ADVERTISEMENT

Poll question!...

What was the MAIN contributor to the poor defensive performance last year?

• Scheme switch

Votes: 15 19.5%
  • Lack of talent

Votes: 56 72.7%
  • Too young

Votes: 6 7.8%

• Total voters
Aug 17, 2004
Eugene, OR
Opinions on last year's defense:

I've added an additional choice because I don't agree with most of you. LOL
I should do this for a living!
You listening Hillar(it)y?

Last edited:
i voted lack of talent, but it could really have been both....this was my personal opinion on last years defense and i really mean it
zzzzz+Exorcist_PukeGIF.gif

lack of talent at the DE position and inexperience in the secondary. Both issues appear to have been addressed. We shall see.

Reactions: kmuusc
Ward and Adams were the issues and we still have them both. Don't know if Hoke can fix it.

Of the three, lack of talent seemed most appropriate. The main reason was lack of effort. You didn't have to be a seasoned veteran coach to see the lack of effort from some of our defensive....and offensive for that matter.......players. Some of our players almost seemed disinterested in the game at times. The fumbles that Davis had against South Alabama were inexcusable. Some of the blocking by our tackles last year was a joke. Most of all, our tackling was the highlight of our failures on defense. I can understand the learning curve, and someone who is just flat out better, or talented. Lack of effort shows the player is simply not determined enough, or improperly coached.

Granted we weren't the most talented team in the SEC last year but we were talented enough to get those 4th quarter leads we blew. The same team that got the leads blew the leads so again it was conditioning. Tenn. Mizzo. and Kentucky didn't do anything in the latter part of the game they didn't do in the beginning of the game. We just couldn't stop them when we needed to. We should have won 10 games last year folks.

Like a few others, I think there is more to the Deke Adams effect than any of the reasons you list.

I voted "lack of talent" but I think a big part of that was lack of fundamentals. To be honest, I think most defenses with average or better talent can still be respectable (not blow double digit leads multiple times in the 4th quarter to mediocre teams) if they are fundamentally sound and know how to break down, wrap up, and tackle. It's that simple to me. I'm willing to say that if last year's defense could have applied those three fundamentals, they win at least 2 of those blown games.

Reactions: Mr CockStrong
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT