ADVERTISEMENT

The NCAA is setting a dangerous precedent

Gamekem

Apr 3, 2019
College sports is basically full on pro league at this point. A former UCONN WBB player who was benchwarmer that played some garbage minutes this season had transferred from their program in December. A month later the NCAA magically allows her a waiver to play immediately yesterday despite no hardship claims.
At this point all we're missing in season trades for players and cap space. I can only imagine the uproar that will happen when a star QB gets beat out for the starting role, transfers to another contender and beats their former team all in a few weeks.

I think this transfer rule is being tweaked right now. They are going to allow transfers, but only in specific windows of time. This one is getting in under the wire as I can't think of anyone (besides Virginia WBB) that supports this.

Reactions: Gamecockben1979
I think this transfer rule is being tweaked right now. They are going to allow transfers, but only in specific windows of time. This one is getting in under the wire as I can't think of anyone (besides Virginia WBB) that supports this.
I don't know it seems like one of those things where once you open that can of worms, how do you put it back in.

I don't understand why it's bad for players to transfer when they want to but it's okay for coaches to leave whenever they want.
If you are going to restrict players, which this thread seems to suppor, why not restrict or penalize coaches?
This is about restricting the ability of players to transfer in the middle of the season from one school and playing immediately during that same season for a different school. Even coaches aren't doing that. This isn't about restricting transfers in the offseason.

I don't understand why it's bad for players to transfer when they want to but it's okay for coaches to leave whenever they want.
If you are going to restrict players, which this thread seems to suppor, why not restrict or penalize coaches?
I have no problem with players transferring that's not my issue. The issue here is that a player transferred midseason and is already playing for another team. Having that much fluidity within a season can lead to a lot chaos.

I would agree with that, although I'm not sure I remember a coach switching teams to coach for another team in the middle of the season. Probably has happened, but I just don't remember.

I would agree with that, although I'm not sure I remember a coach switching teams to coach for another team in the middle of the season. Probably has happened, but I just don't remember.
I agree that coaches don't leave mid season.
The closest we've had to that is when a coach leaves before a bowl game, which we have had.

I remember playing in a slow pitch softball tournament (Iris Festival in Sumter) many years ago. They did not require rosters so one team decides to pick up the best player or two from teams as they are eliminated. Needless to say, that team easily defeated us in the finals as we stayed with our original team of friends. Would be quite entertaining if the College Football Playoffs expands some day and the transfer rules become so lax a team attempts this. 😎

• Haha
Reactions: DrMickey
Does anyone find it bizarre how unorganized this entire transition continues to be, as if it's almost by design?

They've been thinking/planning for well over a decade and everything in its current state is on the fly. Either complete incompetence or planned incompetence. Difficult to determine.

It’s really just the numbers thing. A coach is usually one person.

If 20 players transfer, a school can’t really recover.

It’s really just the numbers thing. A coach is usually one person.

If 20 players transfer, a school can’t really recover.
True but...these coaches leaving are driving up salaries like crazy, which is hard for some schools to compete/ recover.

I think hardship should be a primary factor, and not getting the starting job should not qualify as "hardship."

That’s on the schools. They should just refuse to pay these absurd salaries.
I agree but I don't know how it can be stopped.
I do think it's a shame because the average fan with an average income is going to be priced out of attending.

The issue here is that a player transferred midseason and is already playing for another team. Having that much fluidity within a season can lead to a lot chaos.
Like the player that played one Friday night for Gilbert and the next week suited up for Dutch Fork. 😠🤔

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT