ADVERTISEMENT

My take from a long ago poster on here to current lurker

Lifelong Gamecock

Gold Member
Oct 28, 2003
As a 45 year old who's followed Gamecock sports for 40 years who has had pretty good access to the athletic dept my whole life, I can honestly say this is the second time we've gotten a head coach at any sport where this was their destination job. The other was George Felton and that was turning out to be damn good until his demons reared their ugly head. (Side note, I'm so happy George is doing so much better now)

I'm excited about Beamer! I'm ready for Parker White to tee the damn ball up now. The former players are jacked up about the hire which I think some people are underestimating the effects of that. You see our former Gamecock greats coming back into the fold creates an excitement around the program that can't be created artificially. It doesn't matter who the recruiting coordinator is when this happens. It'll make it the "cool place to be". You'll see the current NFL stars wearing their Gamecock gear in interviews and seeing the tweets about it. Kids eat that stuff up.

I sincerely hope we as a fan base give Beamer time. I used to complain on here (well mainly the old board when I was super active) about the only traditions we have are 2001, Cockabooses, and firing coaches. Beamer will have some mistakes. It's inevitable like Thanos' finger snap. I believe that's why Beamer was encouraged to keep Bobo around. He's a more experienced guy with head coaching experience that is on staff that Beamer can lean on. When Bobo told Beamer he was looking at Auburn and Beamer told him to pack his bags, I believe it was a good move. Beamer somewhat set the mental aspect around the program of "with us or against us the choice is yours". I think that's important right now where the program is in the total rebuild.

When Muschamp was hired, at minimum I figured he was "modernize" our recruiting which was stuck somewhere in the late 90s early 00s since Beamer left Spurrier's staff. For one reason or another, that really didn't happen. As proved in the playoffs, it's more Jimmy and Joes than Xs and Os in college football. Not to disregard coaching because you have to coach em up, but to have that talent to begin with helps.

Beamer obviously has a lot of experience he can lean on between his dad, Spurrier (yes despite what others think), E. Johnson, and Riley to name a few but he's got to do it his own way. Beamer is well liked and well respected in the coaching community even at his young age. Heck, we may end up having the youngest collective staff in Power 5 football. That means tons of energy, but that energy does lead to mistake. Speaking of energy, expect the staff to be made fun of the way we made fun of Stockstill when he was at the school in the upstate, writing daily letters, sitting in the HS parking lot to just make eye contact with a recruit during dead periods, etc.

Y'all, I fully believe we're about to be on a fun ride for Gamecock football. Just give it a little time. The next 2 years will be a struggle in the W/L columns. Our previous staff left the cupboard pretty barren minus a few skill positions. Let's just soak up the energy from the staff and keep that positive outlook for the program. We saw it with the last staff...the fans turn, the players start to quit going as hard. A new staff recruiting in the era of Covid, not being able to bring recruits in and showing one of our biggest selling points, the atmosphere in W-B stadium on Gameday, will be difficult but not impossible.

Let's Go Cocks!! And sorry for the rambling and length of the post

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News