ADVERTISEMENT

Ray Tanner just said he still feels really good about Muschamp

I also get the buyout thing, I do, but unless you stop extending the coach so his buyout will decrease to basically nothing, you’ll always have a significant one. Good luck getting players and keeping assistants with a multi year lame duck coach. Florida still owed Moose last year (his last payment) and baby shark for probably a few more at least. Something like $13.8 million between them. Pull the trigger on both.

Yeap and that’s why UF is a blue chip program . Buyouts don’t mean a hill a beans to them . If Mullen falters they will buy him out too .

I also get the buyout thing, I do, but unless you stop extending the coach so his buyout will decrease to basically nothing, you’ll always have a significant one. Good luck getting players and keeping assistants with a multi year lame duck coach. Florida still owed Moose last year (his last payment) and baby shark for probably a few more at least. Something like $13.8 million between them. Pull the trigger on both.
Your talking $13.8 Million between both your old coach's. and were stuck with almost double that for one!!

He will probably be on Saban's shadow staff next year if he gets fired, or go to Georgia to be with his best friend Kirby.

Agree, it everyone will know he’s a terrible head coach.

Not that they had any real doubts before he got to USC.

There are only a couple ways this plays out.
Nothing is going to happen this year and anyone with a brain should have seen that. NEXT year either Muschamp wins enough for Tanner to say I told you so and give him an extension, or they both go out together on the shield when Rays boss has had enough.

I keep hearing people talking about these buy outs. Somebody explain how that works, if they owe Champ $22 million bucks, he ain't gonna say ok just give me $5 instead and I'll leave.

No but he could agree to spread it out so it’s not all owed at once and maybe even get a little more in exchange for not taking the lump sum.

There are only a couple ways this plays out.
Nothing is going to happen this year and anyone with a brain should have seen that. NEXT year either Muschamp wins enough for Tanner to say I told you so and give him an extension, or they both go out together on the shield when Rays boss has had enough.
Good Lord, ANOTHER extension? So basically have one decent season and get extended for a couple more years? Where’s the logic in that? How about string together 2-3 good seasons and then MAYBE we can talk extension.

Good Lord, ANOTHER extension? So basically have one decent season and get extended for a couple more years? Where’s the logic in that? How about string together 2-3 good seasons and then MAYBE we can talk extension.
There was no logic in the last extension. NOBODY was coming after Muschamp or Tanner. We just stupidly kept up with the Joneses.

There was no logic in the last extension. NOBODY was coming after Muschamp or Tanner. We just stupidly kept up with the Joneses.
Heath tried to claim Auburn or LSU were coming after Muschamp but I saw no evidence of that. I think, like someone else said, Tanner got snookered by Muschamp agent. In the end we ALL got snookered because Ray made us all look like fools.

What's really gonna be crazy is when we go something like 3-9 this year and next year he goes 6-6 and then at the end of that Ray says good job Will, you got it headed in the right direction and gives him another 2 yr contract, so well be right back where we started!

Heath tried to claim Auburn or LSU were coming after Muschamp but I saw no evidence of that. I think, like someone else said, Tanner got snookered by Muschamp agent. In the end we ALL got snookered because Ray made us all look like fools.
I don't pretend to know the back room stuff and maybe Heath does but I can't believe that Auburn or LSU woulda hired Muschamp at all. I get why we ended up with Muschamp, but Auburn and LSU are above him IMO.

Reactions: howard13
What's really gonna be crazy is when we go something like 3-9 this year and next year he goes 6-6 and then at the end of that Ray says good job Will, you got it headed in the right direction and gives him another 2 yr contract, so well be right back where we started!
I HOPE that does not happen but IMO Tanner is 100% ride or die with Muschamp.

Reactions: gamecockblack
I HOPE that does not happen but IMO Tanner is 100% ride or die with Muschamp.
I think it has more to do with Tanner didn’t want to be wrong about Muschamp since he was his emergency hire. Tanner plans to go down with the ship, I can understand why he’s all about Muschamp but he thinks we are fools because we are seeing the same things he is but he’s putting a helluva spin on it.

I just think Tanners probably thinking hes got like 3-4 years left, so if he can get just a couple of 6-6 years out of Champ well all be happy and let the next person figure out what to do.

I have no idea what’s going on behind the scenes, but it’s imperative that from this point forward, Tanner (and Boom’s) decision making days are over other than purely coaching decisions until this misery is over. I’m sure the powers that be at the very least don’t want another mid season opening because frankly, the coaches we need are still coaching, so we really didn’t have much head start with SOS’ timing.

Reactions: Goose cock
That's kinda what I expect.

I think it has more to do with Tanner didn’t want to be wrong about Muschamp since he was his emergency hire. Tanner plans to go down with the ship, I can understand why he’s all about Muschamp but he thinks we are fools because we are seeing the same things he is but he’s putting a helluva spin on it.
Muschamp was not even on tanners list. We bumbled around waiting on Herman so long the Kirby ship sailed. When Herman said no thanks tanner took the easy route and grabbed a proven loser

To me, Ray managed to come off as both arrogant, aloof and disconnected as well as defensive and borderline combative.

What was bothersome was the words he used in his defense of Muschamp. I have to agree with Heath Cline that Ray has no plans right to make a change -- no matter what. He seems fully prepared to go down with the ship.

giphy.gif

Reactions: howard13
As mad as I am about this year, I still think firing Muschamp at the end of the season (barring a 1-10 season or something else catastrophic happening) would be a mistake. He is definitely not meeting expectations and not looking anything like a D1 Head Coach in the past two years. I just don't think we can throw that buyout money at him. That would haunt us for years to come. He is going to earn every penny this University pays him either by delivering a championship team or suffering through the next few years as a losing coach with Gamecock nation flaming his a$$ day and night; burning all his coaching credibility. I say that partly because I'm not sure I see any coaching upgrades out there- or none that we could afford if we buy Muschamp out. We're stuck with him and he's stuck with us.

I still say we can demand changes in the staff and that needs to be on the plate after the season- assuming there is no big turnaround (yuk yuk).

One thing I do see is the kids playing hard. That is really why this is heartbreaking. We have good players who play hard.

Ken, I am not sure how familiar you are with University budgets and athletics. $18 million is a large absolute number, but in the big scheme of things, USC is close to a half billion $ enterprise. The $18 million tag is easily afforded. The problem is that Ray will be done here too if he makes that move.

Ray is fighting to keep his job. He has hitched his wagon to WM and if he let’s WM go he indicts himself. This is very detrimental to the University - the longer Champ stays. Our football program is being torpedoed by bad decisions and will be in the gutter in a year or two. The next coach coming in will have a near impossible job. Now is bad enough, in two years very few will touch this job.

There is a great article by Barrett Sallee in 2015. See if you can get your hands on it.

Reactions: ken in sacramento
There aint no doubt man... we somehow win 7 games next year, sit back and wait for it. Hell, I'd be worried at 6-6.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT