ADVERTISEMENT

Silence breeds fear

FCB 2013 treble

Dec 14, 2016
United Airlines 777 takes off from Maui heading back to the Continental United States and roughly one minute after takeoff the 777 drops 1425 feet and came within 775 feet crashing into water before pilots was able to correct aircraft and continue the ascend. Passangers stated that aircraft had an unusual climb then all of sudden did a nose dive. I think that the plane stalled because of the steep climb, however, United Airlines and the FAA does acknowledge the incident, but will not say what caused the plane to drop.

Is there all of sudden a problem with the 777 like the problems with 737 Max eight that caused two planes to crash after takeoff?

United Airlines 777 takes off from Maui heading back to the Continental United States and roughly one minute after takeoff the 777 drops 1425 feet and came within 775 feet crashing into water before pilots was able to correct aircraft and continue the ascend. Passangers stated that aircraft had an unusual climb then all of sudden did a nose dive. I think that the plane stalled because of the steep climb, however, United Airlines and the FAA does acknowledge the incident, but will not say what caused the plane to drop.

Is there all of sudden a problem with the 777 like the problems with 737 Max eight that caused two planes to crash after takeoff?
Might have hit a thermal that they were not expecting. It happens.

Reactions: FCB 2013 treble
It's definitely something to investigate (and I'll be curious to hear what happened), but I don't feel like there is silence (just not much to broadcast). There were no injuries and the plane kept on its flight plan normally across the Pacific and landed in San Francisco (early even).

It does sound eerily like those flights that went down, but United did say that the pilots underwent some instruction after the incident - so maybe it was pilot error.

And guess who his flying on 777 tomorrow out of Cabo.

Like I wasn’t concerned before…..

There was bad weather in the area at take-off time (as noted in NOTAMS) so perhaps they were hit with a microburst.

I saw a report that said the airlines are having a hard time finding enough pilots, so they have reduced the standards so more people would qualify. One of the former pilots was saying they are now taking high school graduates into the training program. Also, many of these prospective pilots do so poorly even in the relaxed standards training that they have to repeat the training program.

I saw a report that said the airlines are having a hard time finding enough pilots, so they have reduced the standards so more people would qualify. One of the former pilots was saying they are now taking high school graduates into the training program. Also, many of these prospective pilots do so poorly even in the relaxed standards training that they have to repeat the training program.

Ok, we need to lock this thread. Ignorance is bliss - and I have about five trips planned in the next three months.

Reactions: blsinsc
And guess who his flying on 777 tomorrow out of Cabo.

Like I wasn’t concerned before…..
Should not worry about 777.

I was a passenger with the 777 on flights listed below with no incidents beside turbulence
From Norfolk to Kyrgyzstan (refueled in Ireland)
From Kyrgyzstan to Baltimore (refueled in Ireland)
From Norfolk to Qatar with stops in Germany and Kuwait
From Qatar to Washington DC with stop in UAE
Many times back and forth between Tokyo and Honolulu.

The three deadly incident that I am aware of has nothing to do with mechanical issues

MH 370 in which someone hijacked that plane when it took off

MH 17 with Russian rebel scum shooting down the plane over Ukraine.

Asiana flight 214 with a training pilot landing the plane in San Francisco that had a series of errors that caused plane not able to maintain the flight glide path and the tail hit runway.

You may encounter some turbulence, but I you will have a safe flight

There was bad weather in the area at take-off time (as noted in NOTAMS) so perhaps they were hit with a microburst.
Could be. On the very same day Hawaiian Airlines flight from Phoenix to Honolulu had severe turbulence 30 minutes before landing causing 36 injuries and 20 taken to emergency room.

I still think United or the FAA should say what caused the plane to drop

This gives me reason to do background checks on the pilots when I have to fly

Should not worry about 777.

I was a passenger with the 777 on flights listed below with no incidents beside turbulence
From Norfolk to Kyrgyzstan (refueled in Ireland)
From Kyrgyzstan to Baltimore (refueled in Ireland)
From Norfolk to Qatar with stops in Germany and Kuwait
From Qatar to Washington DC with stop in UAE
Many times back and forth between Tokyo and Honolulu.

The three deadly incident that I am aware of has nothing to do with mechanical issues

MH 370 in which someone hijacked that plane when it took off

MH 17 with Russian rebel scum shooting down the plane over Ukraine.

Asiana flight 214 with a training pilot landing the plane in San Francisco that had a series of errors that caused plane not able to maintain the flight glide path and the tail hit runway.

You may encounter some turbulence, but I you will have a safe flight
Do you still come through Norfolk?

Flew to NY a few months ago on an Airbus. The pilot was standing beside the stewardess greeting passengers. He looked to be about 18 years old. We got there with no trouble. I thought about him the whole way there - looked like a high school kid.

The older I get, the more I hate flying.
Flying is a hassle. Airports are a hassle. It seems that many of them have construction going on that greatly complicates getting around. Charlotte Douglas is a prime example of that on the departure level, or at least it was the last time I flew out of there. You can't get near the doors at check-in while that renovation is going on. You have to get out way up the curb and take the long walk to even get inside the terminal.

Vegas is terrible also in terms of getting to your shuttle bus for the trip to the rental car facility (off the airport for all rental car companies). It's a long walk to the buses and then you'll probably have to wait to get on one. Bad setup.

Flew to NY a few months ago on an Airbus. The pilot was standing beside the stewardess greeting passengers. He looked to be about 18 years old. We got there with no trouble. I thought about him the whole way there - looked like a high school kid.
On my trips to Hawaii, the most senior flight crews I ever see are staffing those flights. Gray-headed is what I mean.

Reactions: FORKCOCK
Flying is a hassle. Airports are a hassle. It seems that many of them have construction going on that greatly complicates getting around. Charlotte Douglas is a prime example of that on the departure level, or at least it was the last time I flew out of there. You can't get near the doors at check-in while that renovation is going on. You have to get out way up the curb and take the long walk to even get inside the terminal.

Vegas is terrible also in terms of getting to your shuttle bus for the trip to the rental car facility (off the airport for all rental car companies). It's a long walk to the buses and then you'll probably have to wait to get on one. Bad setup.
Yep. I travel alot for business. I prefer going through Atlanta rather than Charlotte. I do like the rocking chairs in Charlotte though. Can't stand taking busses to the rental car lot.

When I was a kid, people got dressed up to get on a plane. Now days, people dress like they're going to wash their car.

On my trips to Hawaii, the most senior flight crews I ever see are staffing those flights. Gray-headed is what I mean.

I recently took a few trips to California.

The only pilot I observed was a gray headed man who looked to be around 60. In good shape, etc but for sure an experienced guy.

But I have to say, flying out to California to John Wayne Aiport and back through Dallas to Columbia once and Atlanta once - I had no issues. Had tight connections and everything went smooth. (The 1st leg from Columbia to Dallas flight on the Airbus was smooth and a great flight. Plane was only about 3/4 full. Very easy out of Columbia.

The last time I flew to Milwaukee the pilot stood at the door greeting us as we stepped off. I am sure he wasn't but he appeared to be about 5'4" and around 60. Super friendly guy, saying goodbye to everyone that got off the flight. I thought he was going to hug some folks he was so friendly. LOL

Walking through the airport, I sometimes see what I think are kids in pilot uniforms. Those are usually the smaller regional jets.

Last edited:

Phoenix baggage claim is an absolute disaster. My pet peeve though: I’ve been a Delta Crown Room (now called SkyClub) member for the past 50 years and until the past 5 years, the club was exclusive to those willing to pay the annual membership fee. Nowadays, numerous credit cards contain access to the clubs either free or for a nominal fee. As such, the clubs are always packed — many with large families of multiple children that run around the clubs while shrieking all the while. Back in the day, I could work while relaxing in the club with a drink or two that were free, but now the traveling drunks realize they can slam down drink after drink for free. They roll out of the club absolutely hammered and many get on the same plane as me and continue drinking (but at least they have to pay for those). It’s gotten to the point where I just go to an empty gate and just sit quietly during layovers. The SkyClub is no longer a place to relax. I’m sure it’s the same for all of the other airline lounges that allow daily fee-based credit card access for multitudes of travelers. If I sound like a snob traveler, you are correct — I only fly first class, Business class, or Delta One. But of course, I pay a huge premium to do so.

Last edited:
Phoenix baggage claim is an absolute disaster. My pet peeve though: I’ve been a Delta Crown Room (now called SkyClub) member for the past 50 years and until the past 5 years, the club was exclusive to those willing to pay the annual membership fee. Nowadays, numerous credit cards contain access to the clubs either free or for a nominal fee. As such, the clubs are always packed — many with large families of multiple children that run around the clubs while shrieking all the while. Back in the day, I could work while relaxing in the club with a drink or two that were free, but now the traveling drunks realize they can slam down drink after drink for free. They roll out of the club absolutely hammered and many get on the same plane as me and continue drinking (but at least they have to pay for those). It’s gotten to the point where I just go to an empty gate and just sit quietly during layovers. The SkyClub is no longer a place to relax. I’m sure it’s the same for all of the other airline lounges that allow daily fee-based credit card access for multitudes of travelers. If I sound like a snob traveler, you are correct — I only fly first class, Business class, or Delta One. But of course, I pay a huge premium to do so.
For years I couldn't get in without paying the annual fee. Now I have a card that gets me in free, but I have yet to take advantage of it... from what you described I guess I'll continue not using that perk.

It's annoying to see perks that were once the exclusive domain of the refined traveler being abused by the Cretans. I feel ya, Man.

Last edited:
Yep. I travel alot for business. I prefer going through Atlanta rather than Charlotte. I do like the rocking chairs in Charlotte though. Can't stand taking busses to the rental car lot.

When I was a kid, people got dressed up to get on a plane. Now days, people dress like they're going to wash their car.
And look like they already washed it.

Reactions: FORKCOCK
The older I get, the more I hate flying.
Being up in the air doesn't bother me, but it's the whole experience has become wearisome.

Leaving from Atl/Hartsfield you have to be at the airport between 1 1/2 - 2 hours before takeoff. Which means I have to leave my house 1 1/2 hours before that, drive, park, park shuttle.. That is about 3 1/2 hours before my plane ever leaves the ground.
The indignities going throw the TSA lines, (Yes, I have TSA PreCheck, but still)
I've totally abandoned flying in main cabin, cramped seats, complete lack of civility when using overhead bins, and the pitiful snacks on board.

Being up in the air doesn't bother me, but it's the whole experience has become wearisome.

Leaving from Atl/Hartsfield you have to be at the airport between 1 1/2 - 2 hours before takeoff. Which means I have to leave my house 1 1/2 hours before that, drive, park, park shuttle.. That is about 3 1/2 hours before my plane ever leaves the ground.
The indignities going throw the TSA lines, (Yes, I have TSA PreCheck, but still)
I've totally abandoned flying in main cabin, cramped seats, complete lack of civility when using overhead bins, and the pitiful snacks on board.
I started flying commercial in 1970. It was luxurious compared to now. It is plain spartan now - at least in coach. You're better off on a city bus at rush hour.

I’ve always tried to use Park and Fly services when I lived in Los Angeles and Atlanta. Although I paid a premium for it I would always return to a completely washed car (inside and out). But the shuttles themselves were often overcrowded— I can’t count how many times my knees and feet were injured by oversized luggage being dragged on the shuttle buses.

We fly out of CLT all the time and like it. You just have to be smart. Don't haul your luggage on and off the shuttle busses. I drop my wife and our luggage at departure. Park the car in long term. Take shuttle back to airport. In December I watched a lady lugging her luggage up a non functioning escalator. Crazy.

Surprised anyone is complaining about Charlotte. IMO, that's one of the best heavy-traffic airports in the country. In comparison, SFO, LaGuardia and Miami Intl are consistent nightmares.

Although they aren't what they used to be, commercial airlines still remain significantly safer than traveling by car or train.

Yes, and do they ever make you pay the price.

Miami is awful. Real awful is Port of Spain. And get your luggage quick or they’ll steal it off the rack.

Surprised anyone is complaining about Charlotte. IMO, that's one of the best heavy-traffic airports in the country. In comparison, SFO, LaGuardia and Miami Intl are consistent nightmares.

Although they aren't what they used to be, commercial airlines still remain significantly safer than traveling by car or train.
They don't have as many flights as ATL. I've gotten stuck in CLT a few times because I missed my connection.

I completely agree, it used to be that way, now, people think anything is appropriate

They don't have as many flights as ATL. I've gotten stuck in CLT a few times because I missed my connection.
I never make a reservation that connects through O’Hare — too many missed connections or cancelled flights.

When I was in AF, flew several times and had no fear. Now I would be terrified. Your life is in the hands of someone who may have spent the previous evening in a bar getting drunk.
Once flew into Chicago with next flight leaving in 30 minutes, ran all the way.😊

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT