save your job with that when you have missed the dance 5 years In a row. The problem was that politics forced us to hold onto Martin at least for a year too long. Finally, I believe that part of what turned the fanbase on Martin is his failure to capitalize on the Final Four Run. As a result, you had a segment of the fanbase that wanted 18-22 year old kids to change to fit the temperament of our coach. The other side of the fanbase, which includes me, came to the cold realization that kids changing to fit the mold of older people was never going to happen. When you are losing recruiting battles for in-state kids to Vanderbilt, you have an issue. I know it’s Apples and Oranges, but Martin is only 14-13 in his first Season at UMass. I just didn’t see it as worth it to hang onto a guy that was here for a decade for a couple more wins. I’ve turned the page and look forward to seeing what Coach Paris going to do with the program over the next 2-3 years.
Well you know that the Final Four run happened in April of 2017, so that recruiting class was done before we even flew out to Phoenix. I’m convinced if Dozier stayed and Felder stayed out of trouble, things would have been drastically different. It was not meant to be.

No doubt Frank failed to get much in 2018 or 2019. 2020 was the pandemic year and we got hit as hard as anyone. The Houston game in 2020 was just a bad idea after their team got hit hard. We barely fielded a team for some games (Clemson) and Martin himself had two bouts. I do think it’s fair to criticize Martin and the mens basketball program for its Covid protocols. We had much less issues in other sports and the team didn’t seem to do anything to limit its exposure which resulted in a large portion of the season being cancelled.

Now we could have pulled the trigger in 2019 less than two years removed from a Final 4 and paid a huge buyout. But in 2020 firing a coach that went through Covid twice and the team didn’t practice for a month I believe would have resulted in a public relations nightmare for our program and university. 2021 was much improved but we hit the nuke button instead of trying to build on it. I thought we were close and as much as people want to whine about Martins teams getting close but not making it, we’re no where near that now. No need to sit around on selection Sunday this year…not even for the NIT.

Paris May turn things around, but it also might be brutally bad. A lot of this team (I estimate 6 of 12) won’t return. That may not be a bad thing but if we can’t replace it with better players it’ll be a repeat next season. Might even be worse.

Paris does have a better on court demeanor. That may help in recruiting. Now I don’t have a lot of sympathy for the rich donor that’s pissed his kid heard a curse word at the basketball game (common Martin criticism). I hear them from the players, officials, coaches and in the concourse just about every game high school, college or pro. That’s just par for the course sitting court side in 2023 and has been for years.

You always have to be careful of coaches from schools like Murray State. Going all the way back to Steve Newton - every coach has won big there. 8 of their last 8 coaches went to the tournament (and 6 of their last 8 went to multiple tournaments). The school is a juggernaut, nicely situated in a winnable conference.

However, only 2 of the last 8 coaches had any sustained success once they left Murray State (Mick Cronin and Mark Gottfried). All the coaches get credit for keeping the juggernaut moving while there, but the program itself doesn’t give a realistic view of what kind of coaches they really are.
Murray State was in a weak Ohio Valley Conference for years. Ruled it, too. Now they have moved to a much tougher Missouri Valley Conference and the results this year show it. MVC hands down tougher than OVC. Belmont left, too.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT