ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Generators??

I'm partial to the Cummins and Kohler units, they are simpler, tried and true technology. The Generac has their newest model, the 24KW, which is an uprated version of their 22KW. The cummins and Kohler have stuck with 20KW ratings. MOST people I work with are getting the 24KW Generac because "bigger is better".

To be clear, I don't sell generators so I don't have a dog in the hunt, but I connect a LOT of them and work with companies that do sell them, and homeowners that use them. My first choice is Cummins because they have the deepest background (my opinion) in generators (think boats, RV, etc.).

Another thing to be mindful of is Air Cooled versus Liquid Cooled. The air cooled models are essentially large lawn mower engines running at 3600 RPM. Water cooled models all run at 1800 RPM. Remember the 60 hertz frequency? All generators have to run at an RPM divisible by 60 to get the 60 hertz output sine wave.

So air cooled units are MUCH noisier and don't last as long (due to lighter duty engine components and higher running RPM's). Water cooled units are MUCH quieter and last much longer (think small car engine), but they are generally TWICE as expensive. The air cooled units will last most of us a VERY long time if maintained well.

FYI, don't install an air cooled unit near your bedroom, put it on the opposite side of the house near your neighbor's bedroom, especially if he's a CU fan.

Plus inverter generators are much more fuel efficient. They can throttle up or down according to power consumption. Regular generators run at rated output for the most part regardless of demand. They are not good at reducing fuel consumption for lower loads.

https://www.bestgenerator.org/inverter-generators-vs-conventional-generators-whats-the-difference/

That's the way my Honda runs. Holds 1 gallon and runs for about 8 hrs at 25% load. It's really all I need considering how little I have to use it, but what I want and what I need often doesn't line up directly.

Reactions: lakemurraycock1
Sorry Bud, going on 5 years and running 💪 !!! Replace battery at 5 years on my whole house 22 kw Generac generator. Also, did an oil change once a year for 🖐 years!!!
I had a natural gas Generac for 12 years, sold my house and got a Propane Generac in the country we have had for three years all without a problem. Generac dominates the whole house market, selling more than any other two providers put together. Kohler is probably second, though it is stronger in the larger sizes and business uses. There are others, Briggs & Stratton, Champion, Cummins, etc, but they are only available in certain parts of the country. Generac is everywhere. Others like Honda are strong with smaller generators, but I am talking whole house generators (18KW to 25KW) with an automatic transfer switch. Apples and Oranges with the little 6500KW generators Honda specializes in.

Reactions: Goody101
I'm partial to the Cummins and Kohler units, they are simpler, tried and true technology. The Generac has their newest model, the 24KW, which is an uprated version of their 22KW. The cummins and Kohler have stuck with 20KW ratings. MOST people I work with are getting the 24KW Generac because "bigger is better".

To be clear, I don't sell generators so I don't have a dog in the hunt, but I connect a LOT of them and work with companies that do sell them, and homeowners that use them. My first choice is Cummins because they have the deepest background (my opinion) in generators (think boats, RV, etc.).

Another thing to be mindful of is Air Cooled versus Liquid Cooled. The air cooled models are essentially large lawn mower engines running at 3600 RPM. Water cooled models all run at 1800 RPM. Remember the 60 hertz frequency? All generators have to run at an RPM divisible by 60 to get the 60 hertz output sine wave.

So air cooled units are MUCH noisier and don't last as long (due to lighter duty engine components and higher running RPM's). Water cooled units are MUCH quieter and last much longer (think small car engine), but they are generally TWICE as expensive. The air cooled units will last most of us a VERY long time if maintained well.

FYI, don't install an air cooled unit near your bedroom, put it on the opposite side of the house near your neighbor's bedroom, especially if he's a CU fan.
All that is good info, noise is an issue with air cooled units. I live in the country and the nearest neighbor is hundreds of yards away, so I don't care. I would note that there are ten technicians who know how to work on an air cooled unit (like you said not al that different than lawn mowers) for every technician certified to work on a liquid cooled. Take that into consideration.

I’m glad you have had good success with it. Just not where my hard earned money will go with the numerous people that have told me otherwise. Not to mention a couple in here that seem very knowledgeable on the subject and the many horror story on the internet about them.
So if you don't like Generac, who would you use for a whole house generator with transfer switch?

For all you DIY’ers out there, don’t connect the generator output to your whole house without first turning off the main breaker. If you don’t, you are providing electricity to the electrical grid system and can injure people working on the lines.

So if you don't like Generac, who would you use for a whole house generator with transfer switch?
I will likely go with Cummins if I were going to do mine that way but that’s not how I want to “rig” mine. I’m not worried about stand by and transfer. I can go hook it up no more than my power goes out.

For all you DIY’ers out there, don’t connect the generator output to your whole house without first turning off the main breaker. If you don’t, you are providing electricity to the electrical grid system and can injure people working on the lines.
Best bet, and probably code, is to have a safety bracket mounted in your breaker box where you cant turn on the breaker for the generator without first turning off the main coming in. If you only know one thing about what to look for in hiring an electrician to wiring a home to plug in a generator, that is it imo.

Reactions: Ratheolcoach
I had a natural gas Generac for 12 years, sold my house and got a Propane Generac in the country we have had for three years all without a problem. Generac dominates the whole house market, selling more than any other two providers put together. Kohler is probably second, though it is stronger in the larger sizes and business uses. There are others, Briggs & Stratton, Champion, Cummins, etc, but they are only available in certain parts of the country. Generac is everywhere. Others like Honda are strong with smaller generators, but I am talking whole house generators (18KW to 25KW) with an automatic transfer switch. Apples and Oranges with the little 6500KW generators Honda specializes in.
Amen brother!!!!

Just because a company sales more than another does not mean they are the best.

Tethrd had the best marketing in the saddle hunting industry and sail probably 5 to 1 vs their competitors. They also have the highest resale and complaint rate. Fact of the matter is their Chinese quality is awful. Most people realize that after purchasing.

Lodge sells more cast iron than anyone else but it’s by far not the best.

I have had the same Honda EU3000is for about 20 years. Have had no problems with it at all, having just done normal maintenance/oil changes, etc. Mine was definitely well worth paying the higher price, FWIW....

Tethrd had the best marketing in the saddle hunting industry and sail probably 5 to 1 vs their competitors. They also have the highest resale and complaint rate. Fact of the matter is their Chinese quality is awful. Most people realize that after purchasing.

I agree it doesn't make them the best. I would call Kohler the best. But it does explain having more complaints than those with smaller sales. While Kohler may be the best, Generac has 5 times the number of dealers and repairmen than Kohler, at least in Texas, so if you aren't near one that can be a hassle. Generac was selling to the whole home generator market ten years before anyone else tried it. They are like the AT&T of whole house generators. Now maybe you like Verizon or TMobile better than ATT, but it is misleading to act like Generac is some Chinese knockoff. I have always had good results from Generac, as has everyone I know, and everyone I talk to on generator forums. But Kohler, Cummins, Briggs & Stratton make fine generators too. Buy whichever you can find and get installed, as everyone of those companies has more business than they can handle.

Another good example. Ford trucks.

Reactions: Neanderthal
I agree it doesn't make them the best. I would call Kohler the best. But it does explain having more complaints than those with smaller sales. While Kohler may be the best, Generac has 5 times the number of dealers and repairmen than Kohler, at least in Texas, so if you aren't near one that can be a hassle. Generac was selling to the whole home generator market ten years before anyone else tried it. They are like the AT&T of whole house generators. Now maybe you like Verizon or TMobile better than ATT, but it is misleading to act like Generac is some Chinese knockoff. I have always had good results from Generac, as has everyone I know, and everyone I talk to on generator forums. But Kohler, Cummins, Briggs & Stratton make fine generators too. Buy whichever you can find and get installed, as everyone of those companies has more business than they can handle.
agreed

I got the DuroMax 13000. It powers my whole house -- 4,000 sq ft. Runs on propane or gasoline. I prefer the propane.

Ordered online from Home Depot by the way. I picked it up at the store with no shipping charge.

We bought a Firman. I think is the brand. 1000 watts. It came from Costco. Got it for around $900. It’ll handle about anything I throw at it. Other than run the entire 2700 sq ft house. It’s a tri-fuel. Natural gas, LP, and gas.
I bought the same generator about three years ago. Runs off regular gas and LP.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT