ADVERTISEMENT

Practice observations: early defensive depth chart, impressions on a few sophomores

C

Collyn Taylor

Some observations I picked up watching primarily the defense:

--It'll be said by everybody but I left impressed with how big Zacch Pickensis. He's listed at 6-foot-3 but is a lot bigger than that. It does look like Israel Mukuamu and RJ Roderick have both gotten bigger in the weight room this summer. Look more the part of an SEC player now.
--New assistant Thomas Brown is working some with special teams now during those periods. I saw him focusing pretty heavily with the gunners. Offensive drills he focuses on running backs.
--On field goal team, Joseph Charlton was working as the first-team holder for Parker White. Summie Carlay was also repping with the first team that included guys like Donell Stanley and Dylan Wonnum.
--Some good news, but DJ Wonnum and Aaron Sterling were back and full-go with the defensive line. Wonnum had some heavy tape on his ankles and Sterling had a hefty knee brace on his left knee after injuring it against Ole Miss.
--Team did some punt return drills as well before breaking off into position drills. Some guys that I saw working with as returners: Joe Thomas, AJ Turner, Kevin Pickens, Jaycee Horn, Josh Vann.
--Defense did some drills where we kind of get a look at how depth chart and rotations could look here's when and where they repped:

First DL group: Wonnum, Kobe Smith, Rick Sandidge, Aaron Sterling
First linebacker group: Sherrod Greene, Ernest Jones, Eldridge Thompson
First DB group: Israel Mukuamu, Jonathan Gipson, RJ Roderick, Jaycee Horn

Second DL group: Brad Johnson, Devontae Davis (tackle), Jabari Ellis, J.J. Enagbare
Second LB group: Zay Brown, Spencer Eason-Riddle, Damani Staley
Second DP group: AJ Turner, Jamel Cook (safety), Jaylin Dickerson (safety), Kevin Pickens

Third DL group: Rodricus Fitten, Griffin Gentry, Joseph Anderson

--Keep in mind Javon Kinlaw is out for the spring along with TJ Brunson and Rosendo Louis Jr. doing just some shell work. Fitten was both standing up at the BUCK spot and got down in a stance as an end, too. Anderson looks the bill early as a freshman for a guy that has only been on campus for a few months.

--I also like Jamel Cook's size. He's really long and could be a guy that makes an impact this season. Still way too early on that right now with it being first day of spring ball.

Check out the full Day 1 updates
And Chris Clark's other updates from the other practice field and on some Gamecock returners

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News