ADVERTISEMENT

Recruit Reactions: Gamecocks down Gators (Monday afternoon update)

W

Wes Mitchell

Chris Clark and I will post any of the recruit reactions from the game that we pick up today right here in this thread. This top post will be edited with new information each time.

Monday Afternoon update

** As I mentioned below, Kennesaw (Ga.) North Cobb class of 2023 running back Benjamin Hall made it in on the visit with his family and landed an offer from the Gamecocks in the process.

The recruiting process has gotten off to a slow start for Hall and the Gamecocks are way ahead of the curve on this one becoming his first offer over the weekend, something Hall called a blessing.

"It was awesome, man, it was awesome," Hall said. "I didn't know going into it that I was going to be offered. We just went to have a good time, first visit I've ever been on, and the running backs coach came over, Coach Hardesty, and me and him have built a real good relationship over the phone, just talking setting up this little visit, and he told me Coach Beamer wanted to meet with me and my family. Coach Beamer brought us into his office, named off many of the greats that have been to South Carolina, and then offered me the full scholarship to his school."

Hall actually ended up taking a two-day visit to the school, taking in the game on Saturday and then staying overnight to take a facilities tour and do a photoshoot on Sunday.

He and his family are taking it all in at this point as it's obviously early and the recruiting process is just getting going, but the Gamecocks certainly appear to have helped themselves with the first scholarship.

** A couple of quick reactions from a couple of South Carolina commits:

Jackson (Ga.) three-star DL Felix Hixon: "I liked how everyone believed in each other and fought hard on both sides of the ball and upset Florida."

Griffin (Ga.) three-star EDGE Donavan Westmoreland: Sad to say I didn’t get to make it yesterday. My ride canceled on me and I had to watch on TV, but they came out with great energy and they balled out. I loved it!"

** Rivals.com's Adam Gorney also caught up with a couple of prospects who were in for the game:

Four-star defensive end Monteque Rhames is not sure about front-runners yet in his recruitment but he loved the energy at South Carolina’s win over Florida last night and the Gamecocks have definitely made a huge impression.

“I loved what I saw last night,” Rhames said, as South Carolina could hold an edge in his recruitment now.

Tray Tolliver

The 2023 wide receiver from Lake City (Fla.) Columbia tore his ACL but the South Carolina staff still showed “real love” and made sure Tolliver knew he was still wanted in that recruiting class.

The game atmosphere and the fans stood out and Tolliver said, “I can see myself in Willy B making plays.”

Sunday 4:30 p.m. update

** I (Chris) spoke with Demetrius Watson, the DT from Fort Dorchester. As you all know, the Gamecocks have been in a very favorable position here for some time. The bigger question as of late here has been timing.

Watson was back on campus last night and spent plenty of time talking with defensive line coach Jimmy Lindsey, a coach that Watson says is like an uncle or another father figure to him. Watson loved the game atmosphere and the way the Gamecocks' defensive line played.

I mentioned that timing has been a question here, but that may get cleared up quite soon. Based on conversations last night, this one could get wrapped up sooner than later.

4:00 p.m. update

** While we don't have a reaction yet from Alabaster (Ala.) Thompson four-star DB TreQuon Fegans, I can confirm that the Alabama commitment made it in on his visit.

Fegans was joined on the trip by his family, including his little brother class of 2025 DB Anquan Fegans, who also has an offer from South Carolina, which he landed when he visited during TreQuon's official visit this summer.

Coming into the visit, there wasn't much belief that the holder Fegans was much of a candidate to flip from the Crimson Tide but we'll of course see if we can follow up and see if there's anything there.

** Kennesaw (Ga.) North Cobb class of 2023 running back Benjamin Hall made it to South Carolina as expected last night and added an offer from the Gamecocks prior to the game.

South Carlina liked what they saw on film from the 5-foot-11, 230-pounder and pretty much already had him on the board as a strong offer candidate prior to the visit, they just wanted to see him and meet him in person before making it official, which they did.

** Florence (S.C.) South Florence class of 2023 three-star QB LaNorris Sellers, a UVA commit, made it in for the game and said that he loved the atmosphere both in the stadium and within the program and that he enjoyed talking to Shane Beamer.

Sellers met offensive analyst Nick Coleman during the Gamecocks' 7-on-7 camp this summer and South Carolina had stayed in touch but he said the interest has started to pick up more in the last few weeks.

Sellers was impressed with how the whole team played last night and especially, as a fellow quarterback, how Jason Brown stepped up in his first start for Carolina.

Sellers continues to hear from other programs as well and said he thinks he'll be able to visit Carolina again.

The Gamecocks have told him they haven't offered me 2023 QBs and for him to stay patient.

He says he's locked into UVA right now but didn't rule out looking at other schools if new offers come in.

3:30 p.m. Update

Greenville (S.C.) 2022 QB Pro Franklin, who is a PWO candidate or late offer candidate, made it in to yet another game. He's been to several this year and has been a mainstay on campus.

As always, Franklin had a great time:

"Gamecock Nation was live last night! One thing that stands out every time I go to a USC game is...Coach Beamer isn't afraid to take risk! With that 4th and inches conversion to Juju running a touchdown putting USC on top. Things like that get the crowd pumping and the players turnt. Along with that, I'm happy for Jason Brown also, that man did some incredible things last night by keeping the plays going by climbing into or out of the pocket. Love to the defense as well and I can't wait to see what they do against Clemson in a couple weeks! Go Cocks!"

12 p.m. Update

Several prospects weighed in on their experience on social media with positive reactions.

Atlanta (Ga.) Pace four-star DL Hevin Brown-Shuler

Oxford (Ala.) four-star QB Kamari McClellan

Sumter (S.C.) four-star DE Monteque Rhames

11:00 a.m. Update

** South Carolina's win over Florida with four-star DB commitment Emory Floyd in attendance couldn't have come at a much better time for the Gamecocks with the talented DB who has previously said he was going to make multiple visits to Florida.

That has certainly been reason for alarm from the South Carolina perspective and we had warned you all that there was a very real reason to believe Floyd could potentially flip to the Gators.

But Floyd was openly pulling for the Gamecocks on social media last night and when I caught up with him for a reaction on the game, he said that he's locked in to his South Carolina commitment.

"Oh, I'm 100 percent locked in; I ain't going nowhere," Floyd said. "I just wanted to visit some other places just for the fun of it. But I'm South Carolina strong; I'm not going nowhere."

Now, there could be a little bit of recruit-speak going on there, but still with the issues Florida is having right now and possible defensive coaching changes in their program, the Gamecocks' chances of holding onto him have certainly gone up.

To be clear, Floyd appeared to be referring to his commitment and status in the class when he said "I ain't going nowhere" and not referring specifically to other visits, but he did acknowledge that the Florida visit(s) could be off when I asked him about specifics on when he was going.

"I don't even know yet. I don't think I'm going to try to set one up yet, but it was supposed to be Florida, so I don't really know yet. It depends on how I feel, but right now, I'm just South Carolina strong, I ain't going nowhere."

This coming week and the weekend after against FSU are the two in-season dates Floyd had previously mentioned for visits there, so we'll be keeping an eye on that.

------------------

VISITORS LIST

Middletown (Del.) three-star QB Braden Davis *

Powder Springs (Ga.) Hillgrove four-star DB Emory Floyd *

Alabaster (Ala.) Thompson four-star DB TreQuon Fegans (Alabama commit)

Griffin (Ga.) three-star EDGE Donavan Westmoreland *

Lambert (Ga.) three-star OL Grayson Mains *

North Charleston (S.C.) Fort Dorchester three-star DL Demetrius Watson

Greenville (S.C.) QB Pro Franklin

Summerton (S.C.) Clarendon Hall three-star WR Kylic Horton *

Jackson (Ga.) three-star DL Felix Hixon *

Suwannee (Ga.) North Gwinnett OL Jaaymen Rochell

Camden (S.C.) TE Luke Clyburn

Denmark (Ga.) K Trey Glymph

Sumter (S.C.) four-star DE Monteque Rhames

Norcross (Ga.) four-star TE Lawson Luckie

Macon (Ga.) Tattnall Square four-star DL Zavion Hardy

Lake City (Fla.) Columbia four-star S Amare Ferrell

Lake City (Fla.) Columbia three-star LB Jaden Robinson

Florence (S.C.) South Florence three-star QB LaNorris Sellers (UVA commit)

Lake City (Fla.) Columbia WR Tray Tolliver

Kennesaw (Ga.) North Cobb RB Benjamin Hall

Gray (Ga.) Jones County WR Javious Bond

Atlanta (Ga.) Pace four-star DL Hevin Brown-Shuler

Oxford (Ala.) four-star QB Kamari McClellan

Charlotte (N.C.) Charlotte Christian WR Micah Gilbert

Gray (Ga.) Jones County four-star WR Zion Ragins

Last edited by a moderator:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards