ADVERTISEMENT

So Clem's 5* rb visited UT and loved it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toneski M

Jun 19, 2005
Does anyone understand Dabo's "rule" about not visiting other schools once committed? Does it only apply to non-5* guys? IIRC, Nkemdiche strung Dabo along for awhile when he was committed to Clem and kept going to visit Ole Miss.

Feaster goes to UT and loves it, tweeted about how great it was (which he's since removed). As I understand Dabo's rule, once a kid commits he can't go visit another school.....if he does then his scholarship is considered available again for someone else.

I guess a kid like Feaster visits another school and then Dabo calls and the kid says "I'm still committed" and Dabo says "OK, don't visit anymore schools". But then a 5* like Feaster can go visit another school and get home, Dabo calls and the kid says "I'm still committed to Clem", and Dabo says "Okey dokey, please don't visit anymore schools".

Is this how his rule works? Seriously, I don't understand the rule.

Here is some of what Feaster had to say about his UT visit:

Feaster said he would “most definitely” be back in Knoxville this fall for an official visit, and he said the Vols have essentially put themselves on Clemson’s level.

“I mean, Georgia’s in the mix a little bit, but most definitely Tennessee and Clemson are my top two schools right now,” he said. “I mean, the conference is different, but there’s really not too much different between ‘em. They’re both my top schools right now, definitely. The coaching staffs, they’re very similar, and I believe this coaching staff [at Tennessee] is more … you know, they don’t really sugarcoat things. They’re very straightforward.

“They’re good guys. I really love ‘em.”

Does anyone understand Dabo's "rule" about not visiting other schools once committed? Does it only apply to non-5* guys? IIRC, Nkemdiche strung Dabo along for awhile when he was committed to Clem and kept going to visit Ole Miss.

Feaster goes to UT and loves it, tweeted about how great it was (which he's since removed). As I understand Dabo's rule, once a kid commits he can't go visit another school.....if he does then his scholarship is considered available again for someone else.

I guess a kid like Feaster visits another school and then Dabo calls and the kid says "I'm still committed" and Dabo says "OK, don't visit anymore schools". But then a 5* like Feaster can go visit another school and get home, Dabo calls and the kid says "I'm still committed to Clem", and Dabo says "Okey dokey, please don't visit anymore schools".

Feaster said he would “most definitely” be back in Knoxville this fall for an official visit, and he said the Vols have essentially put themselves on Clemson’s level.

“I mean, Georgia’s in the mix a little bit, but most definitely Tennessee and Clemson are my top two schools right now,” he said. “I mean, the conference is different, but there’s really not too much different between ‘em. They’re both my top schools right now, definitely. The coaching staffs, they’re very similar, and I believe this coaching staff [at Tennessee] is more … you know, they don’t really sugarcoat things. They’re very straightforward.

LOL! If he REALLY appreciates non-sugarcoating, he needs to travel 90 miles down I-26 and talk to a coach by the name of Steven Orr Spurrier! Now, wouldn't THAT cause a stir in Dung Valley? LOL - again!

Feaster WILL NOT be playing in Dung Valley for his college career.

I don't know what other schools the kid has actually visited, but based on how reacted to UT's treatment when he was there, I get the impression Clem has tried to keep him under wraps since he was a sophomore in HS. If the kid does take some OV's this fall it will get interesting. From what I've heard about the UT staff's recruiting, they are relentless....they're not going to quit on this kid.

I still don't understand the Dabo's rule.

I am going to try and give you an opinion on this, but anticipate that it will be hammered pretty hard. Here is the real question , does Dabo have a rule about a committed athlete taking other visits? I would argue that he does have that rule , and applies it when it is needed to protect a recruiting class.

Thoughts
  • Dabo believes that each recruit brings a certain value to a class, and that all recruits are NOT of equal value to the class.
  • Dabo has a specific set of needs to fill for any given class based on team depth position etc.
  • There are many more 3 and low 4 star type kids than there are high 4's and 5's
  • Here is an example of where the rule applies - Example , you need a WR , and there is not a premier guy that you have a chance with Sammy Watkins etc) and you are in on 4 other kids that are pretty much of equal "value" on your board. You have to pick one to give that offer to.( Or, you can just offer them all like some other schools do, then piss off all but one of the guys when you can't take them.)
  • Why would you tell a recruit that you didn't want them to take any visits after they commit? because if there are 4 equal choices, you want the guy that is All IN.
  • If you have a shot at CJ Spiller Deshaun Watson Sammy Watkins....you are going to roll the dice and keep a slot.
  • It makes perfect sense to me, but then I am a poor dirt farmer from the upstate :)

I am going to try and give you an opinion on this, but anticipate that it will be hammered pretty hard. Here is the real question , does Dabo have a rule about a committed athlete taking other visits? I would argue that he does have that rule , and applies it when it is needed to protect a recruiting class.

Thoughts
  • Dabo believes that each recruit brings a certain value to a class, and that all recruits are NOT of equal value to the class.
  • Dabo has a specific set of needs to fill for any given class based on team depth position etc.
  • There are many more 3 and low 4 star type kids than there are high 4's and 5's
  • Here is an example of where the rule applies - Example , you need a WR , and there is not a premier guy that you have a chance with Sammy Watkins etc) and you are in on 4 other kids that are pretty much of equal "value" on your board. You have to pick one to give that offer to.( Or, you can just offer them all like some other schools do, then piss off all but one of the guys when you can't take them.)
  • Why would you tell a recruit that you didn't want them to take any visits after they commit? because if there are 4 equal choices, you want the guy that is All IN.
  • If you have a shot at CJ Spiller Deshaun Watson Sammy Watkins....you are going to roll the dice and keep a slot.
  • It makes perfect sense to me, but then I am a poor dirt farmer from the upstate :)
All of this makes perfect sense to me as well. It seems to work pretty well for Coach Swinney also.
I guess it's OK if it perplexes some of our opponents fans.

Dabo treats their program like it's a business, and it's working for them. He has different rules for different levels of talent much like a business treats their bigger customers and lets them get away with more requests that don't fit their "usual" guidelines.

The easiest thing to do is refrain from committing.

Kitchen, that is exactly correct, but that is a two edged sword. If there are multiple guys , that are considered "equal" on the board , and you as one of them want to go to Clemson , but you want to take other visits:
  • Dabo says good for you don't commit to us yet, we sure would like to have you but not unless you are all in , we will keep after ya as long as we have spots to fill at your position and at your talent level.
  • Dabo also has offers to three other guys with the same talent and the same offer'\
  • One of those guys says , coach I am all in and I am not taking any more visiys , i want to commit I am ALL IN.
  • THen Kitchen comes back and says, Coach I had a great trip to USC , FSU OLE MISS and etc...but I am ready to Commit to be ALL IN to the tigers.
  • Dabo , replies to Kitchen . Man, do we wish you the best . While you were looking , we were looking too. We have commitments at the position you want a nd we don't have a scholly for ya...
Commitment is a 2-way street, and yes if you are a 5 Star you get to play the field more, and the guys that want you will keep sending the flowers.

Reactions: Shevlin77
Esso while I know that you are a TaterTot, some of your bullet statements make sense and could be applied to many of schools. However, it has been shown over the past three or four years that Dabo also uses a scare tactic on several recruits and pulls only from guys that are not 4*/5*. I think a lot of this also backfired with the 5* kid who went to Miss. I have to give Dilbo credit, he has done a great job or recruiting, I just wonder how long until recruits get tired of some of the recruiting antics... only time will tell.

I sure he will end up at clemson. But he is just telling everybody what they want to hear.

Thoughts
Esso, sincerely thanks for the explanation, and what you've said makes sense. I think any coach has to treat the elite players differently and keep a scholly available for them and Dabo also has to keep a scholly available for the elite players if they still want to commit after taking other visits.

But the difference is most coaches don't have such a rule that they use against recruits, I assume because most coaches realize there is no way to effectively apply the rule equally with all kids, as you've just described. At least now I know why I don't understand Dabo's rule, because it's a rule in name only apparently.

If I were a recruit and that rule was applied to me but not someone like Feaster can't say that wouldn't bother me. So this player can take visits but I can't ?

Reactions: brucemarsh
Since its not a rule, it would not bother you at all. Do not lie to the coaching staff and you will be fine.

Yes it would. Different set of rules for different players. Wouldn't play for a coach who did that. Don't say he doesn't do it because we all know he does

Since its not a rule, it would not bother you at all. Do not lie to the coaching staff and you will be fine.
So why does dumbo let commitments to other schools visit clemsux? dumbo's encouraging the recruits to lie to the other schools, right? Haha. Cant have it both ways.

Can't have it both ways.

LOL!! Dude, now there you are talking to a fine counselor of law that's a sCUm grad whom then attended The University of South Carolina School of Law!!

Sarcastic irony here now, ironic sarcasm!!

Last edited:
Oh, here silly me was thinking it was all about landing a few $4$ and $5$ stars early that wouldn't take any other visit and declaring "all in", and having them set an example to all the other 0$lower0$ 0$star0$ players so Dat-Bo could push them into committing early by telling them they better jump on board fast because the class is filling up so fast and there were players from all around the world lining up to play at Clempzin. And then when a 0$lower0$ 0$ranked0$ player decide he wanted to visit another school he not only caught hell from the staff but from the $4$ and $5$ star players that were leading the "all in" class.
Guess I was wrong...

...but I doubt it.

Legal, I assume since you're a lawyer you have a strict meaning for the word "rule", and it's different than what the rest of us and more importantly the recruits understand as a rule Dabo has about commitments taking other visits.

I know you don't want me to waste my time linking the hundreds of references on Clem boards and In Clem articles about Dabo's rule regarding commits taking other visits. The rule is well known and has been referenced hundreds of times by fans on message boards and articles written on fan sites. If you've got info that Dabo has no such rule it would be news to thousands of Clem fans.

Very similar to the Tater rule about Zero Tolerance. This only applies to less important, role playing athletes. Important ones can beat on their girlfriends or push them down stairs. Gotta have different rules for different players, depending on their importance. Makes perfect sense.

Reactions: SliderUSC
Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT