ADVERTISEMENT

Prospect to watch in the 2022 class...

Chris Clark

Football/Recruiting Insider
Jan 3, 2005
GamecockCentral.com has learned that South Carolina has remained engaged with a high-level 2022 prospect out of the Peach State.

Oconee County (Georgia) TE Jake Johnson, ranked by Rivals.com as the nation's top tight end prospect, has been committed to LSU since April. His brother, Max, is the starting QB for the Tigers and threw a game-winning touchdown pass against Texas A&M last weekend. Jake is the son of former NFL QB (and thorn in my Carolina Panthers' side) Brad Johnson.

We can report that South Carolina head coach Shane Beamer has been in touch with Johnson this week.

There are some connections here. Johnson's high school head coach is Travis Noland, the father of South Carolina QB Zeb Noland. And, Johnson already has a rapport with Beamer from his time at Oklahoma as an assistant under Lincoln Riley.

Ed Orgeron is out after this season in Baton Rouge. Lincoln Riley was thought to be a target of the Tigers for the head coaching position at LSU, which would have made a splash. Instead, he's headed to Southern Cal.

Here's what Johnson told Rivals.com in the spring of 2020 regarding Beamer:

"I have been talking with coach Beamer at Oklahoma and he is a really good coach. He is very relatable and we have had some good talks. I like the Oklahoma offense too, it is special. They really use tight ends and I think the offense really fits my style of play. they are very creative and I want to visit out there."

This is a situation we'll be monitoring going forward.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News