ADVERTISEMENT

The most likely scenario for this weekend's game...(7:15 p.m. update)

Chris Clark

Football/Recruiting Insider
Jan 3, 2005
7:10 p.m. update - Just in the past few hours or so, this thing has taken a bit of a turn. As you can imagine, folks on both sides (USC/UGA) and in the conference have been working on this thing to get it to work out. As of a few hours ago, the most likely scenario did look like Sunday, as I said. South Carolina does not want to move this game away from Columbia and does not want to lose the game overall, so there's very much been a hope that it could be played.

Logistically, it's become apparent that playing even on Sunday could be more difficult than originally thought. I don't know what the particulars are in that regard, so I wouldn't be able to pass on any details on that. At this point, I'd say there is indeed a chance the game is not going to be played this weekend at all. Playing Sunday has not been explicitly ruled out to my knowledge, but it seems like it's in danger of not happening on that date now as well. Of course, USC would like to get it in on that day if at all possible. Now, would that leave Monday as an option under that scenario? It would - but here's the other side. Georgia would, for obvious reasons, not be keen on playing a game in another state on Monday and then turning around to play another game the next Saturday. That's an extremely quick turnaround and recovery time and cuts significantly into practice and preparation.

So, if it doesn't take place sometime between Saturday-Monday? South Carolina, again, does not want to lose the opportunity to play this game at home. One legitimate scenario, such as the one posed for LSU/UF to reschedule their games and move around other scheduled opponents, is to move it to another date later in the season.

Georgia has a bye week the Saturday that USC plays against UMass, for example. Hypothetically, if all parties agreed then USC could play the Dawgs in Columbia on that date and either move UMass or buy the game out. Just a possibility, if things can't work out for this weekend. I think everyone is still working on the situation and I gather that again, still no final resolution.

Earlier update: From what I'm gathering, no final decision has been made on the game, but...

I currently believe the most likely scenario is for this game to be played on Sunday, likely in the afternoon as Wes mentioned earlier.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News