ADVERTISEMENT

Pass the time question.

jeff2001

Apr 5, 2003
What is the most overrated play in sports history ?.
Jordan shot over Ehlo. It was only the 1st round playoff and Jordan hit way bigger shots in his career.

Jordan shot over Ehlo. It was only the 1st round playoff and Jordan hit way bigger shots in his career.
Same player but I was thinking about in the NBA Finals against the Lakers when he switched to the left hand in mid-air and laid the ball up instead of dunking. There was no one in the air with him and it was completely unnecessary. He was just hotdogging.

Same player but I was thinking about in the NBA Finals against the Lakers when he switched to the left hand in mid-air and laid the ball up instead of dunking. There was no one in the air with him and it was completely unnecessary. He was just hotdogging.

hah i beat you to it...no doubt the most overhyped play in sports lore

Reactions: funktavious

hah i beat you to it...no doubt the most overhyped play in sports lore

No Way Jose... Christain Laettner's turn around jumper against Kentucky in the NCAA's wins the bullshit award.

Besides, there's NO SUCH THING as a highlight making play in basketball

All of us have already seen every possible dunk, shot, lay-up, steal. rebound, whatever in basketball a thousand times over. I've seen at least 20 FULL COURT shots made, live, by Pros, college, high school, girls, wheel-chair, blind, one-armed, Grandma's.and Chinese Midgets. Basketball is the over rated spoof. And now with video's ... LOL you ain't missing anything.

You might as well have asked for overrated blocked hockey shots....... OH!!! There's a new one we haven't seen before.

Last edited:
unfortunately the refs don't call opi anymore
They sure didn't call it that year up at UPC when their receiver jumped all up the back of our defender to set up the winning field goal.. Still the most hurting loss in my lifetime. We would have been as well or better off to simply rub him out of the play and take our chances.

They sure didn't call it that year up at UPC when their receiver jumped all up the back of our defender to set up the winning field goal.. Still the most hurting loss in my lifetime. We would have been as well or better off to simply rub him out of the play and take our chances.

UPC?

University of Pickens County, or Upstate Pickens County, depending.
University of Pickens County. I coined it in 1998 on the old AST board as an answer to A Tiger With Class, as he called himself, and all those other people who wanted to claim that the college in Pickens County is the University of South Carolina. My response to that was, if they had to be the university of something, they could be what they are, the University of Pickens County. I've never deviated from that and I never will.

They ran the same play, 2 plays before. The pass was under thrown, and Gardner put a meat hook over Goodman's shoulder and neck, and yanked him down before the ball arrived. Otherwise Goodman would have likely intercepted. It happened exactly in front of the same official as the push off 2 plays later that set up the field goal. It was awful living in the upstate and having to listen to all the paper tigers.

"The Catch" by Dwight Clark. Not taking anything away from him, it was just overblown the way the NFL does everything. "The Immaculate Reception" is up there too.

Reactions: Cock_Donor
Reggie Jackson's swing at 3-first pitches and hitting three bombs in 1977 world series. Tied Babe' record in world series history (Babe did it twice.) The next year Reggie swung at first pitch in first game and hit a bomb.

Jeter flip play I think was pretty great and the immaculate reception pretty amazing too.
The whole McGwire/Sosa HR race was so fun to watch in the moment and now means absolutely nothing (of course it's not really flaunted around either which I know is the point of the OP)

They ran the same play, 2 plays before. The pass was under thrown, and Gardner put a meat hook over Goodman's shoulder and neck, and yanked him down before the ball arrived. Otherwise Goodman would have likely intercepted. It happened exactly in front of the same official as the push off 2 plays later that set up the field goal. It was awful living in the upstate and having to listen to all the paper tigers.

Yeah, that was Mike Washington a former Alabama player. There is the Tide and Tater connection again.

Washington also called a long TD pass back on a Gamecock receiver for offensive pass interference in the 1st half.

Yeah, that was Mike Washington a former Alabama player. There is the Tide and Tater connection again.

Washington also called a long TD pass back on a Gamecock receiver for offensive pass interference in the 1st half.
That was Brian Scott that caught that pass that was called back. He made an amazing catch over the DB. I couldn't believe they called that PI. It was a terrible call.

Back when I was an NBA fan. That was when the Bulls could beat teams like the Cavs but could never get past the Pistons in the playoffs. While it's true he probably had bigger shots, that was a pretty cool one because he kinda hung in the air and let it go at the last second and playoff buzzer beaters are not that common.

I'll go with a Jordan, too, but I'll say it's the free throw line dunk to win the slam dunk contest in '88 (I think). He actually took off inside the line, and there wasn't much power. MJ benefited from some home cooking in Chicago, and Dominique Wilkins got robbed.

I know the most overrated player .... Michael Jordan. Not to be confused with the most well known and most famous player in NBA history, thanks to Nike and ESPN.

"The Catch" by Dwight Clark. Not taking anything away from him, it was just overblown the way the NFL does everything. "The Immaculate Reception" is up there too.
The Cowboys got the ball with around 50 seconds left. And Drew Pearson catch a pass over the middle and would have been gone. But a 49er player horse collared him to bring him down and the cowboys fumbled on the next play. The horse collar tackle saved the game.

Reactions: ken in sacramento
I know the most overrated player .... Michael Jordan. Not to be confused with the most well known and most famous player in NBA history, thanks to Nike and ESPN.
They basically have changed the traveling rule from the high school level up to cover the fact that he walked on almost every drive. That said, he was a gamer. I can't say he was overrated. He conquered the mountains that were set before him.

Reactions: funktavious
They basically have changed the traveling rule from the high school level up to cover the fact that he walked on almost every drive. That said, he was a gamer. I can't say he was overrated. He conquered the mountains that were set before him.

You're right, king, he was a gamer, but I'm just so tired of Jordan being unanimously crowned the GOAT. For his first 6 years in the league, he could never beat Bird's Celtics, much less the Pistons or Magic's Lakers. He won 6 titles from 1991-1998, when the league talent was watered down from expansion and age of its stars. When he went off to try baseball, the Bulls only won 2 less games the next year without him. All superstars get the benefit of calls, but it was ridiculous officiating with Jordan. Yes, he was one of the all-time greats, but if I were starting an NBA team and could pick any player in his prime to start with, Russell, Chamberlain, Jabbar, Baylor, Robertson, West, Johnson, Bird, and possibly Duncan would be higher on my list, and all with good reason. Jordan won because he was finally surrounded with great complimentary teammates (Pippen, Grant and Rodman especially), the others became winners because they made their teammates better with their play.

You're right, king, he was a gamer, but I'm just so tired of Jordan being unanimously crowned the GOAT. For his first 6 years in the league, he could never beat Bird's Celtics, much less the Pistons or Magic's Lakers. He won 6 titles from 1991-1998, when the league talent was watered down from expansion and age of its stars. When he went off to try baseball, the Bulls only won 2 less games the next year without him. All superstars get the benefit of calls, but it was ridiculous officiating with Jordan. Yes, he was one of the all-time greats, but if I were starting an NBA team and could pick any player in his prime to start with, Russell, Chamberlain, Jabbar, Baylor, Robertson, West, Johnson, Bird, and possibly Duncan would be higher on my list, and all with good reason. Jordan won because he was finally surrounded with great complimentary teammates (Pippen, Grant and Rodman especially), the others became winners because they made their teammates better with their play.
I don't care who you bring up for GOAT or near GOAT, in whatever sport. There will always be chinks in the armor somewhere.

Reactions: bdblack
Babe Ruth's called shot? Did it really occur?

Some people think he was simply indicating he had 2 strikes on him

Only one article written after that WS game said he called the shot but one article back then was all it took, LOL

Wrigley+2.jpg

Last edited:
Some may disagree but I always thought Cal Ripken Jr was overrated. Average player for the most part. He did show up every day at the ballpark but other than that wasn't overly impressive. JMO

Some may disagree but I always thought Cal Ripken Jr was overrated. Average player for the most part. He did show up every day at the ballpark but other than that wasn't overly impressive. JMO

He was legendary for signing every autograph seeker in line at his car after the home games, should that count for something LOL?

All the injuries that the players claim to have makes me think his streak wont be broken, a bunch of overpaid premadonnas in MLB

But the fact that Jim Marshall started 270 straight games at Defensive end with none of today's padding and protection and got hit on every play, 20 consecutive seasons and was very good, but we never hear of that streak, but that is a more impressive one

Farve technically broke it but it still stands for defensive players

He was legendary for signing every autograph seeker in line at his car after the home games, should that count for something LOL?

All the injuries that the players claim to have makes me think his streak wont be broken, a bunch of overpaid premadonnas in MLB
Definitely very classy guy.

Ripken was a pretty steady guy...I dont think of him ever being portrayed as a world-beater by anyone (other than the Iron Man thing which was pretty impressive). He has the 25th highest total WAR stat in MLB history (if you believe that stat

Career Avg - .276
Career Hits - 3,184 (15th all time)
Career Runs - 1,647 (36th all time)
Career HR - 431 (48th all time)
Career RBI - 1,695 (27th all time)

Also has pretty high ranks in the all time catagories for Doubles (15th), Total Bases (16th), Sac Flys (2nd), Defensive Assist (2nd)

A lot of his feats were due to playing a long time but if you look at his year to year breakdowns he really was a very solid player his whole career, even towards the end.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT