ADVERTISEMENT

Someone please explain how Beamer was an upgrade over Muschamp?

That could well coincide with Beamer having a "make or break" season in 2025, his 5th season. I suspect that a terrible 4th season (2024) won't move the needle.

As I said to Watson, I'm not so sure of that. This year was a failure. But people are emotionally invested in the coach. They feel they need to back up any previous opinions of how awesome he was.

But IF we see a second losing season, I think even some of the die hands will start wondering if they're really happy with returns.

But as I've said before, the AD won't move till after 25 unless 24 absolutley melts down, imo. So in reading your post again, I agree if you're talking about Ray.

Agreed, sorry of. I'm not too surprised at a lot of fans settling for this year. It's a single data point now.

I'll wait till next year plays out. I think a lot of the people arguing that this is the new norm will get antsy IF we have two losing seasons in a row.
I can hear the "give him more time" chants already. For Muschamp that meant give him more time to bury the program and push it back 5 more years.

• Haha
Reactions: Lurker123
Agreed, sorry of. I'm not too surprised at a lot of fans settling for this year. It's a single data point now.

I'll wait till next year plays out. I think a lot of the people arguing that this is the new norm will get antsy IF we have two losing seasons in a row.

It’s just weird that Muschamp didn’t make it through two losing seasons and people are talking about Beamer making to 6-6 after two losing seasons.

That could well coincide with Beamer having a "make or break" season in 2025, his 5th season. I suspect that a terrible 4th season (2024) won't move the needle.
I've considered the same thing. Regarding Ray, I thought all along he was hanging it up when his old contract ended next year (he'll be 66). So now that he got extended two years, I'm not assuming anything come 2026. All comes down to greed. Guy doesn't need to work but will gladly milk it as long as he can.

I can hear the "give him more time" chants coming. For Muschamp that meant give him more time to bury the program and push it back 5 more years.

Context matters though.

Last season, we were 8-5 and beat teams with superior talent.

This season, we had the toughest schedule in the country.

Most all of the teams we lost were on the road and had superior talent.

We also had season-long injuries and NIL losses in terrible positions.

It’s just weird that Muschamp didn’t make it through two losing seasons and people are talking about Beamer making to 6-6 after two losing seasons.

Has NIL changed the expectations that much that fast?

Muschamp did have a losing season, and then was fired the next year when the wheels were falling off. So we haven't had that yet with Beamer.

But I will grant you the weirdness. My memory is of people not being happy with a losing season under Muschamp. It surprises me to see some so eager to put a happy face on this one.

But I will grant you the weirdness. My memory is of people not being happy with a losing season under Muschamp. It surprises me to see some so eager to put a happy face on this one.
It's probably because his first 2 seasons were better than expected.

Personally, I'm concerned about his recent personnel decisions. He needs to make changes this year. Will they be quality hires, assuming he pulls the trigger? They better be. Time will tell.

Context matters though.

Last season, we were 8-5 and beat teams with superior talent.

This season, we had the toughest schedule in the country.

Most all of the teams we lost were on the road and had superior talent.

We also had season-long injuries and NIL losses in terrible positions.
Fair enough. I know he's not going anywhere for a couple years so I will support him and the team. My point was sometimes giving a coach more time makes things worse. Muschamp had a better record up to this point than Beamer and I believe had a 9 win year in 2017 and we finished second in the east if we're picking hairs.

Reactions: Ward Jr
I'm thinking that they would want the new AD to do the hiring, if it comes to that. But, who knows for sure?

I've heard it repeated that a new AD definitely likes to make his own hire.

But can you imagine how awesome it would be for the program to basically put off a change for a year (or two) while we wait for a new AD? When a staff is a lame duck, the program suffers.

Basically, we need Ray gone SOON. We need a new AD for when tough decisions are warranted.

I've heard it repeated that a new AD definitely likes to make his own hire.

But can you imagine how awesome it would be for the program to basically put off a change for a year (or two) while we wait for a new AD? When a staff is a lame duck, the program suffers.

Basically, we need Ray gone SOON. We need a new AD for when tough decisions are warranted.

You're only 730 Days away from a potential change if Beamer underperforms in Years 4 & 5.

Muschamp did have a losing season, and then was fired the next year when the wheels were falling off. So we haven't had that yet with Beamer.

I almost wonder if it's because Muschamp had an all SEC schedule so it made the 2-8 look worse than it actually was. I wonder if the three gimmes next year will make a 1-6/2-7 in conference record seem better.

I almost wonder if it's because Muschamp had an all SEC schedule so it made the 2-8 look worse than it actually was. I wonder if the three gimmes next year will make a 1-6/2-7 in conference record seem better.

The absolute best shot you have of a coaching change and relief from your insufferable BDS is for us to win 4 games or less next season.

Losing to Ole Miss, MIssouri, A&M and LSU at WB (along with the predictable losses to Clemson and Alabama on the road), might force the AD to pull the trigger at the end of next season. That could be too many losses in front of a home crowd to bare.

The buyout would be the same in 2024 as it would in 2025 because there would be a forced one-year extension in 2024 if they decide to retain him. (recruiting)

Last edited:
Yeah zero chance Tanner gets a third shot at hiring a football coach.

He didn't get a 2nd shot. Did you not read the emails? Beamer was a collective hire.

The AD did not pony $13 million to bailout Muschamp, only to give Ray the hiring reigns again.

Ray is a good fundraiser and good person. That's why he was able to survive Muschamp mess.

Losing to Ole Miss, MIssouri, A&M and LSU at WB (along with the predictable losses to Clemson and Alabama on the road), might force the AD to pull the trigger at the end of next season. That could be too many losses in front of a home crowd to bare.

At least you're finally making a valid point on something. These home losses may do the trick.

He didn't get a 2nd shot. Did you not read the emails? Beamer was a collective hire.

The AD did not pony $13 million to bailout Muschamp, only to give Ray the hiring reigns again.

Ray is a good fundraiser and good person. That's why he was able to survive Muschamp mess.
I think he was more involved in the hiring process than some people claim. People blame the BOT but the AD presents the candidate to them and contract terms. Coach reports to the AD too. Considering it's been ten years since we had a respected program that was playing in New Year's bowl games consistently and winning double digit games, somebody up top needs to take the fall for it. He should have been fired (forced retirement)for the Muschamp hire alone. Any other program that cared about football would have. This is like the Sparky/Brad Era all over again of .500 football. May or not make a crap bowl game year in and year out. Ray is a great guy. I've met him. Great ambassador. Doesn't mean he deserves to be AD longer than any AD we've had. 11 years and counting...

Last edited:
At least you're finally making a valid point on something. These home losses may do the trick.

Instead of posting how much you dislike Beamer for yet another year among a very small group of posters, why not go on the offensive?

Below is a potential action piece (this isn't a personal zinger either.)

Your tagline: "You're Not Depressed. You're Just a Gamecock Football Fan."

Bumper Stickers, T-Shirts, etc.

You'll need to get the graphics/colors right w/o any trademark/logo infringement but that shouldn't be hard.

There's at least 10-20% of the Gamecock fanbase to appeal to and you also have the Clemson base.

Now you can try to meme Beamer out of office and make money along the way.

Last edited:
Reactions: cockofdawn
I think he was more involved in the hiring process than some people claim. People blame the BOT but the AD presents the candidate to them and contract terms. Coach reports to the AD too. Considering it's been ten years since we had a respected program that was playing in New Year's bowl games consistently and winning double digit games, somebody up top needs to take the fall for it. He should have been fired for the Muschamp hire alone. Any other program that cared about football would have.

It really depends on the opportunity cost though. If the BOT believes Ray can still pull in a certain % of funding above and beyond what any new AD might bring in, that's a big factor when you're talking about multiple years.

IMO, the BOT should have publicly announced the coaching decision was a joint effort and taken the target off of Ray's back. He should also have been given a new title.

The problem was likely ego. No AD wants a public demotion and the Board probably didn't want to do that to our 2-time National Championship coach. We don't have too many of those. :)

Reactions: sclawman77
Question: We won most first quarters against more talented teams this season -- many of those games were also on the road.

If we're coming in with less talent and outperforming teams for the first part of the game in their stadium, wouldn't that point to good game plans and good coaching?

Wouldn't the fact that we fizzle out over the course of 60 minutes to teams with layers of talent simply be a talent deficit OR is Beamer exclusively a good 1st quarter coach?

Where is the flawed logic in this argument?

Maybe. OR could point to opponents not taking us too seriously, their players NOT putting in extra reps and extra film study that week, and we catch em a little off guard….then their coaches adjust, their players wake up.

Also, as the season showed, Georgia slept thru the first half of most of their games it was just us

Muschamp was also fired during the Covid year of 10 SEC games. He didnt get the Coastal, East Carolina and Wofford games, all likely wins. He beat Auburn and Vandy. So thats 5 wins. Covid was weird. Who knows if a normal 2020 results in 6-6 and a bowl win 7-6 and Muschamp never gets fired.

Imagine if this year was Covid and we didnt get Jax St and Furman but instead got 10 SEC games. We probably go 3-8 rather than 5-7.

I keep seeing Gamecock fans saying we will beat Ole Miss and how our program is like theirs and it will be a good game. Based on what haha? They’re 10-2 Lane Kiffin has em rollin, they’re gonna smoke us in 2024

I keep seeing Gamecock fans saying we will beat Ole Miss and how our program is like theirs and it will be a good game. Based on what haha? They’re 10-2 Lane Kiffin has em rollin, they’re gonna smoke us in 2024

I've only seen one gamecock try to talk Ole miss down to our level.

They will probably smoke us.

Maybe the normal fans saying this are talking about the programs historically. But with Kiffin? They are above us.

Last edited:
Maybe. OR could point to opponents not taking us too seriously, their players NOT putting in extra reps and extra film study that week, and we catch em a little off guard….then their coaches adjust, their players wake up.

Also, as the season showed, Georgia slept thru the first half of most of their games it was just us

Almost zero chance.

You play 8 SEC games a year and each one counts in the exactly same within the conference.

Kirby Smart is neurotic about everything. Muschamp wants to beat us down each day of every year.

It was UGA's first SEC game of the season and they know we were the last to beat them in Sanford.

If they are sleeping on any of their 12 games, it would be low-level non-conference matchups.

What the flip you people looking at? 7-6 was a great job, and so was 8-5! Everyone, including a lot of the so-called professionals and sportswriters/sportscasters are talking nonsense. It’s not like he took 4/5 star talent these last two years and went 2-10, 3-9. We have just begun to stack players, so that we can be competitive with solid 2 deep roster, and eventually get to a workable 3 deep. We, unfortunately, are acting like tennesee. They have had more players than us, perpetually. They had a coach come in, and much like Shane, did more with less. They seriously were thinking ‘natty’ this year. Shane is just beginning the most important part of the process. We have to stack players for, at least, another two years. Anything more, in terms of progress, is delusional. We will win ‘big’. Even the coaches have a ‘learning curve’. We are setting ourselves for disappointment, based on our current way of assessing where we are. I encourage you to go back and look at what we had, and compare what we are getting going forward. Maybe the scales will fall away and things will appear a bit clearer.
Beamer will be fired in a couple of years then the process will start over again. The next coach will last 5 years then he will be fired. The only time this football program had a solid reason for a brighter future is when Spurrier sort of fell into our lap. Right time, right coach, and he wanted back in the SEC.

Why not wait a year and play the game first?

Ole Miss didn't have anything close to our schedule this season.

They had the favorable home games setup just like Missouri did this year and we did last year.

Also, UGA completely steamrolled them.

Beamer will be fired in a couple of years then the process will start over again. The next coach will last 5 years then he will be fired. The only time this football program had a solid reason for a brighter future is when Spurrier sort of fell into our lap. Right time, right coach, and he wanted back in the SEC.
What I'm afraid of. Then the pickings get slimmer and slimmer. 5 years and out football program. Coaching graveyard.

Reactions: uscwatson21
Giving the coach 5 years is probably the average minimum a coach is given but there are exceptions. Tennessee comes to mind.

I looked this up during another discussion about it, and the article was from 2021.

But the average career of a college coach was 4.9 years. And if you removed the 4 longest tenured (at that time) it dropped to 4.3 years.

I really think 5 years is not a "revolving door" at all.

Reactions: bayrooster
I looked this up during another discussion about it, and the article was from 2021.

But the average career of a college coach was 4.9 years. And if you removed the 4 longest tenured (at that time) it dropped to 4.3 years.

I really think 5 years is not a "revolving door" at all.

No serious program would give Beamer a fifth year if he has a losing record next year.

Just saw where MSU just hired the OC from Oklahoma as their HC. I was trying to remember what Beamer's title was there.

That's right. I had forgotten. That or I went in to brain fart mode when I heard they got an OC.

He had some title like "associate head coach" or something. But that entire staff of 10ish coaches all had special titles except for one or two.

Reactions: uscwatson21
Almost zero chance.

You play 8 SEC games a year and each one counts in the exactly same within the conference.

Kirby Smart is neurotic about everything. Muschamp wants to beat us down each day of every year.

It was UGA's first SEC game of the season and they know we were the last to beat them in Sanford.

If they are sleeping on any of their 12 games, it would be low-level non-conference matchups.

Yes but college programs have official time limits per week, bur championship programs are full of players who stay for extra reps, get plenty of sleep during big week, do hours of extra film study. Coaches can’t force that. Its why staying on top is so hard

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT