ADVERTISEMENT

Offensive staff changes

PELION

Nov 25, 2001
Don’t be surprised at some staff turnover offensively and I am not talking about Satterfield . Look for Napier to offer one of our better assistants to join him at Florida

Reactions: Crazy Cock 89
Gray or Stepp?
He said offense. So, it has to be Stepp....right? I was in Gainesville the last few days around Gator fans. I'm telling you, those people mean business. They are not putting up with mediocrity. They demand the very best down there. I was kind of envious to be around them. I told them I had hoped for either Napier or Caldwell but, was still hopeful on Beamer. They indicated they put lots of money into booster club, buying tickets, etc and were not going to put up with the crap they had in recent years. Like I said, i was kind of envious of their determination. I wish we had that attitude.

By the way, one of them told me that Spurrier has started a restaurant down there.

Reactions: Crazy Cock 89
He said offense. So, it has to be Stepp....right? I was in Gainesville the last few days around Gator fans. I'm telling you, those people mean business. They are not putting up with mediocrity. They demand the very best down there. I was kind of envious to be around them. I told them I had hoped for either Napier or Caldwell but, was still hopeful on Beamer. They indicated they put lots of money into booster club, buying tickets, etc and were not going to put up with the crap they had in recent years. Like I said, i was kind of envious of their determination. I wish we had that attitude.

By the way, one of them told me that Spurrier had started a restaurant down there.
Napier will be a good coach for them. Really hate that we missed on him.....we had our chance. Still hoping for Beamer also.

Missed the "offense" part of the post....just knew that Gray was from Florida and had previously coached at UF. Figured Stepp because he was closely behind Napier at Furman.

Napier will be a good coach for them. Really hate that we missed on him.....we had our chance. Still hoping for Beamer also.

Missed the "offense" part of the post....just knew that Gray was from Florida and had previously coached at UF. Figured Stepp because he was closely behind Napier at Furman.
Honestly, I would boot Satterfield and promote Stepp to OC and take a chance on him, before keeping Satterfield as OC and losing Stepp.

Honestly, as long as Gamecock fans buy tickets and stick with the Gamecock Club no matter what, the powers that be will never be serious about football and men's basketball at USC. As long as long suffering fans are willing to buy and not rock the boat, all is well. When Steve Spurrier at his first press conference here said/asked "Why not us?", the answer was obvious: "It's because we are who we are".

By the way, one of them told me that Spurrier has started a restaurant down there.
I have a good friend who is a Gator fan and I agree they are "determined" to return to elite status. They are as determined today as they were when they got rid of Muschamp and then got rid of McElwain. I'm not criticizing any of their firings, but if fan determination translated to becoming an elite team, there's be tons of elite teams.

It comes down to whether you are willing to make the tough decisions as university too. How many schools would make a baseball coach AD, uth minimal experience in athletic administration, just because he won 2 championships in baseball? Very shortsighted and the easy way out.
UF's AD was only able to raise half of Mullen's buyout. The university is still responsible for $6M of it over the next several years.

Our AD had to raise the full buyout of Muschamp's contract after Caslen vetoed paying for it. Otherwise Muschamp would still be here.

So evidently Napier got Stepp his first coaching job as a GA at Clemson when BN was the OC. I hope he doesn't go but I'm starting to think Napier is gonna pluck Stepp off our staff

Reactions: mannblack
I Talked to a Gator fan I’ve known for a few years that lives in Orlando that told me at our Auburn tailgate that Napier was a “done deal”, and most UF fans weren’t too keen on the hire.

Didn't we have a booster put up the farm to can Muschamp?

Why the "mystery and intrigue"? There is only one offensive coach that we have on staff that another power 5 program would have interest in. There aren't many schools who wouldn't want Stepp on their staff.
Are you saying Hardesty had higher on most lists than Stepp? No one wants Adkins, I don't think people are coming after Satt and this is Kimrey's first college gig.

Reactions: rogue cock
Don’t be surprised at some staff turnover offensively and I am not talking about Satterfield . Look for Napier to offer one of our better assistants to join him at Florida
yeah he may likely offer Steppe.....one of the two assistants that are sought after (along with Lembo)

Honestly, as long as Gamecock fans buy tickets and stick with the Gamecock Club no matter what, the powers that be will never be serious about football and men's basketball at USC. As long as long suffering fans are willing to buy and not rock the boat, all is well. When Steve Spurrier at his first press conference here said/asked "Why not us?", the answer was obvious: "It's because we are who we are".
Keep repeating this line over and over again. Buying tickets and the Club have nothing to do with it because the people that have power will still have power and still have their club packages and their access and everything else with it. If you don't want to go than don't but don't talk other people into losing their points and place over your fools errand. If you want change then talk to your State representatives and make BOT structure a point of how your going to vote. Otherwise, you just engaging in stupidity or virtue signaling.

Why do you think Caldwell would have set the world on fire with the Qb situation we had?

Also, any intel (source?) or just wild speculation. Can't see it because there is no way Stepp or Kimrey are going and don't see anyone else as "better assistant."

I said it before and I say it again. I did not see any position on our team that played well enough and was coached well enough that we should get into a bidding war to keep that coach.
With all the coaching turnover this year let ANY of them walk and hire a replacement. Just my opinion.
From TraineeShane to the water boy.

I said it before and I say it again. I did not see any position on our team that played well enough and was coached well enough that we should get into a bidding war to keep that coach.
With all the coaching turnover this year let ANY of them walk and hire a replacement. Just my opinion.
I actually thought Gray did a great job, especially after we had a couple of projected starters hit the portal. It was probably the most surprising unit on the field this year.

Also, any intel (source?) or just wild speculation. Can't see it because there is no way Stepp or Kimrey are going and don't see anyone else as "better assistant."
I would not worry about Kimrey going anywhere if I were you . This is his 1st college job and he was on no ones list when Beamer hired him and still isn’t .

Reactions: uscwatson21
That's fair. Gray got fired at UF so no chance he goes back there this year IMO.
Gray and Stepp were good. Not outbid Floriduh good if they really want them.

I actually thought Gray did a great job, especially after we had a couple of projected starters hit the portal. It was probably the most surprising unit on the field this year.
Stepp is an outstanding coach and a strong recruiter as you can see with the players he brought in at ARK and with Landon Sampson. If we get Antonio Williams, it will be Stepp’s doing with the relationship he’s building and of course a new OC. Kimrey will get Lonegran here next year-hopefully, and his association with other HS coaches and previous Gamecock players coaching HS ball, will bring greater dividends as well, I hope!

How is Stepp considered a great coach? I thought we were inept at WR myself and Arkansas didn't miss a beat. Honestly, I'm not sure who on this staff performed above average...maybe White...maybe.

So evidently Napier got Stepp his first coaching job as a GA at Clemson when BN was the OC. I hope he doesn't go but I'm starting to think Napier is gonna pluck Stepp off our staff
Stepp is one of our better coaching assets in terms of player relations. He's the kind of guy you want your son associated with.

Keep repeating this line over and over again. Buying tickets and the Club have nothing to do with it because the people that have power will still have power and still have their club packages and their access and everything else with it. If you don't want to go than don't but don't talk other people into losing their points and place over your fools errand. If you want change then talk to your State representatives and make BOT structure a point of how your going to vote. Otherwise, you just engaging in stupidity or virtue signaling.
People can and will do what they want regardless of what others say or do.. Anyone who believes that message boards impact others' actions, are naive and unwise.

How is Stepp considered a great coach? I thought we were inept at WR myself and Arkansas didn't miss a beat. Honestly, I'm not sure who on this staff performed above average...maybe White...maybe.
The fact you didn't consider Gray, makes it obvious that your bias stands in your way if actually evaluating it honestly.

Reactions: TAV31
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT