ADVERTISEMENT

South Carolina > Clemson game

DeBoer31

Gold Member
Jun 19, 2015
Football is about love. On a football team... you have to love one another, worry about playing for your brother beside you and working together as a group to achieve. I hope our guys/coaches play for each other, for their university and fans and not worry about "hating" Clemson....and things will go the right direction. With that said - I hate Clemson. I can...I'm not on the team; I'm just a fan. I despise Dabo and a lot of what he does even though I respect some (not most) of the ways he runs his program.
But, I hope our kids play for each other, and REALLY start the building incline leading into a bowl game. A Clemson win, bowl practice and a good showing in a bowl will do more for helping these coaches (and their non-star studded names) recruit than anything else. This game is hugely important for more than just the normal reasons it typically is this time of year. To h#ll with Clemson and their little, shytty paw from the 80s on midfield. Looked like 1st graders drew and colored that in. I hope our offensive coaches take a play out of the 2018 playbook (the ONE game I liked B. Mac's offensive approach) and OSUs recent approach of not letting their bank of coaches up top cheat/steal/swindle their defense into perfect calls. To h#ll with Clemson....Go Cocks.

Reactions: Ratheolcoach
If there's two things we know about this team it's that they love each other and they keep fighting. Clemson's offense is just as lousy as us over the course of the year, worse even when you factor the strength of the defenses they went against. Their OL has hit it's stride but so has ours and I don't doubt Brown can have the better outing passing. All that said, that DL is brutal and when you top Clemson it takes an OL that can neutralize that the receivers outside to exploit their weakness with their single high play style. Clemson loves their 5 men pressures with man coverage, WRs outside of Vann have flashed but not really shown out. We need the OL win one on one without much extra help to allow the TEs and RBs to get involved in the passing game. It's tough but if this team can click and avoid the slow start is doable.

Reactions: uscnoklahoma2
And that's why you need the NCAA involved. Apply the garnishment to every school/member.
So tell me how you FORCE someone to play a game they don't want to play in? Especially in a violent sport like football.

What happens when they decide they're not going to block on a blitz and your QB gets injured? Or he doesn't run the routes he's supposed to? What happens then? How do MAKE them not only play, but play well?

The obvious answer is you can't. Fans need to get over their hurt feelings and just deal with the fact that many sure-fire NFL picks aren't going to care about playing in a mayonnaise or Gasparilla bowl.

Football is about love. On a football team... you have to love one another, worry about playing for your brother beside you and working together as a group to achieve. I hope our guys/coaches play for each other, for their university and fans and not worry about "hating" Clemson....and things will go the right direction. With that said - I hate Clemson. I can...I'm not on the team; I'm just a fan. I despise Dabo and a lot of what he does even though I respect some (not most) of the ways he runs his program.
But, I hope our kids play for each other, and REALLY start the building incline leading into a bowl game. A Clemson win, bowl practice and a good showing in a bowl will do more for helping these coaches (and their non-star studded names) recruit than anything else. This game is hugely important for more than just the normal reasons it typically is this time of year. To h#ll with Clemson and their little, shytty paw from the 80s on midfield. Looked like 1st graders drew and colored that in. I hope our offensive coaches take a play out of the 2018 playbook (the ONE game I liked B. Mac's offensive approach) and OSUs recent approach of not letting their bank of coaches up top cheat/steal/swindle their defense into perfect calls. To h#ll with Clemson....Go Cocks.
a lot perfect calls last night boss

Reactions: LegalTiger
So tell me how you FORCE someone to play a game they don't want to play in? Especially in a violent sport like football.

What happens when they decide they're not going to block on a blitz and your QB gets injured? Or he doesn't run the routes he's supposed to? What happens then? How do MAKE them not only play, but play well?

The obvious answer is you can't. Fans need to get over their hurt feelings and just deal with the fact that many sure-fire NFL picks aren't going to care about playing in a mayonnaise or Gasparilla bowl.
An incentive of several hundred thousand dollars might change their mind.

More to the point, I would like to see leagues such as the XFL grow, and those individuals who don't care about a college education can go straight there after high school, and leave college to those who do care about getting an education.

An incentive of several hundred thousand dollars might change their mind.

More to the point, I would like to see leagues such as the XFL grow, and those individuals who don't care about a college education can go straight there after high school, and leave college to those who do care about getting an education.
Regarding your first point, it's simply NEVER going to happen. And the NCAA won't touch that because they are a toothless organization now.

As to your second point, I would like to see the XFL become a viable league too. The problem is that many athletes know it's a HUGE gamble to sign with them right out of HS.

Because the moment they accept a meager paycheck (by comparison) from another football league, their NCAA eligibility is shot. And pretty much every upstart league since the USFL has folded after only one year. Then what?

They're out of a job AND they can't play anywhere else to gain experience and sharpen their skills for two years and basically become an afterthought to the NFL.

Reactions: USCBatgirl21
Regarding your first point, it's simply NEVER going to happen. And the NCAA won't touch that because they are a toothless organization now.

As to your second point, I would like to see the XFL become a viable league too. The problem is that many athletes know it's a HUGE gamble to sign with them right out of HS.

Because the moment they accept a meager paycheck (by comparison) from another football league, their NCAA eligibility is shot. And pretty much every upstart league since the USFL has folded after only one year. Then what?

They're out of a job AND they can't play anywhere else to gain experience and sharpen their skills for two years and basically become an afterthought to the NFL.
Leagues such as the XFL and AAF know they they cannot compete with the NFL. They have to work with the NFL as "feeder" leagues.

Would like to see football work more like baseball in this regard.

Leagues such as the XFL and AAF know they they cannot compete with the NFL. They have to work with the NFL as "feeder" leagues.

Would like to see football work more like baseball in this regard.
But what would be the NFL's incentive for doing this? College football is their current feeder system. And it's 100% free.

I'm sure the NFL wouldn't mind if a spring football league stuck around and produced some quality players for them to poach. But there's no way that I can see that the NFL would voluntarily end their gravy train with college football.

I don't like it when they sit out, but I agree, you can't make them play. However they do basically sign a contract to play for a school in exchange for a free education and everything else that comes along with it. IMO, if they opt to sit out, it should be in their scholarship they should have to repay the cost of the scholarship and should not travel with the team....they basically buy-out their contract and move on.

I don't like it when they sit out, but I agree, you can't make them play. However they do basically sign a contract to play for a school in exchange for a free education and everything else that comes along with it. IMO, if they opt to sit out, it should be in their scholarship they should have to repay the cost of the scholarship and should not travel with the team....they basically buy-out their contract and move on.
The problem with this scenario is that players are not contracted employees. Therefore any talk of this stuff is completely uninforceable by law.

With the millions of dollars these players help bring in to the University and to the coaches, paying players' tuition and school related costs is simply the cost of doing business. And it's really just a drop in the bucket.

But what would be the NFL's incentive for doing this? College football is their current feeder system. And it's 100% free.

I'm sure the NFL wouldn't mind if a spring football league stuck around and produced some quality players for them to poach. But there's no way that I can see that the NFL would voluntarily end their gravy train with college football.
You are correct. Unfortunately, there's no incentive for the NFL to invest in a minor league system. And a spring league has to know that the NFL will "poach them" for elite talent.

With time, patience, good management/marketing, and lots of capital, a league such as the XFL could achieve this. The pandemic did not help.

But then, how many P5 schools would "complain" about "talent poaching" by the XFL?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT