ADVERTISEMENT

"Should the SEC push to expland the playoff field?" (link)

Didn't tell me I already knew the toothpaste is out of the tube. I don't think folks yet realize that it ends with all but a few teams playing their last game Thanksgiving weekend.

Reactions: CaliCock
16 team playoff with each conference champ (11 total) getting a bid, plus 5 at-large. Home field advantage up until the semis, then hosted by former BCS sites. Most exciting and profitable way to run a CFB playoff.

there is too many games as it is. Screw this playoff crap. Got back to BCS.

I'll have what you're smoking...NOT!

Screw the BCS and the conference charity/equality/avoid lawsuit system. Every major sport has a play-off of some type...NCAA football needs one too.

But 4 is not enough, and as someone already said 16 is too many. It should have started with 8...conference champs from the SEC, ACC, B1G, and the Pac plus 4 at large. If the Big 12 wants an auto they need to expand and play a championship game so they're conference champ doesn't get a free bye...then have 3 at large.

Sports writers polls, coaches polls and super-duper computer computer formulated polls or any type of voting system sucks. Nothing is better than settling it on the field.

4 is better than what we've ever had, 8 would be even better.

I'll have what you're smoking...NOT!

Screw the BCS and the conference charity/equality/avoid lawsuit system. Every major sport has a play-off of some type...NCAA football needs one too.

But 4 is not enough, and as someone already said 16 is too many. It should have started with 8...conference champs from the SEC, ACC, B1G, and the Pac plus 4 at large. If the Big 12 wants an auto they need to expand and play a championship game so they're conference champ doesn't get a free bye...then have 3 at large.

Sports writers polls, coaches polls and super-duper computer computer formulated polls or any type of voting system sucks. Nothing is better than settling it on the field.

4 is better than what we've ever had, 8 would be even better.
College Football is better than any other sport which is why it shouldn't be trying to copy to other sports. It should stay unique. Focus should remain on the regular season. That is why CFB is the best. If you lost you can't expect to still be in a national championship hunt. That is how it should be.

College Football is better than any other sport which is why it shouldn't be trying to copy to other sports. It should stay unique. Focus should remain on the regular season. That is why CFB is the best. If you lost you can't expect to still be in a national championship hunt. That is how it should be.
errrrr....except almost every year there was one team with one loss in the BCS championship game and a whole host of other one loss teams that didn't get in.
heck, one year a team that didnt even win its own conference made it in and won the national championship.

making a playoff that only allows a very select number of teams (ie, 8) doesn't devalue the regular season at all. every game still matters

The only reason for that is because the regular season is so short. You only get to watch your team play 12 times a year (not counting bowl games). The reason other sports aren't as good is because they play 30/40+ games, so every individual games doesn't matter like it does in football.

Even with expanded playoffs, all the games would still matter just as much, especially if you had automatic bids.

I. TOLD. YOU. SO.

lol, we've only had a playoff for a year and the cry has already gone out to expand it, JUST LIKE I SAID IT WOULD. You lemmings got what the four-letter network convinced you you wanted, now get ready. The slippery slope ends with 32 teams...if we're lucky

http://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/sec-football/consider-push-expand-playoff-field/

"got what the four-letter network convinced you you wanted"

Um...I wanted a playoff with 8 or more teams for a LOT longer than ESPN has pushed it. So I got a playoff...and hopefully will get an expanded playoff. But ESPN had nothing to do with me wanting it.

Shoot, ever watch that Sports Reporters show? A bunch of northeast corridor elite, pro sports oriented guys pumping (and still pumping) the playoff for years. They pretty much represent the thought of everyone who works there. Maybe they don't influence everyone but they do influence a lot. By osmosis if nothing else.

College football has the best regular season, best traditions, best rivalries, etc. And yet, according to some, the one sport most in needing of "fixing". I will never, ever get that.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT