ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Coastal/Jamey Chadwell now 9-1…..

Bucs90

Sep 22, 2019
Meanwhile in Conway, Chadwell and Coastal Carolina are 9-1. “Whatever it’s the Sun Belt…”. He’s doing one of two things:

1. Winning 9-10 games w Sun Belt players vs other Sun Belt players, so outstanding coaching

or

2. He has recruited far above what Coastal should get & developed them into a 10+ win program just as he did at North Greenville and Charleston Southern.

Either way…..glad we didn’t hire him hahaha

Scott Frost went 13-0 in a harder conference and moved up - now where is he?

Lamenting about Chadwell, or Gregg Marshall, is an exercise in futility. Both were great where they were - but no one knows if they would be great at USC. History says that they wouldn't be.

Also, he spells his name "Jamey." No one needs that.

Reactions: king ward

Lamenting about Chadwell, or Gregg Marshall, is an exercise in futility. Both were great where they were - but no one knows if they would be great at USC. History says that they wouldn't be.

So you think we had a better idea that Beamer would be great with no resume or track record at all as compared to Chadwell? Your logic is senseless.

So you think we had a better idea that Beamer would be great with no resume or track record at all as compared to Chadwell? Your logic is senseless.

It's all a crapshoot. No one has any idea how any new coaching hire will do at any school (outside of a slam dunk like Urban Meyer, of course). Beamer had the high-level experience at high-level programs. He was never a coordinator, but calling plays has nothing to do with running a program. So they went with that. But again, it's all a crapshoot.

And it's not like Chadwell is the perfect candidate - he's just in USC's backyard, so fans are fixated on him. If he was at Arkansas State doing this, he wouldn't be discussed by anyone in SC.

It's all a crapshoot. No one has any idea how any new coaching hire will do at any school (outside of a slam dunk like Urban Meyer, of course).
I don't disagree with that. And even Urban Meyer failed in the NFL. That being said, going back to the Paul Dietzel hire, the only times USC had any kind of success was when they hired coaches who had prior successful Head Coaching experience at the FBS level. All the others (Richard Bell, Sparky Woods, Brad Scott and Will Muschamp) were unmitigated failures at South Carolina. Hopefully, Beamer will break that string. Thus far, it's not encouraging.

It's all a crapshoot. No one has any idea how any new coaching hire will do at any school (outside of a slam dunk like Urban Meyer, of course). Beamer had the high-level experience at high-level programs. He was never a coordinator, but calling plays has nothing to do with running a program. So they went with that. But again, it's all a crapshoot.

And it's not like Chadwell is the perfect candidate - he's just in USC's backyard, so fans are fixated on him. If he was at Arkansas State doing this, he wouldn't be discussed by anyone in SC.

Nah, being in our backyard isnt why. Its that Chadwell took 3 average programs, at D2, FCS, and FBS, and turned them into 10+ win programs, multi time conference champions, all within 3 years at each stop. His 20 years coaching in this state also meant recruiting here and building in state connections with HS coaches.

It was basically the movie script perfect candidate. And Ray said nah, you’ve never been at a P5 program, so we are going w someone that’s never been a coordinator or HC or built a program.

Brilliant

I agree it's a crapshoot, but you do what you can to reduce risk. Like rely on past experience.

I disagree that Shane had "high level" experience. The programs might have been high level, but his jobs there weren't.

I agree it's a crapshoot, but you do what you can to reduce risk. Like rely on past experience.

I disagree that Shane had "high level" experience. The programs might have been high level, but his jobs there weren't.

Some USC fans see “SEC experience” as the all powerful box to check that surpasses all others. A SEC grad assistant with no other experience would be more desirable than someone who has won championships at various levels in various conferences as a HC and coordinator. Its crazy. The SEC is the best conference obviously. But its not like NFL vs high school. Football is football

But the fact he was in our backyard and so accessible is what makes it even worse our administration was inept they went and hired Shane Beamer.

The next big thing at Arkansas State is not guarantee to come to the east coast to coach.

Look, I'm not sold on Beamer, and I actually don't like defending Ray's decision making on any level, but It's not like Shane was a football ops guy. Being a recruiting coordinator (in addition to his position coaching duties) is a huge thing and incredibly important job. Especially when expertise related to high-level recruiting is essential for a power 5 head coach. And Lincoln Riley doesn't pull the guy from UGA and give him the assistant head coach title unless he thinks the dude is going to help the team. Riley could have hired anyone - he chose Shane. And the AHC isn't just a title, it comes with tons of responsibilities. Head coach responsibilities that he's trusted with so it frees up the head coach. I would say he was as qualified to be a head coach as any assistant coach out there at the time (including sitting coordinators - because coordinator experience is immaterial unless you're calling the plays for your new team).

Again, who knows who will win at USC - Beamer may still be that guy (if he fires Satterfield). But it's not like Chadwell is some unicorn candidate. His success is nice - but has he ever recruited and signed a 4-star player at any point in his career? It's a different world in the Power 5. And wins are great - but does anyone know what kind of guy he is in the media, with boosters, athletic department staff, etc? That's probably 40% of the job for a head coach (and why a guy like Harsin was destined to fail).

I'm hearing that Chadwell is the front-runner for Georgia Tech, so maybe we'll get to see what he's capable of soon - though I've been campaigning for years to stop considering the ACC as a power conference.

And Lincoln Riley doesn't pull the guy from UGA and give him the assistant head coach title unless he thinks the dude is going to help the team. Riley could have hired anyone - he chose Shane. And the AHC isn't just a title, it comes with tons of responsibilities. Head coach responsibilities that he's trusted with so it frees up the head coach.

This post just sums up you're making assumptions based on a title.

Beamer was actually Assistant Head Coach for Offense. Oklahoma had like 4 different guys with some version of AHC as their title. Cale Gundy was their recruiting coordinator.

Beamer was just a glorified TE coach at Oklahoma.

This post just sums up you're making assumptions based on a title.

Beamer was actually Assistant Head Coach for Offense. Oklahoma had like 4 different guys with some version of AHC as their title. Cale Gundy was their recruiting coordinator.

Beamer was just a glorified TE coach at Oklahoma.
Daddy got him the job.

Reactions: Jaycee024
Daddy got him the job.
Thought the same. His last name carried lots of weight. Unfortunately, I can't think of one instance where the son of a coaching legend was a "home run" hire. I'm sure there's one. Just none come immediately to mind, which in turn says volumes.

The fact that one of the names connected to the South Carolina job 2 years ago, kicked Beamer's ass yesterday certainly is bad optics, to put it mildly.

Meanwhile in Conway, Chadwell and Coastal Carolina are 9-1. “Whatever it’s the Sun Belt…”. He’s doing one of two things:

1. Winning 9-10 games w Sun Belt players vs other Sun Belt players, so outstanding coaching

or

2. He has recruited far above what Coastal should get & developed them into a 10+ win program just as he did at North Greenville and Charleston Southern.

Either way…..glad we didn’t hire him hahaha

He probably deserves a Power Five shot, but that doesn't mean he'll succeed once there. For every Urban Meyer or Nick Saban, there are 100 Sparky Woodses.

No coach can win big year in and out at USC.....not in the SEC....spurrier never won a title.

No coach can win big year in and out at USC.....not in the SEC....spurrier never won a title.

I don't think anyone expects to win big every year. The issue is, we shouldn't need to be firing our OC and DC after year two.

And Lincoln Riley doesn't pull the guy from UGA and give him the assistant head coach title unless he thinks the dude is going to help the team. Riley could have hired anyone - he chose Shane. And the AHC isn't just a title, it comes with tons of responsibilities. Head coach responsibilities that he's trusted with so it frees up the head coach. I would say he was as qualified to be a head coach as any assistant coach out there at the time (including sitting coordinators - because coordinator experience is immaterial unless you're calling the plays for your new team).

As others ha e pointed out, it WAS just a title. Only one coach on his offensive staff did not have a special title. He literally handed them out to almost everyone.

And I disagree on the recruiting coordinator being any sort of stepping stone comparable to the offensive or defensive coordinator positions. I don't believe it's on the same level.

Agree on Chadwell, its a crap shoot. But I myself would feel more comfortable with someone who has positive experience, even at a lower level, than someone without.

I just don't think this program needed to settle so quickly and so low this past time around.

Reactions: uscwatson21
He probably deserves a Power Five shot, but that doesn't mean he'll succeed once there. For every Urban Meyer or Nick Saban, there are 100 Sparky Woodses.

He should absolutely get a Power 5 shot. He's earned it. No one knows if it will be fruitful though - which is why it's pointless to lament over coaches not hired.

And I mentioned it in another thread - every job is different (even the same school, just at a different time). Chadwell could very well fail at USC tomorrow, but win an SEC championship at USC if he were hired a decade from now. There are no guarantees (and really, no ways to reduce risk on a hire). It's a literal crapshoot.

Look, I'm not sold on Beamer, and I actually don't like defending Ray's decision making on any level, but It's not like Shane was a football ops guy. Being a recruiting coordinator (in addition to his position coaching duties) is a huge thing and incredibly important job. Especially when expertise related to high-level recruiting is essential for a power 5 head coach. And Lincoln Riley doesn't pull the guy from UGA and give him the assistant head coach title unless he thinks the dude is going to help the team. Riley could have hired anyone - he chose Shane. And the AHC isn't just a title, it comes with tons of responsibilities. Head coach responsibilities that he's trusted with so it frees up the head coach. I would say he was as qualified to be a head coach as any assistant coach out there at the time (including sitting coordinators - because coordinator experience is immaterial unless you're calling the plays for your new team).

Again, who knows who will win at USC - Beamer may still be that guy (if he fires Satterfield). But it's not like Chadwell is some unicorn candidate. His success is nice - but has he ever recruited and signed a 4-star player at any point in his career? It's a different world in the Power 5. And wins are great - but does anyone know what kind of guy he is in the media, with boosters, athletic department staff, etc? That's probably 40% of the job for a head coach (and why a guy like Harsin was destined to fail).

I'm hearing that Chadwell is the front-runner for Georgia Tech, so maybe we'll get to see what he's capable of soon - though I've been campaigning for years to stop considering the ACC as a power conference.

He got SC Mr. Football to come to Charleston Southern. Hes turned 2/3 star kids into All Americans and some NFL players. Recruiting a 4 star is all good, but what about developing them into something? South Carolina has an awful track record of our 4/5 star kids often underachieving .

A track record means something, it shows someone is consistent or a fluke. Winning conference championships in D2, FCS and FBS, at places that were very average before, says a lot.

Reactions: Jaycee024
I can't believe this. Their half of the Sun Belt is very good.
Hes inaccurate. Coastal is 94th. USC 53rd. Out of 131.

If Coastal played our schedule whats their record right now? Id say probably the same, 6-4, 5-5 at worst.

Coastal would win 4 or 5 games with our schedule.
We are lucky we won 6 with our schedule. So considering we have the almighty SEC talent and they dont, either that means they have one hell of a coach, or, we dont. Or both.

But why assume Coastal cant beat ranked FBS teams? They’ve done it already.

The real question, that can't be answered, is how their coach would do with our players.

Coastal would probably beat us, but what could that coach do with better players is an even better question.

At all 3 of his stops in his career, he has moved up a level and kept winning conference championships.

Won conference rings as an FCS OC, D2 HC, FCS HC, FBS HC.

Reactions: Robhawk29
Chadwell is never mentioned as a candidate for any of the many job openings in college football these days. I wonder why that is? Pretty bad beat down yesterday. I’m happy with Beamer.

Not a very commendable outing at James Madison. To be fair, losing their quarterback a few weeks back was detrimental.

Chadwell is never mentioned as a candidate for any of the many job openings in college football these days. I wonder why that is? Pretty bad beat down yesterday. I’m happy with Beamer.

That was a stunningly bad loss, however, they star QB is still out. That hurts. And no matter how good a team is, those awful days occasionally happen. He/Coastal havent had many of them, and he was never blown out at CSU except vs FBS teams. So once in what, 9 years?

I know some guys who worked with/played for him. Apparently he intends to never leave the SC/NC/TN area, hes from East Tennessee and has always stayed close. May be one reason also.

substantial compliance issues when he was the head coach at Charleston Southern and he is really young.

Coastal is not the same without their all conference quarterback. Just like we would not be the same without Rattler.

Coastal is not the same without their all conference quarterback. Just like we would not be the same without Rattler.

We won 7 last year without rattler. Not sure loss of the QB should mean that much to a top 25 team.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT