ADVERTISEMENT

***The Inside Word (QB position, huge batch of recruiting notes)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris Clark

Football/Recruiting Insider
Jan 3, 2005
Gamecock Football Notes

First off, if you missed my spring practice impressions from Saturday, check them out here.

One area I wanted to spend some extra attention on in this edition is the quarterback position. Folks around the program believe that the "health" of the USC quarterback position is the best it's been in quite some time. Right off the bat, two guys are available that USC's staff fully trusts in Connor Shaw and Dylan Thompson, and it's no secret that both will play this season.

Getting to the backups, Connor Mitch had a very good spring and just doesn't look like your typical true freshman as I have said many times. He will likely end up redshirting barring a bad run of injuries at the position, but USC is pleased with where he is at this point.

Redshirt freshman Brendan Nosovitch is intriguing as well. Nosovitch seemed to perform well in scrimmages, but had some struggles along the way during spring ball. One should notice that most of those struggles were in one-on-one or seven-on-seven settings, and part of Nosovitch's accuracy issues during those times were related to mechanics. He's always had raw talent (you don't throw for 12,000 yards against good competition in high school by accident), but there were some mechanical things he needed to clean up at USC and he is still working on those things to a degree. He's one of those "gamer" type of players in that he performs better when the lines are on the field and it's a game-simulated atmosphere. That's why his best spring practice of the year was during the spring game. He was being decisive and was the most accurate I've seen him this spring. Nosovitch of course also brings the running aspect to the position.

Even when thinking about walk-on Perry Orth, he probably has more talent than just about any other walk-on Gamecock QB I can recall under Spurrier.

Rivals Camp Series - Charlotte

In the previous edition of The Inside Word, we brought you a detailed breakdown of the loaded Rivals Camp Series presented by Under Armour in Atlanta. This Sunday, the camp series stop was in Charlotte, North Carolina and another excellent collection of talent was on hand to compete. Here is detailed analysis of what we saw in drills and one-on-ones, plus a large batch of recruiting notes we have gathered.

Josh Low's Breakdown

South Carolina's top target at running back, Derrell Scott (Havelock, N.C.) showcased his speed and quickness on Sunday. It was easy to see he can get to his top end speed real quickly during drills. He was solid during one-on-ones and has good hands.

Scott told us the Gamecocks are still his leader followed by Florida State. South Carolina is the only place he has visited this spring. He does plan on getting down to Florida State and Ohio State during the summer. He told us that he isn't sure when he will make a decision but he would like to take some official visits.

Receiver Braxton Berrios (Raleigh, N.C./Leesville Road) was one of the top receiver prospects at the camp. His quickness is obviously his biggest strength but I was impressed with his leaping ability and how consistent he was with his hands. He caught pretty much everything thrown his way. He also showed a knack for getting separation from the defensive back and getting open on his routes. He does run pretty good routes.

On the recruiting front, Berrios isn't naming leaders but I still believe that the Gamecocks are in a good spot right now. He plans on enrolling early and a decision should come before September, possibly during the summer. Berrios was on campus for the Garnet and Black Spring Game and the next time he comes to campus he will likely be staying overnight. That should happen either later this spring or during the summer. Here is our story on Berrios that was published Sunday night if you missed it.

I thought tight end [/URL]Kevin Crosby (Bamberg, S.C./Bamberg-Ehrhardt) had a solid day during one-on-ones. This has been said about him a ton of times but he is smooth running his routes. He caught mostly everything thrown his way. He will play an h-back role in most offenses but I still would be intrigued to see him on the defensive side of the ball. I still believe the Gamecocks are in the best shape and a decision will come during the summer, most likely in June.

Sunday was the first time anyone was able to see 2015 defensive linemen Albert Huggins? (Orangeburg, S.C./Orangeburg-Wilkinson) in the same setting. They didn't disappoint. I think the battle for the number one player in the state is very close and it is definitely between those two. Either way it shakes out, both should end up being high four-stars and probably top-100 type prospects.

Blackshear absolutely dominated during one-on-ones today. The competition wasn't great (as far as quality OL) but he still did what he was supposed to do. He beat his guy to the outside with speed and then he used a move to beat his guy inside as well. He probably has more upside than Huggins does. He has a great frame and should fill out to look like a NFL defensive end one day.

Huggins also had a good day during one-on-ones. I don't think he dominated like Blackshear did but he still won his matchups. I still believe that he will end growing into a defensive tackle and will be a great athlete in the middle. He has a great combination of speed and strength.

Blackshear and Huggins are both playing things close to the vest right now with recruiting and favorites. Neither named any favorites and both said they wanted to wait until they were seniors to do so again. I think South Carolina has a better shot with Blackshear and would still say they are the team to beat with him. I think the Gamecocks are in it with Huggins but I still believe Clemson is the team to watch out for with him. The Gamecocks need to get him back on campus. He hasn't made many visits since the football season ended.

Another 2015 defensive end that fans don't need to sleep on is Michael Barnett (Ridgeville, S.C./Woodland). Barnett has a good frame like Blackshear and should end up being a top-10 guy in-state next year, maybe top-five. He is sitting on offers from N.C. State and Virginia Tech and I think it is only a matter of time before the in-state schools pull the trigger as well.

I think everyone that is a member of our website knows how high I am on 2016 quarterback Avery McCall (Dillon, S.C.). After watching him throw a lot on Sunday, I'm even higher on him. I think he is going to be special. The only critique I have on him from Sunday is that he wasn't always accurate on his touch passes. Otherwise, he was really good.

The easy comparison for him is to Everett Golson and I definitely see that, but I think he has a higher upside than Golson had coming out of Myrtle Beach. He was throwing the deep ball really well and has a big arm. He was very accurate on the short passes when he was putting zip on it. He also spins it very well and throws a catchable ball. To add on to his arm, he is a heck of an athlete back there with very good feet. I would be very surprised if he isn't a big time recruit when his time comes. I expect him to put up some really good stats next season. South Carolina is in a good spot with him right now.

South Carolina recently stepped forward with an offer to class of 2014 defensive end Harold Landry (Fayetteville, N.C./Pine Forest). Based on talking with someone close to him and knows what he is thinking, I would be surprised if his commitment to Boston College ended up sticking. It should only be a matter of time before he opens up his recruitment and I expect the Gamecocks to be in the mix.

Landry had a good day during one-on-ones. I was impressed with his speed off the edge. He is more of a hybrid type of guy right now but should grow into a true defensive end.

I was a little down on defensive tackle Naquez Pringle (Hemingway, S.C./Carver's Bay) after the Nike Camp in Charlotte last month but I thought he redeemed himself on Sunday. He dominated the offensive linemen he went up against on the inside. He was quick off the ball and beating them with his first move. He definitely looks the part as a defensive tackle. I'm definitely a lot higher on him now than I was last month.

There has been a lot of talk about 2015 defensive tackle Shy Tuttle (Lexington, N.C./North Davidson) being the top player in North Carolina for 2015 and I thought he lived up to that hype on Sunday. He was also very impressive during one-on-ones. He looks like a million bucks on the hoof and has the skills to back it up.

Another in-state 2015 prospect to watch out for is athlete Freddie Phillips (Pelion, S.C.). Phillips worked at receiver on Sunday and I think that is where his biggest upside is on the next level. He is put together really well and looks solid. He made some impressive catches on Sunday and I liked the way he ran his routes. He is a lot more polished as a receiver than I thought he was. I think he will be someone that camps at South Carolina over the summer and I wouldn't be surprised if the Gamecocks went on him. He is waiting on his first offer but he should definitely end up being a BCS prospect.

Chris Clark's Breakdown

A Gamecock legacy won the OL MVP award at Sunday's Rivals Camp, and that was Charlotte (N.C.) Ardrey Kell 2015 prospect Mason Veal. He is actually a double legacy, as his father Dylan Veal played offensive line for USC from 1987-1990 and his mother Angie Lear played softball for the Gamecocks from 1988-1991. She still holds the USC record for fewest walk per seven innings pitched, is the career leader in fewest walks per seven innings pitched, second in single season complete games, third in career wins, second in career innings pitched, and is listed in the record books in several other categories.

Veal has not heard much from the Gamecocks yet, but I am told he hopes to hear from them soon. If Shawn Elliott does begin showing more interest in the future, I have no doubt the Gamecocks would become a major factor.

I will break down several other prospects here from a on the field and recruiting standpoint:

Ridgeville (S.C.) Woodland DE Michael Barnett: He already has NC State and Tennessee offers, and will have a chance to earn one either in South Carolina's summer camp or perhaps before. I like Barnett's mentality and his frame, which can definitely add weight. He's got to get stronger and bigger, but the tools are there.

Raleigh (N.C.) Leesville Road WR Braxton Berrios: Everyone that frequents our site knows that I am a Berrios fan; he's not a big receiver but he's a heck of a competitor, catches absolutely everything that he should, and has surprising athleticism. The defensive backs started giving him huge cushions during one-on-ones. He's a perfect slot receiver type; he can get downfield and catch deep balls but he's very adept at finding open space and running after the catch, particularly over the middle.

Bluffton (S.C.) 2015 DE Shameik Blackshear: Looking at the film comparison between the state's top two prospects in Blackshear and Albert Huggins, there is no doubt that Huggins has the better of the two reels. However, Blackshear left no doubt that he was the best defensive lineman on the field in camp yesterday in a group that included Huggins and many other talented guys and that he may have the biggest upside.

Bamberg (S.C.) Bamberg-Ehrhardt ATH Kevin Crosby: Seemed to get paired up with quarterbacks that were not as strong on Sunday; good route runner, although not tall he's big-bodied and knows how to wall off defenders to make a catch even on jump balls. Crosby looks like the perfect h-back. I spoke with him about recruiting, but he did not have anything to say that was different from the last time we spoke with him. He's still not going to name any leaders between Alabama, Clemson, Florida, North Carolina, and South Carolina and his last visit was to USC for spring practice. He may visit Clemson, Florida, and UNC before wrapping up the process this summer. Crosby said on Sunday that his decision would come in June or July. We are still hearing more likely June, and still hearing USC has an edge.

Irmo (S.C.) Dutch Fork 2016 athlete Stephen Davis Jr.: Added an offer from Tennessee to his early list. He has very good size and athleticism to boot. I didn't get to watch him a lot on Sunday, but did talk to him about his recruitment. His very early top three remains Florida, Georgia, and South Carolina. He has a good head on his shoulders already about the recruiting process.

Gaffney (S.C.) ATH Shaq Davidson last season as a running back (Davidson was the QB) on Gaffney's state champion team. On Sunday, he worked out at receiver and was one of the best guys on the field. He reminds some of Bruce Ellington (he actually favors him a bit and was wearing number 23 yesterday), although he's not as thick as Ellington was coming out of high school and not as talented (which is no knock on Foster). I don't see Foster as a guy that USC will get to in this class, but West Virginia assistant Lonnie Galloway kept interest in Foster once he left Wake Forest for Morgantown. I think Foster would be a tremendous fit there at WVU.

Orangeburg (S.C.) Orangeburg-Wilkinson DL Albert Huggins: I wouldn't say that Huggins was dominant on Sunday, but he was good. He was working outside, whereas he will be inside at the next level. I think he could easily get up to 300 pounds or so of good weight. I just really like Huggins' skill set and think he could be equally adept as a run-stopper or inside pass-rusher. Huggins is someone who's going to keep his leaders quiet for quite some time. A key for the Gamecocks is getting him on campus soon to meet in person with new defensive line coach Deke Adams, something that just has not materialized yet primarily due to Huggins' schedule.

Fayetteville (N.C.) Pine Forest DE Harold Landry: This Boston College commitment is a very intriguing prospect. He still looks like someone that could play linebacker, but clearly has the frame to grow into a defensive end which is what South Carolina projects him as at the next level. Landry measured in at the Shrine Bowl Combine recently at 6-foot-4, 228 pounds and turned in a best time of 4.62 seconds in the forty yard dash. Watching him on Sunday at Rivals Camp, I like his frame and his speed off the edge. He has the athleticism to be a plus pass-rusher. Echoing what Josh said, I heard the same at the camp regarding Landry's Boston College pledge. Even though Landry told me last week he was solid "for now", the word is that he could very well head elsewhere when all is said and done given the interest he's picked up lately on the recruiting trail.

Wake Forest (N.C.) Wake Forest-Rolesville RB Bryce Love: This 2015 RB unfortunately sustained a minor injury early in the camp during drills, but he's got some speed. His father Chris Love played at South Carolina in 1998 and Bryce has visited USC more than once. He already has six scholarship offers.

Dillon (S.C.) QB Avery McCall: It's almost mind-boggling to consider that McCall is just a freshman who's played in just several varsity games. He's clearly not as good as he's going to be, but I think the sky is the limit for him particularly if he grows another two-three inches between now and when he signs in 2016. His footwork, pocket presence, arm - all advanced for his age. He showed the ability to roll to his right and deliver accurate darts yesterday. The one area he struggled some was on touch passes, particularly on the corner routes. Lobbing balls down the field, throwing slants, getting the ball out in front with a tight spiral, he can do all of that. He is one of those prospects you would be impressed with if he was a senior from a throwing standpoint, and to consider that he's a 2016 prospect is very impressive. Easy to see why he has four (USC, Tennessee, ECU, UNC) offers already.

Georgetown (SC) Carvers Bay DT Naquez Pringle: I'll second Josh in that Pringle had a much stronger performance than he did at the Charlotte NFTC where conditions were just terrible. I still think Pringle has to reshape his body and drop some bad weight, but he's a strong young man. He does not have a great array of pass-rushing moves nor great quickness, but he knows how to use his strength and yesterday he played with an attitude that I liked. I think it will be interesting to see where his recruitment turns over these next several months, as both Clemson and South Carolina appear to be taking a wait-and-see approach on him.

Duncan (S.C.) Byrnes WR/TE Tavin Richardson: Worked out as a tight end on Sunday, and the 2015 prospect has good size and can run. His hands are not as consistent as they could be, but he has the skill set that has caused Boston College and Maryland to jump in with early offers. He visited Georgia and Georgia Tech recently but has not heard a lot from the in-state programs as of yet.

Swansboro (N.C.) ATH DeAndre Thompkins: As we told you all recently, USC recently got involved with Thompkins. He does not have an offer yet from the Gamecocks but could pick one up soon. I liked what I saw from Thompkins at receiver; he's smooth, is a tough cover because of his quickness and route-running ability and has good hands. He has some interest in the Gamecocks, from my understanding.

Lexington (N.C.) North Davidson DT Shy Tuttle: The sophomore is big, and he's powerful. His film is very good, and he impressed on Sunday in a camp setting as well. With his size, he is just so tough for offensive linemen to move and get their hands on, allowing him to get into the backfield just using raw power. He told me North Carolina stood out to him right now early on, but wants to visit South Carolina. One note of interest here is that he is familiar with Deke Adams from his time as a Tarheel assistant and he also likes USC's defensive line successes.

New London (N.C.) North Stanly RB Antonio Williams: The 2016 back was one of the best looking backs in a strong group yesterday; his size jumped out as his high school coach told us he had put on nearly 20 pounds of good weight. He's a great kid, just has the look of a big-time talent as well. South Carolina of course has offered; it's very early but I feel Georgia is the team that has caught his interest the most.

Other Gamecock recruiting notes

Today (April 15) marks the beginning of the spring evaluation period. Some of USC's assistant coaches (head coach is not allowed to go out at this time) will be on the road this week checking in on some 2014 as well as underclassmen products. Throughout this week, we will be bringing you all any relevant returns and feedback from those stops.

USC is slated to drop by the school of four-star DT Dexter Wideman today. From what I've picked up, the concentration this week is going to be hitting schools in the Palmetto State.

The prospect that everyone wants to know about after this weekend is Kentucky four-star signal-caller Drew Barker and where things stand with him. The short answer is that exiting this weekend's overnight trip to see Kentucky's spring game, it's still looking like a Kentucky/South Carolina battle and both programs appear to still be in it from what I have heard. I do not believe Barker has made any sort of final decision yet and still trust that he's thinking things over. To that end, I don't believe any sort of speculation (and I haven't heard it from anyone I trust, anyways) that he's made up his mind for the Wildcats after this weekend. From my experience covering recruiting, you don't find that prospects that have their minds made up consistently contact another program, which is the case with G.A. Mangus and Barker keeping in regular contact (even after the Kentucky visit wrapped this week).

Additionally, I've heard multiple times throughout the course of this recruitment that Kentucky has been playing catch up even up until this weekend with the Gamecocks. I still believe USC had the edge going into this trip; we will see sometime in the near future how much ground the Cats made up there. Both schools have some reason for confidence, which to me points to what I said earlier: Barker hasn't made his mind up yet. I know Kentucky didn't have any other quarterbacks on campus this weekend to try to give Barker that solo attention. They have had recent commitment Thaddeus Snodgrass working him, a couple of guys he's acquainted with from Ohio could commit to Kentucky soon, and his friend/teammate from Conner High Cameron Fogle has accepted a preferred walk-on offer from Kentucky. Mark Stoops and staff's primary pitch to Barker has been of course the opportunity to try to help change the culture at Kentucky as well as possible early playing time. South Carolina has younger quarterbacks on the roster just like Barker, but he could easily come in and compete very early in his career particularly if he enrolled early. Just being honest, South Carolina's program/football fanbase is also more established than Kentucky's which is another Gamecock selling point to him.

I'm still hearing an early May decision is possible for Barker. I wouldn't be surprised in the least if it came before that. You can expect Kentucky, South Carolina and others to drop by his school during the spring evaluation period. I would anticipate USC being there once Barker gets rolling with practice soon to watch him work out. Personally, I believe Barker's going to make his own decision and not let the fact that some friends and guys he knows are heading to Lexington. He knows and has befriended some guys that are heavy Gamecock leans as well and tracks the recruitment of guys USC is recruiting also. That sort of thing certainly helps Kentucky, but I do believe Barker will do what's best for him. That could be South Carolina, or it could be Kentucky. I can't call it either way at this stage with any sort of certainty and I think anyone who does call it with certainty doesn't know much about the situation, just being honest. I do think USC had the edge going into this weekend, as I said, but it's going to remain a battle down the stretch. The key question to me is really whether or not Barker wants to stay home or if he wants to branch out elsewhere. CatsIllustrated.com should have an interview with Barker wrapping up his Kentucky visit and giving the latest at some point soon and we will certainly link that for you all here on the site once it is live. Kentucky had to overcome a big, big lead the Gamecocks had on them once Stoops was hired and some believe the Cats won't be able to do it.

One 2015 prospect that South Carolina has already offered is Suwanee (Ga.) North Gwinnett OL Lorenzo Carter at the camp, but that he will have that opportunity in North Gwinnett's third game of the season. He said that facing off against Carter is "all he thinks about" when he's working out heading into this season.

Hyatt already has an impressive double-digit offer list. His uncle, Dan Benish played for Clemson and he's grown up a fan of the Tigers. From what he's saying however, he's keeping an open mind to other programs including South Carolina. He told me recently that he hopes to visit Columbia over the summer or for a game. I feel like he's the type of prospect that could mesh well with USC OL coach Shawn Elliott, so I think it will be interesting to get feedback on that trip if it happens.

One source that it is very close to the situation reiterated over the weekend what we have been hearing lately on Shaq Davidson, that USC has opened up probably the largest lead the Gamecocks have had at any point in the process. As the source put it, USC "could be the one" for him. I still expect Davidson, at this point, to do something in terms of a decision before his senior season.

Summerville (S.C.) DB Darin Smalls informed me that he does not plan on announcing a decision until signing day 2014. We will see whether or not that ends up happening as there is a lot of time between now and then, but Smalls says he wants to take as much time as possible to make his choice. USC is in good position for the Lowcountry DB, who picked up an offer from Tennessee on Monday.

The last time I updated USC's potential numbers for the 2014 class, I said that I believed the Gamecocks' OL class would probably go two-deep, with the USC staff's hope that it would consist of four-stars Orlando Brown, who still has the Gamecocks high on his list.

I also hear that USC could offer in the near future Jacksonville (Fla.) Providence OL David Sharpe, who has great size and athleticism and is also a basketball player. From what I've picked up, he would have some interest in visiting USC although he may be tough to keep out of the state of Florida when all is said and done.

USC continues to be one of the favorites for Kansas DL Peyton Newell. He told us after his visit to USC back in January that he already planned on making USC one of his officials. The other two programs I hear most often for Newell are Georgia and Nebraska.

Georgia has been the big favorite for Cedartown (Ga.) RB Nick Chubb, but I would not be surprised if he opted to visit South Carolina sometime in the near future.

Thanks to everyone for reading The Inside Word. With the amount of content produced on the site, it is easy to miss something. Please be sure that you have bookmarked our content archive so that you can check it often and never miss a thing on the site!

Want your friend or family member to get information like you do from GamecockCentral.com and need an idea for a gift? How about a gift subscription? That's right, now you can customize a subscription for those you are close with and give the gift of GamecockCentral! You also get free time on the site if you give a gift of 12 months or more! Follow the link to check out the packages!

Also remember that you can save money on your membership to GamecockCentral.com. All you have to do if you are a monthly member is upgrade to annual billing and you will save 20% over the course of the year on your subscription costs. Upgrade by clicking here.

Are you on Twitter? Make sure you're following us: [URL=https://twitter.com/GCJoshLow

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News