ADVERTISEMENT

Remember When SC Fans Deluded Themselves Into Thinking Muschamp Was a Good Hire, While Outsiders Guffawed?

ipull4usc

Mar 17, 2003
... that'll be the reaction if SC hires Shane Beamer.

On CBS' Cover Three Podcast with Barton Simmons, Chip Patterson, and Tom Fornelli, they brought up the fact that Beamer's name has been floated. They all agreed it was "bizarre" that he would even be mentioned as a candidate, and they opined that he must have "the right friends in the media world." Finally, they agreed it would be a Muschamp-esque bad hire.

The arguments I've seen in favor of Beamer don't appear to hold water:

1. 'It's His Dream Job"... isn't SC arguably Shawn Elliott's dream job as well? Who's to say it isn't Billy Napier's dream to come back to the state? I'm willing to bet Jamey Chadwell would crawl from Conway to Columbia to coach at SC.

2. "He's been around winners"- Plenty of other candidates have been around winners as well: Billy Napier has a national championship ring as a coach, Steve Sarkisian is working for the Bama dynasty for the second time, etc. We also heard the last coach we hired was "around winners"... and we just fired him 5 days ago.

3. "He'd build a great staff"... I've heard this vague line thrown out like it has some merit. What is this assertion based on? Who would be on the staff? The only names I've seen mentioned are two guys who are already on the staff: Bobo & Shaw. Does that, by itself, constitute a "great staff?" And is there reason to believe Beamer is the only candidate who would consider retaining those guys? Five years ago, SC fans were similarly asked to believe that Muschamp would build a great staff, and look what happened. Let's not forget - Beamer has never even been in a position to hire his own staff.

4. "He's got great experience" ... compared to whom? Every other candidate I'm aware of has Head Coaching and/or offensive/defensive coordinating experience. Beamer is a long-time position coach. Tight Ends coach to boot, which, let's be honest, isn't exactly the premiere position on the staff. He's only the third highest paid offensive coach on the Oklahoma staff.

5. "He brought in great recruits at SC"- true, a decade ago and it happened to coincide with the greatest run of in-state talent in the state's history. According to another's site's recruiting profile, it doesn't appear he's heavily mined the state for recruits since leaving SC. In fact, they only had one commit from SC on his recruiting profile post-SC, and it looks like he was the secondary recruiter for that kid (I say this with the caveat that I am having to assume this other site's list of commits is accurate). Additionally, there are other candidates that can recruit too... look at Billy Napier, who is considered a great recruiter and evaluator. Back when he was at Clemson, Sporting News referred to Napier as perhaps the "best young recruiter in the business."

6. "Some former players and people involved in the program want Beamer"... that's understandable, given that he's their friend and/or former coach. We also just heard from multiple former players that think Muschamp shouldn't have been fired. These guys are incredibly loyal to "their guys." Each year during the coaching carousel we hear of some school where former players are pushing for a hire (often another former player or under-qualified coach) that generally makes impartial observers say "What the heck are they thinking?"

In my opinion, many SC fans have jumped on the Beamer bandwagon in a desperate attempt to replicate what Clemson achieved with Dabo... an under-qualified, risky hire that struck gold. I understand the desperation, but Dabo is widely known as one of the biggest outlier hires in college football history. Dabo's success also largely comes from an unprecedented and unique ability to both hire and retain excellent assistant coaches, and I'm skeptical of any coaches' ability to replicate the same.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News