ADVERTISEMENT

Our Coaches

It's too early to put the OC on the hot seat. (I think he'll be next year's sacrificial lamb).

If anyone goes, it's the DC, but I'm not convinced it happens.

Reactions: instateson
The role of coaching continues to be depreciated in real time. Top Ten teams like Texas, FSU, Oregon, USC-W, etc. didn't suddenly find the right set of coaches after years of largely floundering. They found the right set of wallets. This is the NIL taking hold of the college football scene.

Reactions: stu1cocks
Who’s on the hot seat?

Clayton? Hardesty?

Your thoughts? Does Beamer even have the balls to address the issue?
Hardesty for sure. His lack of recruiting has been pathetic.

I dont think the defense is as bad as the stats say. Our lack of running game and ability to maintain drives puts the defense out on the field a bunch. Our time of posession ranking is in the bottom 25% of D1 football. Im not ready to toss Clayton out quite yet. The defense are not world beaters, but they have kept us in all the games.

I would like to see us hire a linebacker coach and let Clayton White focus on the big picture for defense. Our LB play is not good.

I was not a fan of the Teasley hire for O Line coach at the time but he got some major studs in the '23 class and more coming in the '24 class. Thats not something that gets fixed overnight so I think he is a wait and see.

It's too early to put the OC on the hot seat. (I think he'll be next year's sacrificial lamb).

If anyone goes, it's the DC, but I'm not convinced it happens.

Hard to believe Beamer will get a third chance at hiring an OC.

If next year continues on this trajectory we will be starting fresh in 2025.

Hard to believe Beamer will get a third chance at hiring an OC.

If next year continues on this trajectory we will be starting fresh in 2025.

Interesting you can make this call after 5 games?

USC head coaches have a life cycle of about 5 years.

The only coach to exceed that in the SEC era was Spurrier. Pre-SEC era - Carlin in the 1970s.

Beamer will take his $35mil and do whatever he wants.

We'll shuffle a new staff in to reset waning fan enthusiasm.

USC football is largely for entertainment purposes.

The NIL "best team money can buy" program only serves to solidify that fact.

The only coach to exceed that in the SEC era was Spurrier. Pre-SEC era - Carlin in the 1970s.

The NIL "best team money can buy" outfit only serves to solidify that fact.

I might have misread, I thought he meant that if this offensive trajectory holds, the OC would be gone after next year. (He responded to my post saying such)

I thought the clean slate meant starting over with the 3rd OC hire in 2025.

Reactions: Ward Jr
Loggains will get all 3 years of his contract. Wait and see. ZERO chance Beamer fires him. He will get this year with Rattler and 2 years with Sellers.

Reactions: TinianII

The NIL "best team money can buy" program only serves to solidify that fact.

It will be a sad state of affairs if we give Beamer a fifth year just based on the buyout, but it may happen.

But I think you’re ignoring that there was so much toxicity in the fanbase at the end of the Muschamp era. It’s bubbling back up and is under a thin layer. Before Saturday all the fans could rely on “but we beat UT and Clemson last year.” But now the UT talking point is gone. If we end up losing to Clemson by 3 scores that toxicity will come through the surface. You can already see a difference in the fanbase after Saturday.

I think everyone will remember how it was a bad idea to give Muschamp a fifth year after going 4-8 and that will weigh heavily on everyone if we end up 4-8 or 5-7 in 2024.

The fanbase is also going to fall apart if we finish 5-7 this year with Rattler.

Loggains will get all 3 years of his contract. Wait and see. ZERO chance Beamer fires him. He will get this year with Rattler and 2 years with Sellers.

Lile I said, this gers all the serious consideration your other proclamations did.

When you're wrong, AGAIN, you'll just whine that his next job "stole" him from us, and we didn't show him the door.

Reactions: uscwatson21
It will be a sad state of affairs if we give Beamer a fifth year just based on the buyout, but it may happen.

But I think you’re ignoring that there was so much toxicity in the fanbase at the end of the Muschamp era. It’s bubbling back up and is under a thin layer. Before Saturday all the fans could rely on “but we beat UT and Clemson last year.” But now the UT talking point is gone. If we end up losing to Clemson by 3 scores that toxicity will come through the surface. You can already see a difference in the fanbase after Saturday.

I think everyone will remember how it was a bad idea to give Muschamp a fifth year after going 4-8 and that will weigh heavily on everyone if we end up 4-8 or 5-7 in 2024.

The fanbase is also going to fall apart if we finish 5-7 this year with Rattler.

It's possible. If we don't beat UF at home in two weeks which is no easy task, we're headed across country to take on a pretty good Missouri team followed by a game at A&M.

Muschamp overstayed his welcome and I do blame that squarely on Ray Tanner. He approved the contract terms and extensions. However, I don't believe it's fair to place any Muschamp hangover on Beamer -- especially given Beamer is having to deal with losing some of his best players each year to the NIL situation.

Let's see how this and next season play out before we bring in the gallows once again. Beamer isn't going anywhere with the $21mil buyout this year and approx. $17mil* in 2024. (*given no EOY contract extension in '23)

Better chance somebody takes one of our coaches than we fire them. Beamer has much more success here, and we won't be able to keep him either. Bigger programs looking for a young coach on the rise would look at what Beamer has done and grade him on a curve because it's South Carolina.

And the howling monkeys can live in their delusional world claiming we "fired" him. lol

Let's see how this and next season play out before we bring in the gallows once again. Beamer isn't going anywhere with the $21mil buyout this year and approx. $17mil* in 2024. (*given no EOY contract extension in '23)

That would be fair if you also told @GoCocksFight2021 to slow down with the "no one is going anywhere!!!" argument.

That would be fair if you also told @GoCocksFight2021 to slow down with the "no one is going anywhere!!!" argument.

lol

crying-it-is.gif

Better chance somebody takes one of our coaches than we fire them. Beamer has much more success here, and we won't be able to keep him either. Bigger programs looking for a young coach on the rise would look at what Beamer has done and grade him on a curve because it's South Carolina.

And the howling monkeys can live in their delusional world claiming we "fired" him. lol

As I said, you'll just claim someone "stole" the next coach Beamer gets rid of, like you did with Satterfield.

And I don't think Beamer is on anyone's short list right now. No need to worry he'll be "stolen".

Reactions: uscwatson21
Does Coach Beamer have a buyout in his contract? If he does, how much is it?
The article i found said it is 65% of his guaranteed salary. But it did not give a break down of that vs salary from outside sources.

(The old deal was 1.1M guaranteed vs 1.6M from other sources)

I find this all very entertaining. The point Ward Jr made about how the game has changed how much good coaching really matters is not a small one. Do we really think Texas, FSU, the other USC, etc. all of a sudden became powerhouses again after years of futility because they found a magic coach? They found a magic stack of money that they can now use freely. Do we really think Kirby Smart is the second coming of Vince Lombardi? I know I don't. How many wins would Kirby get with our team? So, fire Beamer, don't fire Beamer, whatever. It keeps everybody's attention away from the real issue. Money talks and you know the rest...

I find this all very entertaining. The point Ward Jr made about how the game has changed how much good coaching really matters is not a small one. Do we really think Texas, FSU, the other USC, etc. all of a sudden became powerhouses again after years of futility because they found a magic coach? They found a magic stack of money that they can now use freely. Do we really think Kirby Smart is the second coming of Vince Lombardi? I know I don't. How many wins would Kirby get with our team? So, fire Beamer, don't fire Beamer, whatever. It keeps everybody's attention away from the real issue. Money talks and you know the rest...
It doesn’t matter to me anymore. I’ve long ago accepted that we’ll fill our stadium every game whatever our record is. We accept being a mediocre team in all sports. It’s the same loyalty phenomenon of Black Americans voting 90 percent for Democrats when the Democratic Party continues to treat them worse election after election. With a guaranteed 90 percent why would Democratic politicians improve anything for Black Americans?

Reactions: ElectricalCock89

I think you’re ignoring how the pendulum is swinging back in favor of good coaching. It used to be that someone like Dabo could buy his way to a national title. Now you have to actually be able to coach and not just recruit.

I think you’re ignoring how the pendulum is swinging back in favor of good coaching. It used to be that someone like Dabo could buy his way to a national title. Now you have to actually be able to coach and not just recruit.

How did you arrive at that conclusion with the NIL and portal just taking flight? Why is the pendulum swinging back when were only in the inception years of the program?

How did you arrive at that conclusion with the NIL and portal just taking flight? Why is the pendulum swinging back when were only in the inception years of the program?

It’s the logical conclusion because buying players deemphasizes recruiting not coaching.

It’s the logical conclusion because buying players deemphasizes recruiting not coaching.
Ummmm...okay. I would argue that coaching great players is a little easier than coaching so-so players. Would Kirby Smart win back to back national titles here? I sincerely doubt it. Recruiting is not deemphasized, the way in which it occurs has changed for sure.

Recruiting is not deemphasized, the way in which it occurs has changed for sure.

This. We're arguing semantics. Recruiting isn't nearly as important when you can outright buy players.

But call the buying of players the new way to recruit, and recruiting is completely important again.

Ummmm...okay. I would argue that coaching great players is a little easier than coaching so-so players. Would Kirby Smart win back to back national titles here? I sincerely doubt it. Recruiting is not deemphasized, the way in which it occurs has changed for sure.

You're missing the important distinction. It isn't that buying good players isn't important. It's easier for a coach to recruit when they can buy players openly. So when you hire a coach these days, the emphasis needs to be their ability to coach players. You don't want to just hire a personality like Dabo.

It is easier for a coach to buy players openly. The problem is having the money to buy enough of them. That is where we fall short. The difference between the elite and the next tier has never been larger as Kensucky learned last week.

It is easier for a coach to buy players openly. The problem is having the money to buy enough of them. That is where we fall short. The difference between the elite and the next tier has never been larger as Kensucky learned last week.

Yes, that's why we need a coach who can outcoach other coaches. Do you think our current staff can outcoach many coaches in the SEC?

Yes, that's why we need a coach who can outcoach other coaches. Do you think our current staff can outcoach many coaches in the SEC?
I think we should realistaically define what success is in footbal first. IMO, it's not getting to the CFP, that is unobtanium now and even less likely after Texas and Oklahoma invade. Is it going to any bowl, a better bowl, a really good bowl? To me, until you come up with realistic expectations, you can't say what the right coach really looks like. I think a young person with a wide open offense that is fun to play for, has lots of energy and doesn't cost much. Don't waste as much $$ on defense because defense doesn't win championships anymore. Save the $$ to pay the players. I don't know.

Reactions: Lurker123
I think we should realistaically define what success is in footbal first. IMO, it's not getting to the CFP, that is unobtanium now and even less likely after Texas and Oklahoma invade. Is it going to any bowl, a better bowl, a really good bowl? To me, until you come up with realistic expectations, you can't say what the right coach really looks like. I think a young person with a wide open offense that is fun to play for, has lots of energy and doesn't cost much. Don't waste as much $$ on defense because defense doesn't win championships anymore. Save the $$ to pay the players. I don't know.

Yeah I think instead of worrying about championships, we should look for someone that either runs his own offense or has the ability to hire competent coordinators. Our last two coaches have shown they're unable to hire competent coordinators.

Yeah I think instead of worrying about championships, we should look for someone that either runs his own offense or has the ability to hire competent coordinators. Our last two coaches have shown they're unable to hire competent coordinators.
We need mean SOB’s, With Killer instincts!! We’ve played against a few!!

100%. People are just in denial about this. We are in the bottom 3rd of NIL in the SEC. That's our competition.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT