ADVERTISEMENT

***Some OL recruiting notes (Madden, Derouen, Helms, Buchanan)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris Clark

Football/Recruiting Insider
Jan 3, 2005
First, to address the Sam Madden situation...

USC assistant coach G.A. Mangus is set to conduct an in-home visit later today with Madden and his father and the expectation is that things will be cleared up in terms of his visit to date to USC. I want to reiterate that the ball was not dropped by USC on this situation; some have that impression that USC had not pushed because of some quotes by Madden's father. To clarify, at that time, the visit to USC had already been agreed upon as being this weekend. USC has had an offer out to Madden since early in the process whereas UGA had not offered or become involved until just in the past couple days. USC also called very early after Madden parted ways with Wisconsin to reiterate interest. USC is also making an in-home today and UGA has not to date. I just wanted to clear that up - this wasn't a case where USC didn't get back to the Madden camp on making a trip at all. Anyways, all of that should be discussed today.

Whether it's this weekend or next weekend (and either one would be fine with USC), the expectation is that Madden will make a trip to South Carolina on one of those dates. A mid-week trip to Arizona State may also happen next week. We'll update everyone with what we hear following USC's in-home.

***THURSDAY UPDATE: Since this posting, it's been set that Madden will visit UGA this weekend and USC next weekend.

Georgia OL Trey Derouen is still set to make an official visit this weekend. I think USC is in good position as of now, but the key will be whether or not Derouen leaves campus committed or uncommitted. If he leaves uncommitted and takes the official visit to Florida the final weekend before signing day, that could throw a wrench into things.

Wes posted an update on Wake Forest transfer Cory Helms following his in-home with Mangus last week. Helms has visited Mississippi State and Texas A&M and heads to USC this weekend for an official. This is a key weekend for him as well, and we think USC has a good shot to pull him. Mangus will likely see him again later this week in advance of his visit.

Hypothetically, if USC could land Madden, Derouen, and Helms, that would give the Gamecocks six OL in this class. That was the number USC targeted to potentially take anyways in 2015. It's too early of course to project USC landing all, but the Gamecocks are certainly strongly in it with all of them.

Current Cal commitment Nick Buchanan told me yesterday he didn't know yet on any more official visits but he's told others he is going to UGA this weekend. UGA figures to stand a solid shot at flipping him.

This post was edited on 1/22 10:30 AM by Chris Clark

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News