ADVERTISEMENT

Raleigh N&O article: Connor Mitch

Very good article! Great info!

I didn't know that the former UNC QB, Renner, is his old high school coach's son.

He's got the background to be a good QB. He just need to keep working hard, like Shaw did, and he'll be successful.

Naysayers are waiting for the season to start. I think Mitch will be good, but nothing is for certain until the lights come on at the end of August.

I hope Mitch does very well but I think if he is to lead us to the promised land he would have played more last year. The fact the HBC didn't let him see the field doesn't make me feel too confident. And, the fact that a walk-on is solidly in the hunt really bothers me.

I'm holding my breath and hope Mitch knocks it out of the park.

The silence to me is concerning. I know Spurrier doesn't just come out and name a starter early because that isn't how he does business but the evidence that Mitch is solidly out front should have trickled down by now from those who are close to the program. It hasn't to my knowledge. May not mean a thing but I will be REALLY nervous come kickoff time against the Holes. Guess I am still traumatized by the Keith Matkins situation. "5 star can't miss prospect from a nationally recognized high school power" never even saw the field at Carolina. I don't think Mitch will be a flop but we need him to live up to his billing plus some. Not seeing him play hasn't helped.

I hope Mitch does very well but I think if he is to lead us to the promised land he would have played more last year. The fact the HBC didn't let him see the field doesn't make me feel too confident. And, the fact that a walk-on is solidly in the hunt really bothers me.

I'm holding my breath and hope Mitch knocks it out of the park.

I didn't wanna be the one to say it, but I'm also troubled by that same thought. As a 4star, CMshould have already distanced himself from the competiion, but I guess not. It means either CM still has not progressed as we had all hoped, or that the walk on is doing much better than anyone would have imagined. I guess we'll find out in about three weeks who the starter will be.

What bothered me last year was Mitch's body language the few times he got to play. I know that he didn't get to play much but it concerned me.

Well if he can't distance himself from a walk on, then there is a doubt in Spurrier's mind that he can get it done. SEC and college football is different then high school ball. Remember the Smelley and Beecher days. There isn't a QB on our roster that can lead us to a championship, no way.

Does the irony of some posters register here. So many experts, so little facts. One QB has not played, so he must not be very good. Another QB just arrived and he is expected to push the first guy to the bench. We don't have any good or even decent QB's. Let me describe how every team on the schedule will beat us. Coach has lost it. Coach is lazy. Coach need to retire. Worry, worry, woe is us.

Take a sedative guys. We will be OK. Life goes on and I am still glad to be a Gamecock for life.

Nice article about Spurrier in Greenville paper.
http://www.greenvilleonline.com/sto...layers-solid-support-steve-spurrier/30644567/

And another about Watson.
http://www.greenvilleonline.com/sto...aun-watson-clemson-habitat-humanity/30644195/

Seems like a good kid to me but I hope we can derail his offense in November.

Last edited:
Well if he can't distance himself from a walk on, then there is a doubt in Spurrier's mind that he can get it done. SEC and college football is different then high school ball. Remember the Smelley and Beecher days. There isn't a QB on our roster that can lead us to a championship, no way.

Smelley had the potential to be a good QB in the right offense, which would have to be a more pro-style like Uga and the one Spurrier ran with Mitchell. I wish we would have had GA here then. I think one of Smelley's biggest problems was dealing with Spurrier and all the other bs going on at the time...i.e. Garcia's problems.

Does the irony of some posters register here. So many experts, so little facts. One QB has not played, so he must not be very good. Another QB just arrived and he is expected to push the first guy to the bench. We don't have any good or even decent QB's. Let me describe how every team on the schedule will beat us. Coach has lost it. Coach is lazy. Coach need to retire. Worry, worry, woe is us.

Take a sedative guys. We will be OK. Life goes on and I am still glad to be a Gamecock for life.

If you're referring to basses he's been the same since...well, forever. He dogged every QB we've ever had, even Shaw.

Who knows how any kids is gonna perform. Mitch has a lot of potential and seems to be a bright QB. But then again some are great in hs and even great in practice at the college level, but can't get it done when the lights are on in live action. And star rankings don't have a damn thing to do with that as far as QB's go. They either have it...and I mean physically, athletically and mentally...or they don't. It's different from any other single position on the field.

We'll find out soon if Connor has it all. And I'm hoping he does. Sure there will be a learning curve and he won't be perfect all the time. I just hope he's perfect when it counts and gets W's.

A lot of people were questioning Shaw basically until the Missouri game during his Senior year. There is no doubt Mitch is an unknown....I would say however he has the tools, and our staff to set him up for success. My guess would be that he has a successful season, just how good is an unknown. Much depends on the health of the line. I say 2500 yds, 18 td's, 9 picks. I bet the running game comes through big time, and we also see Wildcat success from Cooper and Nunez.

Smelley had the potential to be a good QB in the right offense, which would have to be a more pro-style like Uga and the one Spurrier ran with Mitchell. I wish we would have had GA here then. I think one of Smelley's biggest problems was dealing with Spurrier and all the other bs going on at the time...i.e. Garcia's problems.

I agree with Smelley having problems dealing with SOS. Remember one game SOS was talking to him as he came off the field and Smedley completely ignored him. Some coaches would have benched him right then.

If you're referring to basses he's been the same since...well, forever. He dogged every QB we've ever had, even Shaw.

Who knows how any kids is gonna perform. Mitch has a lot of potential and seems to be a bright QB. But then again some are great in hs and even great in practice at the college level, but can't get it done when the lights are on in live action. And star rankings don't have a damn thing to do with that as far as QB's go. They either have it...and I mean physically, athletically and mentally...or they don't. It's different from any other single position on the field.

We'll find out soon if Connor has it all. And I'm hoping he does. Sure there will be a learning curve and he won't be perfect all the time. I just hope he's perfect when it counts and gets W's.
Wrong

Wrong , Shaw was and is the best QB that has come through this school since Grantz. Liked Thompson, but if we had Shaw last year we would have been a lot better on offense.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT