ADVERTISEMENT

Stop Blaming Thornwell for all of our problems!!

Sending an SOS

Aug 20, 2005
He messed up, but our issues do not end with him.

The sad reality is:

1) We are horrible defensively. As much as people like to tout our aggressiveness, it's as much a weakness as a strength. I'm tired of our guys getting beat and fouling almost every time down the court.

2) One of our SGs is a shadow of his former self. He's effectively shot us out of several games. No one should count on him being the guy unless he just happens to get on a lucky streak.

3) Another experienced SG can't really shoot, and he makes questionable decisions too.

4) Our front court is very inconsistent. And 2 of the players are just big guys with very little else to offer.

Would we have won of these games we lost with Thronwell? Maybe - but these glaring weaknesses still exist, and it will contribute to why we miss the NCAA tournament yet again...

There is a reason a player on the team is called "the best player". It's not like a player who never plays is suspended. It's the micheal jordan of this team.

Reactions: lawcalcock
A tournament team should never have to rely on one person only. We don't pass the eye test at all...

that's utterly ridiculous...this team was ranked 16 before Thornwell's absence tanked the season...they more than passed the eye test for any competent fan watching

Reactions: tngamecock#
that's utterly ridiculous...this team was ranked 16 before Thornwell's absence tanked the season...they more than passed the eye test for any competent fan watching
Because they beat 2 unranked big name teams? Got it. They "might" be a tournament team with Thornwell. Might is the operative word...

Because they beat 2 unranked big name teams? Got it. They "might" be a tournament team with Thornwell. Might is the operative word...

You claimed they didn't pass the eye test...They obviously did to folks more objective than you...Who knows the ifs and what about thats...Whats for sure is we are not a tournament now

You claimed they didn't pass the eye test...They obviously did to folks more objective than you...Who knows the ifs and what about thats...Whats for sure is we are not a tournament now
How can you say that? They hadn't even started conference play. But you're right, it doesn't matter right now. And the uphill battle is significant at this point...

How can you say that? They hadn't even started conference play. But you're right, it doesn't matter right now. And the uphill battle is significant at this point...

we have 10 wins...2 of which the committee will not count...Beating Lander was a waste of time..So for all NCAA considerations we have 8 wins...You tell me how we get to 22-24 wins? The SEC is not respected enough for 20 wins to get us in...we just lost 3 resume games, 1 on our home floor, because our best player possibly smoked a joint

Reactions: rogue cock
we have 10 wins...2 of which the committee will not count...Beating Lander was a waste of time..So for all NCAA considerations we have 8 wins...You tell me how we get to 22-24 wins? The SEC is not respected enough for 20 wins to get us in...we just lost 3 resume games, 1 on our home floor, because our best player possibly smoked a joint
What in the world are you talking about? I'm lost.

We are South Carolina. We always fold in basketball when it gets crunch time with games that matter. Get used to it. We have an AD that is in over his head and just happy to have a desk job. He does t demand excellence

We are South Carolina. We always fold in basketball when it gets crunch time with games that matter. Get used to it. We have an AD that is in over his head and just happy to have a desk job. He does t demand excellence
It seems very likely at this point that we won't win a championship at any level in men's football, basketball or baseball with the current AD... unless he wises up and acknowledges that winning games is the real measure of success in sports.

What in the world are you talking about? I'm lost.

Yes you are completely lost..it's straight forward common sense..the NCAA selection committee will not count our opening season win nor our win over Lander...In their eyes we have 8 wins...The question is how do we get to 23-24 wins...Since the SEC is considered a weak basketball league, 20 wins will not get us in the tournament

It seems very likely at this point that we won't win a championship at any level in men's football, basketball or baseball with the current AD... unless he wises up and acknowledges that winning games is the real measure of success in sports.

How dare you suggest we wont win respect the world over for suspending players 6 games for their "second pot"...:D

A tournament team should never have to rely on one person only. We don't pass the eye test at all...

That's silly. There are plenty of tournament teams in any given year that would be NIT or worse without their star player.

Does anyone remember any of our rivals benching their star player for unknown reasons in any sport? I just can't remember a situation similar to this.

Reactions: lawcalcock
We have a very limited roster of talent, its not a really deep team because we never really recruit anyone that is really good, this is not a big mystery. If we recruited 1 to 2 of the top 100 players every year we would be good, we dont so we are always basically going to be what we have been for the last 30 years. Nothing is going to change until we pay about 1.5 million dollars per year more for a top coach that can recruit. If we dont do this, then nothing is going to change, but look on the bright side we make a lot of money from our fans pockets, we just dont spend it on success.

Yes you are completely lost..it's straight forward common sense..the NCAA selection committee will not count our opening season win nor our win over Lander...In their eyes we have 8 wins...The question is how do we get to 23-24 wins...Since the SEC is considered a weak basketball league, 20 wins will not get us in the tournament
No - you're the one lost. My whole post is about the Gamecocks not being good enough to make the tournament (with or without Thornwell). So, I ask again. What's your point?

That's silly. There are plenty of tournament teams in any given year that would be NIT or worse without their star player.

Does anyone remember any of our rivals benching their star player for unknown reasons in any sport? I just can't remember a situation similar to this.
Maybe their guys are following the rules. Or maybe they are not following the level of player ethics that we expect from our athletes.

Maybe their guys are following the rules. Or maybe they are not following the level of player ethics that we expect from our athletes.

I guess so. We must be the only program in the country whose top player has ever broken the rules and/or the only program in the country that has ever disciplined their top player for unknown reasons for 6 games, lolz

none of our rivals are that stupid

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT