ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting budget: We are 10th in SEC. Good enough?

It's just become the perfect excuse. It's not poor coaching that had Joyner playing RB over Anderson, we just lack funds to compete.

Again, what is this idiocy? Mario got almost 3 times as many carries a Joyner.

And where is that link to all these player prices?

Talk is cheap. Money talks. You will never get to be the bandwagon donor you might consider being if the money doesn't come in first.
I am not the donor I once was. That could change IDK. I'm actually quite proud of the donations I have made in the past. I can tell you this, it will take more than a "money talks" sales pitch to make that happen again. Call it bandwagon if you want. If I do it again, it will be because I like what I see. What I will not be doing is rewarding mediocrity.

I hope Tanner is asked about this. The answer will tell whether our university is serious about football.
We already know. Years ago, when Spurrier was here, I was driving through Columbia and listening to 107.5. Jay Phillips was speaking with Ray Tanner about our recruiting budget. We had a pretty solid class coming in and Ray was actually bragging about USC having the lowest recruiting budget in the SEC.

I knew then that Ray would be a problem.

We already know. Years ago, when Spurrier was here, I was driving through Columbia and listening to 107.5. Jay Phillips was speaking with Ray Tanner about our recruiting budget. We had a pretty solid class coming in and Ray was actually bragging about USC having the lowest recruiting budget in the SEC.

I knew then that Ray would be a problem.
Job security for him. Administration loves to brag on how he runs a tight budget. Results on the field? Who cares.

I can't think he wants to come here to sit on the bench.

So why bring him in for a year if Sellers is ready to go?

The only way we are involved is if the staff isn’t confident in Sellers. KJ isn’t going anywhere he’s not guaranteed to start.

Sellers got a lot of hype on the internet and the coaching staff played into it, but it doesn’t mean it was reality.

The only good thing about WBB is that you get to claim to be a winner, I can't imagine anyone actually enjoys the product on the court. It's just throw the ball up and get the rebound and eventually put one back in. It's an awful product the way we play.

Caitlin Clark is somewhat exciting to watch.

If 99% of Gamecock football fans were HONEST they would trade everything WBB has ever won for 1 SEC championship in football. For a football national championship, we would trade every championship in every other sport on campus. Any Gamecock football fan who says otherwise is 99% chance lying

Ive heard it before. If we just spend more money on football...
How has that worked out for us all these years? Sorry, I will not be convinced that money is the answer to our woes.... especially at the expense of our other sports.
In the modern era it is. We need to pay players and coaches now. Its no surprise the teams who spend the most on football typically win the most

The only way we are involved is if the staff isn’t confident in Sellers. KJ isn’t going anywhere he’s not guaranteed to start.

Sellers got a lot of hype on the internet and the coaching staff played into it, but it doesn’t mean it was reality.

My goodness, you salivate at any angle to disparage this staff.

The brief times Sellers was on the field this year yielded explosive results.

SEC teams very rarely start true Freshman or Sophomore QBs.

If KJ comes our way, it would likely be to capitalize on his Senior leadership and assist in Sellers continued development.

In addition -- would expect to see Sellers entering decided games earlier next season.

If 99% of Gamecock football fans were HONEST they would trade everything WBB has ever won for 1 SEC championship in football. For a football national championship, we would trade every championship in every other sport on campus. Any Gamecock football fan who says otherwise is 99% chance lying

Why do you believe Gamecock football fans aren't being honest?

Any shot to ever win an SEC championship is pretty much on ice until something changes with the NIL and portal.

Imagine if the NIL was in existence when Spurrier was making that push in recruiting the second half of his stay in Columbia?

Would we have been able to even land Lattimore and Clowney in the first place?

If so, would we have been able to retain them after they were both college football's poster kids following their freshman year?

And if we could have retained them for their entire college career, would we have also been able to hang on to all of the important supporting cast when we're paying through the nose for Lattimore and Clowney?

If KJ comes our way, it would likely be to capitalize on his Senior leadership and assist in Sellers continued development.

In addition -- would expect to see Sellers entering decided games earlier next season.

Oh, I get why Beamer wants KJ Jefferson because he's coaching for his life and knows he's better off with a 6th year senior than a red-shirt freshman.

But I would rather have a competent OC and DC than Jefferson.

I would not be surprised if Tanner has animosity towards the football program and purposely trying to screw it up. Spurrier’s 11 win football seasons over shadowed Tanner’s National Championship baseball season.
It would explain why his decisions were not just boneheaded as I originally thought, but actually malicious. It almost has to be the case. Tanner hired a football Coach (Muschamp) that the entire NATION thought was a bad idea. Florida fans were posting on Gamecock forums and other social media warning us not to hire him. Boy were they right.

Last edited:
Oh, I get why Beamer wants KJ Jefferson because he's coaching for his life and knows he's better off with a 6th year senior than a red-shirt freshman.

But I would rather have a competent OC and DC than Jefferson.

IMO, Loggains is coaching for his life and Jefferson will serve as his life raft if they can acquire him.

Last edited:
I would not be surprised if Tanner has animosity towards the football program and Spurrier’s 11 win football seasons over shadowed his National Championship baseball season.
It would explain that his decisions were not boneheaded, but malicious. It almost has to be the case.

Doubtful. Spurrier was pushing for and endorsed the Muschamp hire for some odd reason.

Ray's mistakes were the frontend contract terms and extensions.

Muschamp should have gone for a deep discount after one of the worst performances in UF history.

Ray attempted to right the ship with the $2.5mil Beamer contract for the first two years.

O
Doubtful. Spurrier was pushing for and endorsed the Muschamp hire for some odd reason.

Ray's mistakes were the frontend contract terms and extensions.

Muschamp should have gone for a deep discount after one of the worst performances in UF history.

Ray attempted to right the ship with the $2.5mil Beamer contract for the first two years.

I remember that. But when Spurrier said that, Spurrier was no longer our HC and had one foot out the door planning his move back to Florida as an ambassador for them.
I think some people associated with the university were trying to be positive about a decision that was already made.

Reactions: Ward Jr
O

I remember that. But when Spurrier said that, Spurrier was no longer our HC and had one foot out the door planning his move back to Florida as an ambassador for them.
I think some people associated with the university were trying to be positive about a decision that was already made.

To spite the mid-season rug, Spurrier still walked on water at USC and had given us our best years.

It was the safest play for Ray at the time.

Have no idea. My point is that Loggains publicly tied to the acquisition if it happens.

Yeah that's the problem. This purchase isn't about trying to get to 8 wins, it's about ensuring we can beat akron, wofford, old dominion, vanderbilt and maybe fluke into two more wins.

Won't matter if people don't start giving. My emails from the Garnet Trust say we aren't even close to getting the million dollar match. Just a small fraction of it.

Its not rare. Freshman/Sophomore SEC QBs: Connor Shaw, Tebow, Manziel, Aaron Murray, Manning, Bo Nix, lots of others who aren’t as well known.

Fact is, in this new era, if a QB isn’t starting by year 2 they’re probably quitting and begging for a portal hire

Won't matter if people don't start giving. My emails from the Garnet Trust say we aren't even close to getting the million dollar match. Just a small fraction of it.
I think South Carolina is gonna be ravaged by this era. USC fans are obviously very loyal, we sell out 85,000 for 0-4 win teams. So when we see players showing absolutely no loyalty back, and demanding we pay them to live what we all would consider the dream of a lifetime (actually playing for USC football) it’s just off putting

I think South Carolina is gonna be ravaged by this era. USC fans are obviously very loyal, we sell out 85,000 for 0-4 win teams. So when we see players showing absolutely no loyalty back, and demanding we pay them to live what we all would consider the dream of a lifetime (actually playing for USC football) it’s just off putting

Then the beatings will continue until NIL improves.

Its not rare. Freshman/Sophomore SEC QBs: Connor Shaw, Tebow, Manziel, Aaron Murray, Manning, Bo Nix, lots of others who aren’t as well known.

Fact is, in this new era, if a QB isn’t starting by year 2 they’re probably quitting and begging for a portal hire

You've just listed the names of 7 players spanning over 15 years. There was one true sophomore starting at QB in the SEC this year. I would consider 1 out of 14 rare.

Last edited:
Yeah that's the problem. This purchase isn't about trying to get to 8 wins, it's about ensuring we can beat akron, wofford, old dominion, vanderbilt and maybe fluke into two more wins.

How many wins should we have had this season in your opinion?

What's the average number of wins the team would have to achieve each year to bring you off the edge?

Yeah life would be so much better if we sucked in WBB too. Great reasoning. Hell, let's just get rid of all womens sports. That's what you are really saying right? Own it.
No, not at all. You are reading into it (my agreement with another poster) what you prefer to read into it. We spend more on women's basketball than anyone in the nation. I'm saying dial it back and add to THE sport that most care about. Do we need to spend more than anyone else in that sport? Of course not. And I suspect any survey of true Gamecock fans would agree with me. Are you clear now?

No, not at all. You are reading into it (my agreement with another poster) what you prefer to read into it. We spend more on women's basketball than anyone in the nation. I'm saying dial it back and add to THE sport that most care about. Do we need to spend more than anyone else in that sport? Of course not. And I suspect any survey of true Gamecock fans would agree with me. Are you clear now?

I don't prefer to read that into it for sure. I do appereciate you elablorating though and that is a an entirely reasonbable way to look at things. But I also guarantee you there are others in this thread who do wish ill of Dawn and company for reasons I am not going to get into and dignify. Clear for you??

But I also guarantee you there are others in this thread who do wish ill of Dawn and company for reasons I am not going to get into and dignify. Clear for you??

I think if you're going to make accusations like that, and insinuate undignifiable motives, you should just come out and say it. "Own it", as I saw one poster say.

I personally don't wish ill of her. I think money spent on wbb is just wasted, where it could be spent on meaningful sports. And I also understand that's simply my opinion, and that others disagree.

Funny you felt the need to respond. Very telling.... Thanks for playing and thanks for saying womens sports are not as important as mens. Meaningful huh?? You owned it. I give you credit.

I don't prefer to read that into it for sure. I do appereciate you elablorating though and that is a an entirely reasonbable way to look at things. But I also guarantee you there are others in this thread who do wish ill of Dawn and company for reasons I am not going to get into and dignify. Clear for you??
We are on the same page. I would say that you now know not to make assumptions based on what you THINK. You know what they say about people who "assume".

Funny you felt the need to respond. Very telling.... Thanks for playing and thanks for saying womens sports are not as important as mens. Meaningful huh?? You owned it. I give you credit.

And yet you still didn't.

I'm glad you liked my response. Sorry it couldn't have any of those undignifiable motives you were hoping for.

But I also guarantee you there are others in this thread who do wish ill of Dawn and company for reasons I am not going to get into and dignify. Clear for you??
I'll add one other thing: I believe I know what you are alluding to there. I prefer not to try to infer such attitudes. Why? Because there's no way for me to KNOW that someone thinks that way. However, I suspect that the state of our football program, maybe our disadvantage in NIL, is motivating many to suggest ways to get more money into the "money making" sport. Nothing more, nothing less. Nothing wrong with that. With talk about FBS being split into divisions, with us in a lower tier division and our rival in the upper elite division, I can understand that motivation. If we went 10-2 this season, you would not hear that.

Reactions: Lurker123
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT